You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Gingerbread houses
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:33 am 

I noticed in Shoppers Drug Mart that they are selling kits to make rice crispie Christmas houses. I believe the kits were only 9.99 and came with the rice crispies etc.

I only made a mental note of it as I didn't have time to really check it out but it looks promising!

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:36 am 

We made the gingerbread train from the set sold at Loblaws last Christmas and everything was okay for my daughter. It was easy to make. I forget the company but we talked about it last year on the forum. I see in the A&P flyer that the same company has gingerbread house sets too. We hope to make it this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have to re-read this thread completely as last year we only had egg and dairy allergies but now add peanut and tree nuts.
We may still be bale to buy a gingerbread house...
Another thing we did last year was to make Rice Crispies with green food colouring and press them into a Christmas Tree pan (for the dollar store). We decorated it with Skittles and Fruitloop Winders (they pull apart into strings).
You could decorate with whatever candies are safe.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:04 pm 

Bad news. The same gingerbread train we made last year now has a peanut warning on it. The gingerbread house does also. I wonder if the package should of had a warning last year. My kids will be disappointed but I have a plan B. I just bought a new cookie cutter set from Avon. It has all of the characters from the original Rudolph movie and the cookies stand up to become 3D. The kids are excited about making the snow monster (I can't spell his name).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:02 pm 

kate, someone called last year and the "Create-A-Treat" people indicated that it was the candies that "may contain" peanuts/nuts. Someone suggested tossing the candies and using your own safe ones. Maybe give them a call and confirm what exactly "may contain" the nuts... the candies or the gingerbread. I think I'll call too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:37 pm 

Please post when you find out. I was looking at that kit today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 pm 

Last year there was no warning on the train kit and I am sure that I called about it. I will have to confirm what is up with the new label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:52 pm 

Karen is there a number for the Liberty Royal Icing Mix? I haven't seen it in stores here (perhaps not looking in the right places) and I don't get good "company" information when I google for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:42 am 

Renie -- I saw it at the "Bulk Barn" -- it's in a clear plastic package with a white label and plain black writing on it. No frills. As it gets closer to Xmas, they (Bulk Barn) usually have displays of stuff to make gingerbread houses out, and it's amongst the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 am 

My boys and I are all fired up about making a gingerbread house this year. I've never done it before...never had the inclination, and then had no idea how to get around the egg allergy. So thanks to all of the great info on here (Yay Allergic Living Forum! :D ), and some "googling" around on the net we have recipes, and a plan, and we're going to take a whack at it. I'm going to the bulk barn to try to find the Liberty Royal Icing mix this weekend.

My question is about time frame...I know that gingerbread houses are generally more for decoration than consumption, but my guys want to be able to eat the fruits of our labor, and I don't want to spend 2 days making something that is gone an hour after we're finished! So does anyone with gingerbread experience know how long you can display a gingerbread house, and it still be good for eating?

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 pm 

Yay! I've just discovered that "Orbit Cookies" (made by Nafta Foods) makes gingerbread houses / kits, as well as cookie decorating kits. Check out this link: http://www.naftafoods.com/products/index.htm
Their cookies are readily available at major grocery chains. They are peanut and nut free -- sorry I can't be sure of other allergens.
I just called their Brampton, Ontario manufacturing facility and asked them about the gingerbread houses and was told very clearly that their plant is peanut and nut free and they make the gingerbread and royal icing that goes into the kits. He said he will only speak confidently about his own facility being peanut and nut free.
Sobeys flyer this week is advertising their gingerbread house kit for $8.69.
Edited to add: I actually saw the "Orbit" gingerbread houses at Loblaws tonight and I read the packaging for myself -- there is a warning for "peanuts and tree nuts". :roll:
So the candy isn't safe for the peanut/nut allergic. It also had warnings for soy, wheat, milk, and eggs. This house comes already assembled with icing holding it all together -- you buy it just to decorate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:20 am 

oops

Last edited by bev on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:21 am 

I just bought a peanut free ginger bread house at the bulk store in Halifax, Bayers Lake location. It contains the house only, you buy the candy, etc separate. (the house is not built, you assemble it). It is not in the bins where you would have to be concerned with cross contamination. It is wrapped in plastic and clearly states peanut free. My son was too happy when I told him that I finally found one that is peanut free and milk free. He is 10 and he has never put one together, this will be his first.

Post subject: Gingerbread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:13 am 

We are looking to make our own gingerbread cookies this year, I have a recipe, but my problem is finding a molasses that I can use. My daughter is allergic to peanuts. We called Crosby's, which also makes Grandma's Molasses, to ask if the molasses was safe for someone with a peanut allergy, and the answer we received was that although there were no peanuts or other nuts in the plant, they don't prevent their employees from eating peanuts, peanut butter, etc., so they can't guarantee that the molasses is peanut free, because an employee could have peanut residue on their sleeve, etc.

Putting aside the fact that this is a ridiculous response and also that it is disgusting that they apparently don't enforce handwashing, can anyone recommand a brand of molasses that they use and that they trust?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Was out shopping this afternoon and the Create-A-Treat Gingerbread kits are on sale again. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next