You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Playdates
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:25 pm 

My son is 4 years old and is now getting to a point of having new friends from preschool and consequently wants to have playdates with his new friends. fortunately in the past, we have always had the friends here and i have not had to worry too much about things (I make other children wash their hands when they come on the door to our home - is that crazy by the way?) . So anyhow, here we are with a new "mommy he is my best friend and i want to play with him evey day!" and we have had him over here and now his friend would like to have my son come over to his house.
How do you get to the point of being okay to let your little one go and play at a house that you know has his allergens? i don't want to be overprotective (but I am) . do i just stick with the, let's have the friends here routine? or do the other children start to get disappointed because their friend will not come to their house?
i guess i am asking for others to share stories with 1. how to overcome the overprotectedness and 2. what has been positive or negative responses you have had in these playdate situations?
thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Most of her friends are the children of my friends so I might visit with a friend and the children would have a playdate or they can drop thier child off at my home.
I have only left our daughter at one friends home and it was years after the diagnosis and both parents are very well aware. Still I went over everything from safe snacks and drinks to how to use the Epi-Pen and what my phone number was.
I have only left her there 3 times.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:30 pm 

I am in the same boat and it is very awkward. We tend to only visit friends I know welI know and have kids over here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:16 pm 

He only goes if I"m there. He can go without me if *I* feel it is safe wihtout me. That hasn't happened yet. I do have one friend who I know would keep him safe. She has a child with FAs, too. I would be able to watch her son for her, too. But so far we haven't done that. I like chatting with her so playdates include the two of us adults, too. :)

I don't feel the least bit funny about this any longer. I used to feel it was awkward but now I just tell the truth. DS can't go alone because of his FAs. (shrug) People take it at face value. The longer I have dealt with this the more and more comfortable I feel. Even interrupting a kids party to ask the children to wipe hands would just feel fine to me now. Used to make me nearly faint. lol