You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:25 pm 

My 17 month old son has an appointment next week to get the chicken pox vaccine. I want him to get the vaccine because he is prone to eczema and I have heard that if he contacts CP that it could be very nasty. But I am also very nervous about giving him the vaccine because of his allegy to egg protein. I am confused because I have read alot online that there is no egg protein in the CP vaccine nor is it made in eggs, yet there are tons of people on forums that say their allergist said not to give the vaccine to an egg allergic child. Has anyone here had any problems with the vaccine?

I should also add that ds broke out in a severe whole body hive-like rash a few days after having the MMR and the Men C Conjugate vaccines. I'm not sure if it was related to the vaccines or not but it doesn't help to reassure me that there will be no problems with this vaccine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Admin

I dould suggest you speak with your childs Dr. Our daughter was diagnosed at 10 months of age with anaphylaxis food allergies to egg and milk. She was given the MMR vaccination (and waited in the Dr's office several hours) and Prevnar (chicken pox vaccine).

Perhaps it is because the MMR was well tolerated or perhaps it was because the Dr's office is accross the street from a local hospital that the Dr was more confident that he cold handle any situation which arose.

We do not give her the flu vaccine but my husband and I both get it.

I don't think Prevnar has egg in it. From what I read it is more of a concenr for those who are allergic to soy or yeast.

I used a search engine and found the ingredients to be:
Quote:
Prevnar (Wyeth-Ayerst) Prevnar™, Pneumococcal 7-valent Conjugate Vaccine (Diphtheria CRM 197 Protein), is a sterile solution of saccharides of the capsular antigens of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 4, 6B, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F, and 23F individually conjugated to diphtheria CRM 197 protein. Each serotype is grown in soy peptone broth. The individual polysaccharides are purified through centrifugation, precipitation, ultrafiltration, and column chromatography. The polysaccharides are chemically activated to make saccharides which are directly conjugated to the protein carrier CRM 197 to form the glycoconjugate. This is effected by reductive amination. CRM 197 is a nontoxic variant of diphtheria toxin isolated from cultures of Corynebacterium diphtheriae strain C7 ((beta)197) grown in a casamino acids and yeast extract-based medium. CRM 197 is purified through ultrafiltration, ammonium sulfate precipitation, and ion-exchange chromatography. The individual glycoconjugates are purified by ultrafiltration and column chromatography and are analyzed for saccharide to protein ratios, molecular size, free saccharide, and free protein. Prevnar™ is manufactured as a liquid preparation. Each 0.5 mL dose is formulated to contain: 2 µg of each saccharide for serotypes 4, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F, and 23F, and 4 µg of serotype 6B per dose (16 µg total saccharide); approximately 20 µg of CRM 197 carrier protein; and 0.125 mg of aluminum per 0.5 mL dose as aluminum phosphate adjuvant.

http://www.whale.to/v/ingredients6.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 am 

Just a quick comment. I think that Prevnar is a different vaccine. The chicken pox vaccine is called Varivax. (There is another brand name as well, but I don't recall what it is.) I had a reaction to Varivax, but that might have been to the Neomycin within it. I don't think there are any egg ingredients in Varivax.

Here is a list of ingredients in the Varivax brand of chicken pox vaccine:

(Note: Chicken pox is also called varicella.)

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/varivax.htm