You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:02 pm 

Hi, my son who is now 5, tested positive for nuts at age 2. We went camping this weekend and while we were there he was eating out of a bowl of chips, when I noticed he was doing this I checked the bowl and it was chips with almonds, cashews and other nuts mixed in. I watched him carefully and he never had any sort of reaction. I am wondering if he outgrew the allergy or if the test was wrong in the first place. He never actually ate any nuts but the chips definately had nut residue on them. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:14 pm 

The positive result you are talking about is the result of a test or he actually went into anaphylactic shock before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:19 pm 

Hi, he had allergy testing done. The skin test. He had a reaction to citrus, his tongue and lips swelled up, so that is why I had him tested. The allergist told me that he reacted at a level 4 for peanuts, almonds etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:34 pm 

I don't know how reliable these allergy test are. Because according to them, my gf should be allertic to chicken and soy and she eats both all the time and she nothing, no reaction at all, not even a rash or some stomach ache, nothing.

Of course, when it comes to peanuts, one must always be careful. I hate anaphylectic shock to them as many user on these boards. But I'm still skeptical about the testing.

My take is he might not be allergic but of course, I would not feed nuts to your kid to find out either. Always use caution, but since nothing happened, I would question the validity of the test. Maybe go see another doctor and ask the question. A doctor would probably give you a better answer than me who's just speculating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:02 pm 

Yeah, those allergy tests can be positive when one is not allergic. Even if your son is okay with almonds, peanuts might still be bad news. I still wouldn't want to feed him almonds and cashews again even though it might be fine--like youngvader said, you might want to take your son to an allergist again and explain the situation. Maybe the allergist would retest your son for tree nuts and do an oral challenge. But warning: I've heard that people with peanut allergies should avoid all tree nuts too because of possible cross contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:28 pm 

It did come as quite a shock when the allergist said he was allergic, I had been feeding him granola bars and other foods that may contain nuts and he never reacted, but I just assumed that the doctor would know more than me. It would be such a HUGE relief if he turned out to NOT be allergic after all!!! I think I will probably call the doc tomorrow and rebook Jacob to be tested again! Thanks so much! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:57 am 

You said you use to give him nuts before the test, many times and he never had a reaction? It sounds a lot like the test was a false positive. Double check to make sure but it looks like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:19 am 

No I never actually gave him nuts, but I did let him eat things like granola bars, m@m's, stuff like that, that may contain nuts and he never reacted. I was careful to keep him away from peanut butter and stuff like that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:58 pm 

kerriku -- just wondering how things turned out for your son?