You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:23 am 

Hi There,

My husband really wants to take the whole family away on a warm, sunny vaction to either Cuba or Mexico. My 5 1/2 yr old daugther is allergic to Peanuts. We have never travelled with her except we went to Ohio, USA last spring! ( We drove and stayed at my sister-in-laws)

I am very concerned about flying, possibly going and staying in a third world country and eating for my little girl. I have been told by alot of people that I am over reacting that I can just speak to the people at the resort that cook the food. I think about the language barrier and trying to tell them the importance of this food allergy!

Has anyone ever gone on Holiday with a peanut allergic child and had a positive experience?? What resort and where? if any? Was it an All-inclusive?

I know that I will not have a nice holiday if I am worried all the time about food issues, etc.. Also the nearest hospital and do we even want to go there? Lots of concerns and really not feeling like going away to the caribean!

Concerned mother of two girls 5 1/2 - allergic to peanuts, cats, molds, pollens, grasses
4 year old with no known allergies but is always asking " is this peanut-free Mom" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Hi! You are not alone in your concern to protect your child while still giving the entire family the experience of another country, language, culture etc.

Check out some of the posts in the travel section, others have successfully travelled with peanut allergies. Allergic Living featured an article by one of our members in the Winter 07/08 edition which is currently on store shelves.

The link below will take you to an excerpt of the article.
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=142

Travelling with food allergies can be anxiety provoking and it takes homework and planning but even our little trip to Banff, Alberta this past summer was a great experience. I came back calmer and more sure of my abilities to protect our daughter. I met some great people and discovered new foods which she could eat. In the end, we all went through something that we thought might be difficult and we all came away stronger, more confident and ready to face new challenges.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:57 pm 

I travel a lot with my son but personally I stay away from resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk as in the all-inclusives there are a lot of buffets, etc. And I speak Spanish fluently so language is not a deterrent for me. I just think that, based on my personal experience, there are other alternatives, such as Florida, California and even the UK.

If I did want to travel to these countries, I would take Scott's advice (link to the article above) and get a villa with a kitchen and chef.

Yes, I know it's not cheap to travel with an allergic child but for me, it's worth the extra cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:12 am 

I don't know if you had a chance to read my article in this issue of allergic living on travelling with anaphylaxis, but it definitely is possible to have a great vacation. You are absolutely right to be concerned though and are thinking about all the right things.

My first thought would be make sure you rent someplace with a kitchen and cook most of your own food instead of an all-inclusive. My second comment would be to go somewhere that you speak the language so if you don't speak spanish, I would recommend not going to Mexico and Cuba.

Villa's are great and are not that expensive, especially if you can share with another family. But, there are also lots of options with condo's and apartments that are less expensive in the Caribbean. As far as English speaking islands go, Jamaica is one of our favorites. Check out http://www.mysilversands.com/content/home.aspx for a very affordable set of villas and cottages with cook on a beautiful beach. Other English speaking islands to consider include Barbados and St Lucia which usually come with cooks. Grenada, Antigua, Cayman, Bahamas and Turks and Caicos are also English speaking and have direct flights from Canada and usually have self-catering villas and apartments. Check out http://www.spiceislevillas.com/ for some lovely villas in Grenada.

We bring our food for the plane and our specialty foods with us and then shop at the local grocery store for the rest. If we do eat out, we choose small places and speak directly to the cook to explain the allergies and cross-contamination.

Check out the article for more info and let me know if you need any specific recommendations.

Scott