Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

I can understand how difficult it can be to be vocal about other peoples foods in their own homes. I found myself almost apologising for dd's allergies at first. :oops:
Now our friends understand that it is a very really and potentially deadly condition that might be out grown (a hope) through total abstinence. Out of caring for a child who they know very well and through being thankfull that they are not in our shoes and through a feeling of responsibility (who would want to be the one to cause a reaction?); they are very happy to comply with our requests. I have found most people grateful when I offer to bring the dessert and a meal for dd.
I think that you should be able to explain to others that your house must be a safe zone for your child and that they should be able to respect that or not come in. Perhaps their snacks could be eaten outside just as you would ask smokers to do that outside as it is proven that second hand smoke is harmful.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:24 pm 

justonemom---others should definitely respect your need to keep your house allergen-free!

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:58 am 

You shouln't. It's your life, your safety. If people can't understand that, try to explain it to them. If they are still dense about it, there is nothing you can do. But compromising your safety because they won't grasp your reality is not an option IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:57 pm 

You have to establish the boundaries and be consistent with them. I don't allow any fish in my house or car, even in the trunk or even canned! That decision is final.

But because I am not anaphylactic to milk, I have a few guest-foods in the house. When the guest-food is out, no one touches Mylène-food and anything that is out when the guest food comes out doesn't go back to my pantry because of the risk of cross-contamination. Some people wonder why I have no remorse on throwing away a half bag of chip just because there was cheese next to it... but I do offer them to take it home with them if they care that much. I am not going to eat from that bag of chip no matter what. The guest-food that is allowed in my house is the guest-food I choose to bring in, the ones that don't produce crumbs, or are not too sticky, etc. That way, I control the food and still allow some people to have the food they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, don't be too hard on yourself about getting upset and nt sounding calm. People who don't get it about allergies really don't mean to put you in a situation were you could die, but they are. They may mean well but...what good is that if you're dead?
I don't always sound calm when I am explaining to someone that my daughter could die is she ate a certain food. I just comment on that fact that I know that I sound upset but that is due to the seriousness of the situation.
Don't think that you have to turn every situation into a learning opportunity either. Some people just won't listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 pm 

Thanks for the support guys :)