You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:08 pm 

Hi there...
I recently found out that I am allergic to corn, among many other things such as soy, almonds, walnuts, peanuts, carrots and canteloupe.
a couple months later, I had my first panic attack, which I thought was an allergic reaction to something I ate, possibly anapahlactic shock.
I was on prozac at the time, just started it a couple days prior to the attack...so doctor took me off of it. Started Zoloft last Wednesday, but I found yesterday that it has corn in it. Ugh!!!!
So do most of the antidepressent medications. Paxil, xanax....
Are there any suggestions out there, of meds that worked for you?
So far, it looks like my only reaction has been itching...but very anxious of getting somethign worse.
Thank you so much for your support!!!!
35yr old..new to allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:50 pm 

I think you may be surprised at how much better you feel once you get most of the corn out of your diet. I used to get totally "hyper"...wanting to crawl out of my skin when I would have a reaction to something I did not know was corn...i.e. derivatives that you need to be a food scientist to figure out. I think I was having some kind of anxiety attack also. You might also be able to cut back on the antidepressants when you start to feel better.

Many people with corn allergy get their medication specially compounded for them without any corn. If you go to the following site and scroll down to almost the end there is a list of compounding pharmacists. There is also a ton of other information there. Please note that many of the foods listed as corn free may be ok for some but not for others...depending on their sensitivity. Here is the site:

http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 am 

I'm glad this question is finaly asked....

I actually realized (after spending hours in pharmacies reading ingredients...) that most if not all caplet or pill form medecine contain corn or derivatived...As well as liquid form medicine...I supposed that's how they keep shape....That is also why I can't have any antihistmines for my mild allergic reactions, no aspirin, advil, Robaxacet, lactaid caplets, etc....Basically, no pain/symptoms relievers of any sort because I also react to the gellcaps....and xanthan, guar often used in liquid form antibiotics, cold/allergy medecine, etc...

Needless to say the terror of getting sick and needing medicine practically keeps me up at nigjht...as well as the somewhat minor symptoms/reactions to food....I'm always exhausted...

How do people with corn allergies treat illnesses and deal with pain?....

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:10 am 

This is why we NEED to get corn recognized as one of the top allergens...so that we CAN find some safe medicine to take. All of the ingredients for medicine can be made from other things such as potato, tapioca, etc. If only one drug company would dedicate a line of medicine without any corn, it would be extremely helpful. I have been pretty lucky (knock on wood) in that I haven't had to take much medicine. For headaches I made tea from White Willow Bark, which is the original aspirin. You can usually find it at a health food store...it looks like sawdust. This is not safe for anyone allergic to aspirin...be aware. If I'm sick with a cold I make tea with fresh ginger, lemon and honey...this works amazingly well.

I know that there is a compounding pharmacy in Saskatoon and I'm sure that there are many across Canada and the U.S. If and when I need medicine for a more serious illness, I will be ordering from a compounding pharmacy.

I have to admit though...a visit to a hospital ER is very SCARY! A few years ago I had to go in for stitches and when asked if I had any allergies I said yes, corn. The admissions clerk would not even write it on my chart until I insisted. She had no idea that it was in medication!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:01 am 

Is there a list of a web site of those compounding pharmacies? I'm from Québec...Must admit I a have never heard of such a thing....When you say you will order from compounding pharmacies, do mean over the internet? Or can you ask you pharmacist to do it?....

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:09 am 

I have never had to order any medication from a compounding pharmacist yet so I am not sure about the procedure. I do know that you need to have a prescription even if it is just for tylenol or benedryl, etc. I think your doctor should be able to help you find one that is close to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:33 am 

Thank you all so much for the information.

I read on another corn allergy forum, that some corn allergy sufferers have taken paxil.
Has anyone taken this with ok results?

My doctor gave me a prescription for klonidine, but I looked at the ingredients and it also has corn derivatives.
I will definitely check into the compounding pharmacies.
For now, I changed my laundry detergent, and have had a skin reaction. ugh!!!!!

Still having fun testing the waters so to speak...literally too!!!
Thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:40 am 

What kind of laundry detergent did you use? I use Tide Unscented with no problems. (They recently changed the box and I'm about to open a new box with the new and improved look...yikes...gets me nervous that something on the inside has changed also). I don't use any fabric softeners (they all contain corn). Dryer balls work great for getting rid of some of the static!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:32 pm 

Thank you so much.

I was actually using Tide free and clear, which I didnt notice as much of a reaction, and decided to try All free and clear. I have been using dryer sheets for years even the free and clear ones...and will now stop that and see what happens.
Isn't elimating fun???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:43 pm 

Do liquid fabric softener contain corn too?I used to use it in a ball in the washer...I too had recentrly to switch back to unscented free everything detergent....

And thanks Eldi for the info on compounding pharmacy...So far my research show it not sometihing we have in my Province....It's in Ontario, BC, Alberta or Saskatchewan and PEI...I'm getting excellent at eliminating too,,,especially food.....

Thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm 

Well...I don't know about "fun"...but eliminating stuff is challenging. That is, until there isn't much LEFT to eliminate :o)

Yes, dryer sheets are very bad...I'm sure that you will notice a huge improvement when you stop using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:50 pm 

Loumana...yes, liquid fabric softeners contain corn as well. As for the compounding pharmacies...I'm sure that you could order from Ontario. Try to contact one of them and ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 pm 

Here is a link to a compounding pharmacy in southern Ontario.

http://www.fallspharmacy.com/contact.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:41 pm 

From http://www.angelfire.com/fl/endohystnhr ... other.html :

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Pearson & Alter Compounding Pharmacists
5025 Sherbrooke St West 101
Westmount Qc H4A1S9
514-484-2222
fax 514-484-2205
e-mail rxp@videotron.ca
toll-free 800-650-5025

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:58 pm 

Wow...thanks Eldi and Karen...So you think it would be possible to order there even if I'm out of those towns?....And do they do antibiotics too?...I'll email that pharmacy in Montreal Karen...

Thanks again...