You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Baking at Daycare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 am 

All the staff at my daughter's daycare are very well aware of her allergies, but they are very motivated and still want to do all this "educational" stuff for the children including baking!!! :shock: I don't know who in their right mind would want to bake with 1-4 year olds, but hey, I'm not going to be the one to clean up! ;)

Anyways, the educator in charge of my daughter's group asked me if I had any cookbooks or recipes that she could use, and then she decided she wanted to bake banana bread from a cookbook I lent her. She was very nice asking a lot of questions about the ingredients and brands that would be safe for Anne, but in the end, I told her I would bring everything, including bakeware (except the bananas) just to make sure if my girl takes part in the activity she is totally safe! I was really happy though she asked me about it, and she wanted to include my daughter in the "food" activity, and it was a great opportunity for me to discuss baking for an allergic child, looking at recipes, finding appropriate safe ingredients and all that... More education to the "general public"!!! Yay!!! :)I just hope they don't do the baking activity too often, because I was grinding oat flour late last night!!! :roll:

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:00 pm 

I just wanted to let you know that I brought all the supplies for my daughters old preschool for a baking activity. Everything seemed safe until I saw the other kids "helping". This included the mixing spoons in the mouth and fingers in the mouth and then in the bowl. Even after all the prep on my part I was still not willing to let her eat it after seeing that.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

I too was thinking of all of the tasting prior to cooking :P !
I would suggest that each child be allowed to add an ingredient to the bowl and that the adult mix, pour and place into the oven.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:29 pm 

:roll: Should've thought of the dirty hands!
I'm going to ask her educator how she plans to have the kids participate, and maybe suggest one kid per ingredients thing, that's a good idea! I'll tell her, if she's not sure that other kids didn't contaminate the bowl, just not give it to my little girl in the end. At that age, she's too young to care, so let's enjoy that while it lasts! ;)

Thanks for the tips ladies!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:16 pm 

That's how I have baked with kids in the past.

I would also make sure no ingredients come from bulk where cross-contamination could occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

The teacher could also make cookie dugh and give a portion to each child to mold into their own creation. She could then bake them. If the children wash their hands just before handling the dough it should be safe. You could also ask that hers be baked on a separate sheet or that her be separated by placing hers on a piece of tinfoil and placing that on the cookie sheet.
Or
The teacher could make gingerbread cookies in advance and just let the children decorate the cookies with icing and candies. The children could choose their candies and place them into a small container,first. They could be given a small container of icing. They could then decorate at their desks and your daughter would be safe.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb