You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:27 am 

Well, the decision took itself for us... Our current sitter doesn't feel comfortable enough to provide a safe environment for my baby, so she preferred we'd go somewhere else...

We did find a new daycare, which is so much better setup for kids with allergies. I spoke to the director and head educator for the babies, and they both seem more than willing to make the few changes to accomodate Anne, and make sure she's safe! They already have a super strict cleaning and hand washing policies, and the eating area is big, so highchairs are very far apart, and far from the big kids, and they reprimand food sharing seriously! :D They even asked me to come in and "train" the staff about the Epipen, cross-contamination and other precautions to be taken!

We are sooooo relieved! Hopefully Anne will be safe and happy there!

My little baby Anne (11 months) had a bad allergic reaction at daycare last week (bad hives on her face and arms, not respiratory), we don't know what from, neither does the sitter, but it was during snack time, so I figure it's food related... Today was her first day back. For the first time, she cried like crazy when I left her, she didn't smile to the sitter, and she couldn't be distracted by toys or other kids... Ahhh, the guilt is eating me inside!! I'm pretty sure it was an accident, but I kinda lost confidence in the sitter. Especially since she didn't seem that preoccupied when I tried to talk to her about it. She was like nodding, but not really listening, while I was repeating instructions about food cross-contamination, when to use the Epipen and such... Made me feel like an over-protective mom, but Anne could be in serious danger if she gets in contact with the wrong foods!!!! I want to be able to feel at ease if I leave her somewhere, and I don't anymore!!!

I don't want to isolate Anne in a bubble (and I have to work to make ends meet), but I don't know what to do about daycare! It took me soooo long to find this one, and I started work 3 weeks ago, and she loves to be around kids, so I would prefer not to have her alone at home with a nanny (well, for money and security reasons too). My husband and I are looking at our (very few) options, but I don't really know where to start.

This is pretty much a lost of trust issue with the sitter, and I don't know if I'm overreacting, but this is the safety of my baby girl we're dealing with! I'd like opinions about this of other moms dealing with leaving their allergic kids to the care of someone else.

Sorry this is so long... I'm just having trouble dealing with this...
Thanks for "listening"!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Last edited by kdufour on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Kim,

Been there and done that. It is hard to drop off your child when you don't feel they are safe. I had to make a change for this reason when dd was 4 and she really liked the day care provider and the other children (and the bunny).
I knew of a mother who had a family member who had food allergies and she is very good in that regard so I knew that dd is safe.
I'm not thrilled with all the Bratz movies etc. but I guess I need to pick my battles.
Here's hoping that you can find a suitable replacement.
Why don't you contact Andrea MASG and see if she knows of someone?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:45 pm 

I think that youhave to trust them totally - my vote is to find somewhere else. My child has been in daycare since 12 months. It is located at her now public school. It is a licensed daycare facility and there are anaphylaxis policies in place. I am very active on the board. I absolutely trust them to ensure what she eats is safe and, in case of reaction, they know precisely what to do.
Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:50 am 

Tough morning - don't know whether to cry or scream. I just don't understand how a daycare can call itself peanut free if they allow food to come in and be EATEN!!!! if they are not 100% sure it is indeed peanut free. grrrrr.... yes, they confiscated the food and wash the childrens hands and table - BUT only after I requested. I don't think I should have to question the staff or make these requests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

I find myself repeating this often lately but...if a policy isn't enforced, it isn't a policy. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:36 pm 

yay :D - great news. our child's day care has taken action - no more outside food allowed. Parents and children are no longer allowed to bring food from home into the daycare. This is a big step in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

I am so happy that they have decided to stick to their policy. You may have to keep after them for a while. It really is a learning curve but...sheesh!