You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:28 am 

Ok here goes... :?

I have had a really hard time this last week. We are out of money and DH just got paid so we are living off staples. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but... I have a ton of food allergies. Here is my list. rice,carrots,walnuts,seafood,peaches,oranges (citrus fruit), tomatoes uncooked, banana,& pork. Because of these I have to avoid.. Veg oil, citric acid,beta caratine,(sp), sorbic acid, modified food starch,& food starch. These are just what I can remember off the top of my head. I have been eating eggs for two days straight with homemade bread. I can't afford bread that I can eat for the whole family so I just make it. Today I grabed some pretzels from an open bag on the counter and ate some. Well one of my lovely kiddos got grape drink on a pretzel and I ended up eating it. I had a rash all over my face and hands with itching on my back for over an hour. :roll: I am so depressed and fed up with eating I don't want to eat anymore. I literally have to force my self to eat. I will forget to eat and suddenly remember I haven't eaten at 4pm all day. By then my chest hurts and I start to feel weak. That is how I remember I haven't eaten. Will get hungry and go into the kitchen and start fixing somthing to eat and suddenly throw up or get so nauseated by the thought of eating that I gag six or seven times. So I just go sit back down with a cup of tea. I am down to maybe two maybe two opened faced sandwiches a day (last two days egg ones). I don't know what to do. I ate a plate of food on thanksgiving but it didn't go down well. I know for a fact I am not pregnant. So where do I go from here? When the thought of eating makes you ill?

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, that is tough.

I know that anxiety can come in many forms. I also know that in order to stay healthy, you need to listen to your body and be kind to yourself.

I would suggest that you make a concious effort to put something into your body every few hours whether it's water, tea or whatever.

Try to make a list of what you can eat and plan your meals a day at a time so that you are not over whelmed with hunger when you are trying to make something.

When you start working from a plan, you'll begin to think about what you can have and not what you can't have.

I'm not going to suggest that all of this is easy but it has to be done. You need to model the attitude that you want your children to acquire.

I hope that it will begin to get easier.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 pm 

If you're having lots of reactions, it is understandable that you might have an aversion to food in general.

Are there some foods you are certain you don't react to? I'd suggest cooking simple, homemade food for now that won't cause a problem until you feel more comfortable with eating. Then maybe you can slowly add foods in one by one. You might want to talk to your doctor about this--it might be good to have some professional guidance.

I hope things get better soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:49 pm 

I really empathize, Karen. I found adjusting to my corn allergy really hard, and I would have psychological responses (itchy skin, increased heart rate etc.) from just seeing piotures.

I agree with Helen that it might help you to focus on what you CAN eat. Make a list of ingredients and simple recipes you can make with them. Then focus your meal planning on those. For example, I have a mix-and-match soup recipe that I can make in a number of different ways. It is basically a 'one item from each column' type of thing.

If you post a list of ingredients you know you can have, maybe some of us can help you come up with some recipe suggestions?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)