You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:24 am 

Hello to you,

I am asking for your help for suggestions for allergy awareness in my peanut allergic daughters school. This is her first year ( SK) and they have begun to take baby steps on the whole allergy isssues.
This is the first year that lamenated signs have been posted at all entrances to the school.

What I would like to do is try to work with other parents ( have allergic kid(s) ) on helping to educate the whole school. I realize this is a hugh undertaking but I really feel the need.
My daughter is going to spend the next 8 years at this school and I want her to be safe as well as the other allergic children.

I have documented some issues that I have noticed that need to be addressed to the Principal so I plan to schedule a meeting with him very soon!

I am on school council and I have put in for time in our next meeting in February to discuss Allergy awareness.

I feel that there is so much information that it can be abit overwelming for people. My husband thinks that it would be best if I could provide a monthly newsletter to add with the regular one, include information on allergies, receipes, etc...... This may be a hugh undertaking on my part??

I really feel strongly about doing this but am not sure all the steps and if anyone can offer some advice or comments perhaps someone is in a similar situation. that would be great!

Thanks for your help!

NOTE: There are other allergies of Egg and Shellfish present at the school as well.

Peanut Kid MOM :)

Daughter 5 1/2 is allergic to Peanuts, cats, dust, ragweed, grasses, molds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:31 am 

I think what you're doing is great. Baby steps is what it takes.

My dd is in JK and I'm following similar steps. I figure I have 2 yrs until she's fully integrated into the school. In JK & SK she'll only go half days. I also met with the principal and instead of "attacking" the school directly I had questions regarding the boards policy and how the school dealt with such issues. The meeting went really well and I think she was happy as well. I also learned that although there are parent's like us who advocate and take this very seriously, there are parent's that they have to follow up with a million times just to get an epipen sent in.

I've also volunteered in my dds class and am in constant communication with the teacher. I try to make myself present at the school whenever possible by doing photocopies for the council or teachers. It's given me a few opportunities to meet other allergic parents and be there for an quick discussion about various things. One key thing that i've been focussing on is to not spend all my time discussing allergies, etc. I don't want people to run when they see me! LOL But I bring it up when I think it's appropriate.

I don't have any more advice for you but continue to be active in the school as much as possible. Instead of doing your own newsletter which is a huge task, perhaps you could ask to include a paragraph or 2 on each council newsletter? This way you'll be sending out bits of useful information but not overloading parent's that can think it doesn't apply to them since they don't have an FA kid?

Good luck

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:48 pm 

I think that is great that you are so enthusiastic to make some changes in your school, but you do have to remember to go slow and easy. You don't want to overwhelm all involved, including the other parents of children with allergies. I too am on the parent council, and am also the only parent in a school that has 12 children with LTA, who is on it. Not every parent may be as keen to get involved as you (like me!)
Regarding the newsletter, I would have to agree that I would try to include a small blurb to the current one for starters (is this just your idea, or has it been okayed by administration, as that may be an issue too).
When meeting with council, make sure you have some clear points about what you are looking to achieve, ensuring they are reasonable and practical expectations and what you think council can do to help.
Some other suggestions are to try and get a speaker in from Anaphylaxis Canada www.anaphylaxis.org to do a presentation to the parent council and/or staff for information on the topic. Also, Kyle Dine www.kyledine.com does a wonderful musical educational presentation for students from K-8. Don't forget that there are several videos and books that could be shared with your child's classroom, even if you could spare some time to volunteer to read them and talk about allergies with the classmates.

Best of luck,
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:10 am 

newpeanutkid, I wonder if it would be helpful to educate older students in the school and have them help with educating the rest of the school. It would show/be great leadership skill and if you're in BC that could be part of the Career and Health learning outcomes. :wink:

I've posted a similar question in another thread so not to derail your question. My daughter and her friend are trying to figure out how to educate their classmates in the most effective way possible as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:41 pm 

Thanks for all your great comments and ideas.

I live in Ontario but I think the idea about helping to educate the older kids is great as they do have some responsiblity with the younger ones.
Being on council I do get asked for input for our newsletter to the parents. Last month I did include a small comment Thanking the parents and caregivers for their efforts in making safe lunches for the allergic children ( that is not the correct wording used )
I included a great receipe I have for a snack bar that is peanut/nut free and also egg free! I was Happy!

I will meet with the Principal before the council meets on Feb 26th to discuss some ideas for other steps to help make the school safer. I know Baby steps , it is just hard when you feel that is not rocket science to do more things to make our kids SAFE!

I have contacted someone that could do a free talk on allergies and tie in nutrition as well. I will run this by the principal 1st.

I plan to give out some info to council to read and ask for their ideas or thoughts as well. I believe that I am the only one on council that has an allergic child at the school.

I do volunteer at the school for things and in contact with my childs teacher and she asked parents not to send in valentine candy / food because of the peanut/nut allergy in class. I wonder if the parents read that note and whether they do that or choose to ignore it?? I know I am sending in some stickers, pencils and erasers for her classmates. Kids get enough sugary stuff they will not miss it. I also plan to include a thank-you note " Thanking them for being a friend and helping keeping me peanut/nut free. Happy Valentines Day! " :)

Lori :)

New Peanutkid Mom :)