You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 pm 

Suggested by allergist to use Hill Moisture Riser (refined peanut oil) as my son's body moisturizer. The bottle says safe for peanut sensitive patients. Each time I have used it as his all over body moistuizer he wakes up with swollen eyes and even a red spot on his face that stayed for several hours. Curious if anyone has had any experience with a reaction to refined peanut oil.?

son is allergic to peanuts, soy, shellfish, wheat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:48 am 
Site Admin

A quick search using Google turned this up:
http://www.bmj.com/archive/7087a.htm
BMJ No 7087 Volume 314
Abstracts Saturday 12 April 1997

Randomised, double blind, crossover challenge study of allergenicity of peanut oils in subjects allergic to peanuts
Jonathan O'B Hourihane, Simon J Bedwani, Taraneh P Dean, John O Warner
Abstract

Objective: To determine the in vivo allergenicity of two grades of peanut oil for a large group of subjects with proved allergy to peanuts.
Design: Double blind, crossover food challenge with crude peanut oil and refined peanut oil.

Setting: Dedicated clinical investigation unit in a university hospital.

Subjects: 60 subjects allergic to peanuts; allergy was confirmed by challenge tests.

Outcome measures: Allergic reaction to the tested peanut oils

Results: None of the 60 subjects reacted to the refined oil; six (10%) reacted to the crude oil. Supervised peanut challenge caused considerably less severe reactions than subjects had reported previously.

Conclusions: Crude peanut oil caused allergic reactions in 10% of allergic subjects studied and should continue to be avoided. Refined peanut oil did not pose a risk to any of the subjects. It would be reasonable to recommend a change in labelling to distinguish refined from crude peanut oil.

University Department of Child Health,
Mailpoint 803,
Southampton General Hospital,
Southampton SO16 6YD
Jonathan O'B Hourihane, clinical research fellow
Simon J Bedwani, medical student
Taraneh P Dean, senior research fellow
John O Warner, professor

Correspondence to: Dr Hourihane.

Full text on BioMedNet

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 pm 

Thanks for responding. I've read that info before but I'm almost certain it is the peanut oil he reacted to. So I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similiar. I've read a study saying those allergic to soy don't react to soy oil and lecithin but my son has allergic reactions to those too. Maybe his allergies to peanut and soy are just that severe. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 pm 

Yes, I have reacted to peanut oil before in potato chips (purchased in the States). I'm not positive whether it was "refined" or not . . . but I would guess it was refined because they were not gourmet chips. Kind of hard to know . .I was a kid!

About soy----some people need to avoid refined oil and lecithin as well. I asked my allergist what I should do . . .his answer was unambiguous--he said to avoid all forms of soy. (Once upon a time, I did eat things with lecithin and soy oil . . .they would bother me a little sometimes and not other times. Some people, however, are more sensitive.) I did run into problems with finding a multivitamin free of all my allergens, (and my dietician thought a multi is a good idea in my case because of my limited diet) and so my allergist suggested that I bring the multivitamin in to his office to try it under observation in case of a reaction. So what I'm saying is--not everyone needs to avoid refined soy, but some people might. Allergies are highly individual--people have different tolerance levels. (BTW, I have read in a medical journal that some people do need to avoid soy oil and lecithin.)

I'd seriously avoid that cream as well. I have read conflicting info. on the question of whether people react to refined peanut oil. There is also the question of whether creams containing refined oil could sensitize people to allergens.

I know that one of my siblings majorly reacted to some sort of eczema cream as an infant (a long time ago!). . . I don't know if the cream had peanut oil or not, but it is possible as I think it is a common ingredient in eczema cream. The doctor couldn't believe that my sister would react and wanted to put her in the hospital so that the nurses could "apply the cream properly" because her skin was so bad. (My mom refused.)

There is this fabulous website with a summary of medical studies created by Dr. Weisnagel. There is some interesting reading on peanut oil and on topical creams with peanut oil.

http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm

You know, the question about the peanut oil might be a good one for the "ask the allergists" column in AL magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:53 am 

Helen, thank you for the website and personal experience. All along I felt like I was taking a chance by using the refined peanut oil moisturizer, but since my son's allergist said he wouldn't react to it...... I realize there are different tolerance levels to allergens but I don't want to take any unneccesary chances and make his allergies more severe. I should have researched a little more before I used the oil. My son is 20 months old so i'm trying to make a list of safe products and foods for him. The refined peanut oil will not be on that list. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Lydia, that gut feeling that you get that tells you something is wrong or there is a risk but you can't quite put your finger on it....listen to that feeling.
Dr's can be wrong, their information can be out dated or perhaps there is a symptom that they haven't thought of. Your gut instincts are usually right. They point to a concern that hasn't been addressed.
If you suspect your child is not tolerating a moisturizer because of an allergy to an ingredient, look for another moisturizer.
You live with your child a lot more than the Dr and you will know best in most situations.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 pm 

I don't think you are to blame at all about the oil---you were just following what your doctor recommended, and the view that refined oil is fine is a common one (but by no means universal.) Allergies are tricky--it takes awhile to adjust and figure out what you need to avoid especially when there is conflicting info.

I hate it when doctors simply discount the patient's experience! Thank goodness the doctors I'm seeing now aren't like that.

Good luck with managing the peanut allergy--I'm sure you'll do great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 am 

I agree with Susan. Go with your gut instinct. I would avoid the moisturizer myself, especially since I'm sure there are lots of other options!

I really don't see why anyone would put peanut oil in a moisturizer these days given all the peanut allergies out there and people at risk of becoming sensitized. It just doesn't make sense to me.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:01 pm 

P.S. Do you live in Canada? If yes, would suggest Glaxal Base as a great moisturizer. You can find it on the shelves in most pharmacies.

http://www.wellskin.ca/index2.htm

The website wasn't working well for me (I couldn't get past the first page), but at least you can pictures of the product. It's not cheap, but it's an excellent moisturizer for kids with skin problems.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:24 pm 

Lydia I use a really good moisturizer called Renew - supposed to be excellent for people with eczema (good for kids ...no toxins , fairly natural)....has tea tree oil in it. I have severely dry skin and it does wonders for me. Not in stores though...pm me and I'll tell you how to get it...or pm me your address and I'll send you a free trial size of it. It comes from my company.