You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:48 pm 

Lee -- I've wondered about shea nut as well. Interestingly enough, Dr. Watson addressed this very question in the "Ask The Allergists" column in this fall's edition of Allergic Living (page 23). Do you have a copy to refer to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:13 pm 

Hi Ethansmom,

Yes, I do have that issue -- thanks for the reminder! His advice makes it sound like shea butter is a bit of an unknown, but like there's enough there to cause concern. Do you try to avoid the stuff?

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:07 pm 

That was my plan. Until I realized a shampoo I had been using on my son (without any problems) had shea butter in it as an ingredient. (Bad Mommy! :oops: )
So I've since used an Aveeno Cream with shea butter on his skin regularly without any problems -- so Ethan's fine with shea butter but he doesn't have a confirmed allergy to any tree nuts at this time. His allergist will be doing further testing before he starts school (as well -- before he had his reaction to peanut, he had already had almonds and walnuts without incident). Because your daughter has allergies to tree nuts, why not go ahead and ask them to switch soaps - it's not a big deal for them and because there is some uncertainty about it, it'll give you peace of mind until you make your mind up about it - ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:23 pm 

Sounds like good idea (asking them to switch). The kindergarten teachers have been incredibly accommodating so far, and nobody has made me feel like I'm asking for the moon, so I think it will be okay, as long as I provide an alternative. I have been delaying the inevitable because I have trouble asking for special treatment, but I have to keep remembering: it's not for me, it's for my dd.

Thanks,
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:27 pm 

Sorry for the off topic nature of this post. We were already off topic...but lparpart, youo mentioned your daughter being allergic to a vaccine. Thats's the one they get at 2,4,6,12,18 months and 4years, right? My daughter has had an allergic reaction to that one too, on her 5th dose. She is "due" to have it next March and I am in disagreement with my allergist and public health on the matter. Basically they want her to have it in the ER and I want to skip it all together. Just curious how old your daughter is, and if she has had the full round of them.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:09 pm 

Hi Saskmommy,

Wow, this is so useful. You are the first person I've come across whose allergic child also had a reaction to Pentacel. My daughter had the first three without incident and then had a pretty severe reaction on her 4th dose. I was just lucky that we hadn't strayed too far from the doctor's office when it happened. We went right back in and watched her for the next hour, giving her Benadryl and Ventolin but stopping short of using the Epipen. That was with our family doctor. When I described the reaction later to our pediatric allergic (Peter Vadas), he said it was obviously anaphylactic (she had hives, breathing trouble and a strong 'sense of doom') and chewed me out a bit for not using the Epi.

Since then, both the family doctor and Dr. Vadas have said my daughter should *never* be given Pentacel again. If I were you I would *strongly* urge your doctor to think again about doing even a controlled vaccination in the ER. Dr. Vadas signed a form exempting my daughter from all vaccinations based on her reaction to the Pentacel, but we're still going to investigate it further and I hope to be able to safely vaccinate her for other diseases. For right now we're in a holding pattern.

Did you happen to report your child's reaction to a public health nurse? I insisted on reporting my daughter's reaction because I wanted the statistics on the drug to take it into account. When I did this I was told that underreporting of adverse reactions to vaccines is a serious problem for statistical analyses of these drugs. I can't remember the name of the agency I reported this to, but our local public health office gave me a form and I turned in multiple copies to them, our family MD, our allergist and another agency involved in record-keeping. You could try to google them with the keywords adverse vaccine reactions.

Oops, gotta run. Please let me know what happens -- I'll be very curious to hear how things turn out.

Best,
Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:44 pm 

When she reacted at the public health office...she had a large hive on her arm and her arm swelled. I gave her benadryll right away and the public health nurse phoned the "on call" doctor, but was unable to reach anyone. So...I decided to take her to the hospital...and the public health nurse came with me. We were there a while...but I felt the doctors there really had no idea what to do. So...I decided to continue with benadryll for the next 2 days and reactine for a few days after that. The doctors really had no idea how long it would take the vaccine to be broken down by the body...so thats what I came up with. The public health nurse had talked to my allergist (looking back, I would talk myself) and he thought it was an acceptable plan. I really did not want the benadryll to wear off and have her experience a reaction again during the night.

I have pretty much decided not to go ahead with the next one. The public health nurse chewed me out over "my daughter not having her full protection against the illnesses", and seemed to not really consider the previous allergic reaction and that the next one would probably be worse. They were like "if she has a reaction in the er...she can be treated with epinephrine or what ever...she'll be fine and when it's all said and done she'll be protected from the illnesses." Yikes...scary plan :shock: .

Our records have been reported as well. When I looked at the penta ingredients there was something called "bovine syrum" (or something like that) which got me thinking it was linked to milk allergy and the fact that ingredient was obviously from a cow. My friends little guy with milk allergy is fine, but in our case my daughter is allergic to eggs...and chicken, and milk (and was tested negative for beef, but gets red patches on her face if she eats it...which she doesn't).

The whole situation with public health wanting her to have it is frustrating. They do not understand allergies to begin with. Then...as a homeschooler I had to submit my kids immunization records to my school district...so I just know they will be breathing down my neck to keep her immunizations up :roll: . But, oh well...it's my decision not theirs.

Oh, and how old is your daughter?

Karen, how do you move a discussion? It would be handy to start an "allergic to immunizations" thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:53 pm 

I would have to move the entire topic... I can't move individual posts.

What I've done is create a new topic called "Allergic to immunizations" at http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 0253#10253 (in Other allergies) for you. You can continue the conversation there if that's okay.

Hope that works!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:00 pm 

-stephanie- wrote:
Karen,
You had mentioned that you might look into the Fleichmans letter to the editor in the last issue. Have you found anything out?
Stephanie

I got a reply from Unilever about Fleischmann's margarine and the risk of dairy in it.

The news is good. See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1620 for the details.

K.

Post subject: Discontinued Products!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:04 pm 

:( :oops: I'm sad to say that over the weekend I went to purchase my usual Canola Harvest Dairy Free margarine, and now my local Safeway no longer carries it. I contacted the head office, and apparently the Canola Harvest Dairy Free margarine is no longer being manufactured!! I used to buy the Fleishmann's salt-free twin pack margarine too....and now they've informed me that it has been discontinued as well!

I cannot understand this....in this day and age, as there is an increasing number in those with milk allergy, why it's so difficult to have one or two products out there, readily accessible, for those that need it! I know there are at least half a dozen of us who are now on the search yet again for a product we can safely use. It's so FRUSTRATING!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:05 pm 

I use Earth Balance. It is however, not a really common find. No big grocery stores carry it that I know of (in SK). Dad's Organics and Steep Hill food co-op in Saskatoon carry it. As well, Sunlite Health foods in Prince Albert. If you're located in any other cities...I would check out the health food stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:34 am 

Thanks for the information! It is good to have resources like this.

I just don't understand why the big commerial chains don't cooperate and carry some of these products...and market them as such! Look at the success there's been with the peanut free chocolate bars, granola bars, etc. With the right marketing, a large grocery store could market several key products for those families dealing with shopping around the top 10 allergens....I know it would certainly drive people (several that I know!) to do ALL their grocery shopping with that chain. It would be lovely not to have to run to 5 different stores!!! :wink:

So, if anyone from a major chain is reading this - consider making YOUR store a one-stop shopping experience for EVERYONE! My family spends a fortune on groceries everyone month - I would happily be faithful to one store! Maybe there needs to be a section set up with a host of products for those affected by the most common allergens....or at least some marketing indicating that you have these products available! I will be glad to help spread the word!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Most stores have product request cards or you can speak directly to the department manager (this might get better results).
If they don't know, they won't carry it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:22 am 

I agree with Susan. Sometimes even one request will get results.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:06 pm 

I agree with your advice....I've done that in many instances. However, in the case of these margarine products...the problem remains that they are no longer being manufactured. The manufacturers will tell you that the grocery chains have not had the demand for these products; therefore, they've discontinued making them.

That's why I wished the grocery stores would be a bit more proactive when bringing in something exclusive like this, or a specialty product....if more people knew that these products were available, and exactly where to get them, there would be more of a demand! I know I've told many people about things I've found, and often times word of mouth is the only way to discover them. Much effort is made to warn people about products that may contain allergens (which is a good thing!), but not much effort is put into advocating for those products that are safer choices for the masses! (I really do applaud the companies that have taken this extra step with the chocolate bars, granola bars, etc.)

I've run into this same problem with many different items. It seems as though many of us are spending our time search things out, and many of us are looking for the same things...in most cases we just don't know where to start. I would certainly value a company that would go the extra mile and advertise products, in the same fashion that many promote products suitable for diabetics, people with cholesterol issues, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next