You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:23 am 

A member of my local support group told me that her son, who works at Kelsey’s, had a meeting this weekend to go over their new menu. He found out that as of this week, they have a new ice cream supplier -- Neilson’s -- so they can no longer tell clients that their ice cream is peanut/nut free.

She suggested that the chain must have had a better offer than Chapman’s for the contract.

She said the manager at their local Kelsey's isn’t very impressed, but it was a head office decision, so there isn’t much she can do.

Just in case anyone has become used to ordering this from the chain – it probably also affects Swiss Chalet & Montana’s.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:07 pm 

i'm still shaking from talking to a Montana rep. Yes, it is true - she left me an initial message saying that they didn't believe the Chapman's original ice-cream was in fact peanut/nut free. I called her back saying I don't know where she got that information as they put it on their products and are very allergy aware. Anyhow it is true.

I let her know that a good number of people go to that restaurant BECAUSE they have the chapman's (in our case it is). I also told her that it is not only families with kids with allergies but others in their lives (relatives, friends, etc.).

All, she could say was that she would pass it on (GRRRRRR). My next step - CARA, the owners of the chains mentioned in Karen's post.

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:34 pm 

Let us know what you find out, J!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:06 am 

Hi,

Left a telephone message at Cara (owners of the chain), no answer yet. Just left an email. I will let you know what they tell me.

Jacqueline

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 am 

Update: got a telephone call from Cara's nutritionist. Basically, got a lot of excuses such as their contract has always been with Neilson's and that many restaurants seemed to have side deals, that their restaurants have never been guaranteed nut free (they will be even less so now!). She said this policy has been in place for more than 5 months and was surprised I had just heard about it now but I said that's funny we had Chapman's two weeks ago. In the end she said the usual "I will pass on your comments...blah, blah, blah".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:32 am 

Well, if enough people contact them they might change their minds. It has happened in the past. If you post the contact info here Jacqueline it would give others a chance to call.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:04 pm 

Ok, sounds good

Montana's general contact number
1-877-439-1155.

Cara Foods - 1-905-405-6500 (make sure you say you don't want to be transfered to Montana's that you want to talk about Cara practices - they transfered me twice or better yet you can email them at info@cara.com.

Jacqueline