Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bone marrow donor needed
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin

This news story is a plea to those of Asian an/or Filipino descent but it reminds us that the Canadian Blood Services does more than just give blood.

Quote:
Like any nine-year-old, Lourdess Sumners loves to play, read and draw.

But those cherished activities are a memory for now as she battles for her life against a rare form of cancer.

Her best chance is a bone-marrow transplant, but the donor must be found in the next four months if Lourdess is to live.
But less than three per cent of registered bone-marrow donors are of South-Asian descent. Canadian Blood Services launched a pilot project in B.C. that allows people to use cheek-swab kits to register as a bone-marrow donor. (Go to www.onematch.ca).

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... cb5b6df225

Who is eligible to join OneMatch?

You may be eligible to join if you are between 17 and 50 years old and meet certain health criteria. Health problems that could make you ineligible include some heart conditions, cancer, blood diseases, insulin-dependent diabetes and infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C.

There are also height and weight restrictions in place to protect both donors and recipients. People who do not meet the program's height/weight criteria may be at a higher risk when undergoing general anaesthesia. For safety reasons, eligibility criteria are followed carefully.

Click here for OneMatch height/weight chart.

What about transmissible diseases?

You should not apply to join OneMatch if you have a disease that can be transmitted by blood such as HIV/AIDS or hepatitis. If you have any questions about whether you might have a transmissible disease, we urge you to go to a public health clinic or to your physician for testing. Canadian Blood Services does not test for transmissible diseases in the first stages of matching. This testing only takes place if and when you are in the final matching stages.

http://www.blood.ca/CentreApps/Internet ... p=OMSplash

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 am 

I have been on the bone marrow registry for more than 15 years. Interestingly enough, I did get a call once to tell me that I was a match for someone and to request my bone marrow. Unfortunately, I was 5 months pregnant and they don't accept that. Haven't been called since. I sometimes think of that person and hope that everything turned out OK.

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:53 pm 

Thank you so much for posting this. Lourdess's little sister is my daughter's friend. Lourdess goes to my children's school so this has hit very close to home. I personally know this family and they are such nice people. She was originally diagnosed with Leukemia in April 2006 and went through 5 rounds of chemo, she went into remission and finally got to go home and be a normal kid. All was well until this Fall when some routine bloodwork was done and the devastating results were found... the Leukemia was back! Her family had to take out a second mortgage on their house so they could all be together in Vancouver while Lourdess is in B.C.'s Childrens Hospital.
I couldn't even imagine what the Sumner family is going through right now. I have signed up with onematch.ca myself and I have been posting on a couple of parenting forums that I belong to trying to get the word out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:33 pm 

I wanted to add a little update here.
A bone marrow match for Lourdess was never found. They opted instead to do a stem cell transplant. Lourdess went through several days of chemotherapy and radiation before they did the stem cell transplant. She was in isolation for a while and has recently been released to a Ronald McDonald House. She and her family have to make regular trip to the hospital to make sure she's getting well. Lourdess and her family will remain at the Ronald McDonald House until at least June. Hopefully then she will be able to return home to Vancouver Island. We can't wait until they can finally return!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update. I often wondered what became of her.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb