You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:41 am 

My daughter is 15 months old. She has started playing make believe and pretending to "bake" and "eat" imaginary things and toys. She also gives us some so we can eat and go "miummm...", which makes her so happy! She loves this new game!

This said, I don't want to discourage her from using her imagination or refusing the "food gift" she offers, but I don't know how to go about this and still teach her good habits about NO food sharing... well, as much as a 15 month old can understand.

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Admin

I think at this age she's pretending to be a "mommy". Why don't you ask her what's in the food and if she's read the ingredients?
My daughter got mad at me around this age when I offered her a piece of my banana (hadn't peeled it yet). "We don't share our food, Mommy!" I explained about cross contamination and that yes, we might eat the same foods but we divide it up onto our own plates first.
Little ones understand more than we give them credit for. Pretend playing with her will allow you both to explore her concerns and teach her the words she needs to have later when real life situations come up.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:19 pm 

I agree with Susan 100%
We also did the rollplaying with food. For awhile we actually called her donut a bagel since I make safe bagels, but that was really the only difference for us. Now she calls it a donut.
I started with simple things like if she'd ask me if I wanted a bagel I'd say "oh, I have to ask my Mommy first" Or "Does it have peanuts" As she got older of course it would change depending on how the play went. She also went through a period that I was horrid with about pretending everything did have peanuts, sesame, egg (and soy at the time). But at 4 she gets it. She doesn't share food. When we go to her grandparent's house she asks them to read the labels (even when I 'm there) and I've put her in (safe) situations where she was able to be tested. Like a birthday party and the Dad asked if she could have cake. I asked him to ask her, he asked me afterwards if it was a test. LOL Anyways, she said no because she had her own treat from home.

All this to say, rollplaying with pretend food can play a very important role to give them the tools they need later in life

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:17 am 

See also the discussion at

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2533

I think the general consensus was that kids can tell the difference between plastic food and real food, and that there are good "teachable moments" to be had with the fake food. :)

K.