Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:37 pm 

TMcG, I looked through those two links. Here's a quote from the end of one:

You don't have to rely on sophisticated testing to see if your olive oil is the real thing. Here's a tip from food experts you can do at home: just chill your olive oil in the fridge for an hour or two. If it's pure, it should coagulate. That's the monounsaturated fat. If it stays clear it's not the real thing.

I don't think that test would discover every possible contamination - but since the article is specifically about soy oil, I think it would at least give a hint that people with soy allergy should not consume the oil if if does not coagulate.

Both Canada and the US have standards on food that is imported for human consumption. I wonder what the proper way of getting our governments to look into this is. I will try to maneuver my way around the CFIA site (the Canadian equivalent of FDA) and see if I can find out who to notify, of if they have already looked in to some of these companies. If I find out anything, I will of course post it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:41 pm 

Thanks for the info. TMcG and AnnaMarie. I'm going to use the refridgeration test---I would guess that only olive oil would coagulate because olive oil has a very high percentage of monounsaturated fat (75%)--canola has 61%, soy 23%. (source: Wellness Options Magazine, No. 21) I tried putting cold pressed, non processed canola oil in the fridge and it didn't coagulate so I would expect that olive oil would be the only one that would do that. (Don't know for sure--this is just an educated guess.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:17 pm 

Well I receive a response from Lipton / Bertolli...

Labelling is so complex!!! Who knew that if a single ingredient is used in a product, then companies don't need to label based on this.

Whew!
TMcG

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for writing!

The only ingredient in Bertolli Olive Oil is 100% pure olive oil. Since the product consists of a single ingredient specified in the name of the product, labeling regulations do not require an ingredient statement.

We hope this helps!
Bertolli Canada Consumer Services

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:06 am 

I received the same email.

Post subject: bertolli
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:24 pm 

I can't see a link that started all this. Does is bertolli oil not safe re nuts? does it have hazelnut mixed in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:16 pm 

I would guess that bertolli's is safe, but it would seem that the olive oil issue is continuing at least according to this Aug 2007 story on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=12571726

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:27 am 

susangoodman - If you are concerned, I would contact the company and ask them if there are any other oils (such as hazelnut oil) run on the olive oil line.

One scenario: They do run other oils on the same line, but they clean the line and feel that there is no risk of cross-contamination. If that is the case, my understanding is that they are under no obligation to declare the possible risk, since there is no law requiring companies to provide statements about cross-contamination.

Another scenario: there is only olive oil run on the line.

Sometimes you have to ask the right questions. Sometimes you have to get the right person... I have a friend who doesn't even bother with the customer support people. She asks to be put through to the quality control people, who are more familiar with what is going on in the plant.

Of course, now that I have just read the link that Helen posted, all that could be moot if fraud is involved. :shock: But I like to think that a big name like Bertolli would be playing by the rules...

K.