You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:56 pm 

I got a call from my PA child's teacher over the holidays...I had sent on the last day of school a candy cane type ornament I had gotten from Costco (they are no nuts and have a cute jelly thing on it) with a card attached, "Thank you for being a friend and keeping me peanut free, have a merry Christmas". Apparently the non-allergic parents were shocked that I would take the time to acknowledge that they make an effort on behalf of my child. Good feelings all the way around. I have done this now for 3 years, but this was the first time I have gotten postive feedback. To me, it just continues the awareness levels I would like the other parents to have - in case they forget over the holidays as the letter in September doesn't keep the level of awareness I'm comfortable with. At the end of school, I will send each classmate one of the bracelets from the anaphylaxis website also...I do empathize the efforts other parents must make having a PA child in the class, as I have 3 other children that are not allergic, but have had allergic children in the class over various years.
Blessings for the new year!
Buzimom of 4 boys, ages 14, 12, 11 & 7 the only one PA, eggs, shellfish, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Buzimom, I think that's so nice of you – and smart of you. What a positive way to reinforce the need for vigilance.

Nothing succeeds like a 'thank you' here and there.

Happy New Year to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Wow, and we are grateful every day. I think tht's such a nice idea, now I wish I had done the same. I think I'll start with and end of the year gift and I'll do the card next year.
Thanks for sharing.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:43 pm 

Very sweet, good idea.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject: Gifts to parents
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:02 pm 

I once gifted a jar of Trader Joe's Sunflower Butter (a great pb substitute) and a sample of it on a cracker to every parent in my child's's class at the parent night in the beginning of the school year, and that went over big too! I explained that, if they joined me in using that instead of pb for their kids' lunches, it makes the whole campus a safer place and reduces their worries too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:08 am 

To promote the idea of no food treats during birthday celebrations in class, last year my kids and I made up goodie bags with pencils, stickers, shells, etc. to each member of the class. This year my kids chose spiderman, HIlary Duff and Little Pet Shop Pencils to give to each classmate.

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Our daughter class requested a donation of a book in lieu of cupcakes etc. last year and I sent a copy of The Peanut-free Cafe. (a childrens book about a school that attempts to make the allergy-free zone the place to be and along the way one fussy eater realizes there are other foods out there besides peanut butter and green grapes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 pm 

I think these are great ideas and I'll likely do something for Valentine's Day since I missed Christmas. I thought things were good but we had 2 candy canes sent home. And although they were safe (ingredients were sent home - progress right) I still wish it wasn't food.

I was checking out The Oriental Trading Company online. Has anyone heard or ordered from them? Lots of great stuff for things like this and they seem reasonable.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject: Year end thank you
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:44 am 
Site Admin

I thought I'd bump up this thread because we are now entering the 3rd term of school and the end of the year is fast approaching.

Thanking the teachers and school personel for keeping our children safe is a nice, but I think that it is even more important that we send a little note home to the parents of the classmates who went along with the no peanuts/ no birthday cake and what ever other special requests were made for our children.

These are the parents of our childrens peers, the parents future boyfriends/girlfriends. Our children will be invited to their parties, sleepovers and posibly dinner. We trick or treat at their homes and....they are not legislated to comply with our requests but do anyway.

We need them to know that we appreciate it because next year there will be a new teacher, but these people will be in our childrens' lives for many years to come.

Our school is having an event in the beginning of May to thank all of the parent volunteers for their participation at school.

I plan to send a simple note to each parent volunteer as well as the parents in our daughters class, thanking them for their efforts to keep her safe this school year.

I thought I'd mention it incase others felt so inclined as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:43 am 

I'm all ready now to distribute bracelets from the anaphylaxis website...just to thank staff and students (including parents) who take the time and effort to ensure there are no foods that my child is allergic to...diversity seems to be the business buzzword these days - food allergic persons certainly fall into that catagory.
It really DOES get easier over time...
Have a great summer!

Buzimom of 4 boys ages 15, 13, 12 no allergies, youngest age 8 allergic to peanuts, eggs (only raw), shellfish, environmental