You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:40 am 

Quote:
As of July 1, Kingston General Hospital will ban fragrances and scented cleaning products and paints from its premises.

"We’re serious about this," said Katherine Wolsey, the director of occupational health and safety at the hospital. "This is a serious health concern," she said, remarking in an interview with the CBC that some employees have been made ill from the smells. Fragrance on visitors and patients caused one emergency room nurse such respiratory difficulties that she had to switch departments.

Visitors who arrive at the eastern Ontario hospital wearing perfume or cologne will be given a wet cloth and asked to wash it off. If that is not effective, they may be asked to leave to change clothes. The hospital is also advising suppliers that all cleaning solvents and paints must be low-scent or no-scent.

Wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:42 pm 

This is good news. A lot of places are going 'scent-free'---TSO concerts at Roy Thompson Hall for example, doctors' offices. I'm not entirely certain though what 'scent free' entails. I don't wear perfume, but I do use scented shampoo and wear scented deodorant. As well, I use a lightly scented body spray. I would guess that the body spray should go, but I'm not certain whether it would actually help to switch to an unscented deodorant--I've heard that manufacturers often use a scent to cover up the scent so 'unscented' products can be even more irritating than scented ones. Anyone know more about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:22 pm 

I know from my experience yesterday. that people who go to our small hosp still do not follow the guidelines.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:09 pm 

I have a question about perfumes---from what I've heard, it's the petroleum-based artificial scents that cause all the problems. There are some lines of 100% natural perfumes out there that just contain grapeseed oil + essential oils. Would this type of product be okay for someone with a severe allergy to perfume? I wouldn't want to buy it if it could cause problems for other people. (I don't have a severe allergy to perfume, although some types send me into a sneezing fit.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:17 pm 

Personnally, I react to both perfums and most essential oils... things natural can cause reactions too, but for different reasons. Incents are really bad for me as they can cause unconciousness. People around me know that when they think it smells good, I say it stinks as I get really bad headaches from all things that 'smell good'. It's one of the reason why my doctor sent me home early when I was in the hospital a couple of years ago: all those scents (and flowers) were making me worst!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:57 am 

Darn. I was hoping I had found a hypoallergenic perfume.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:36 am 

I was sent home once as a Nurse was wearing too much perfume and had been there all night for my asthma. The Doctor said it would be saver ! Now they do not wear perfume only the lady I took for the ultrasound the other day. She had that and I was taken to the ER as I was going unconious from my asthma.
I can not wear any perfume, some of the natural oils use to give me a rash but that is a long time ago. Never tried them again.
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:38 pm 

From my experience, most things can cause allergies. Some things just tend to cause allergies to more people than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:11 pm 

You're right, Mylene. I guess I should just not buy the perfume. It's funny that I should raise this topic today. I was talking to one of my sisters this afternoon, and she had a reaction from the lavendar essential oil she put into one of those essential oil burners.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:51 pm 

I am not sure if I am unusual or not,but a long time ago one doctor told me it probably wasn't the scent that was bothering me in everything but the chemical that carries the scent. If I am not mistaken I think it was called asis. I admit I didn't take too much notice of what he was telling me as this was in my infancy of having difficulties with scent issues. I know for a fact that even though the hospitals near me are posted "this is a scent free zone" it has made very little difference. I feel sorry for the people that have to work there all day. When I am rushed in,the doctors too sends me home as quick as humanly possible as I too get sicker the longer I am exposed to that enviroment whether on oxygen or not. My family doctor(who has given up his hospital privileges) told me that if you are on oxygen you still get 40% of room air. I believe it as this has been my experience. If I go to hospital with my positive personal air respirator on and do not have to remove it for whatever test I am having............I have no reaction as there is no percentage of air that can get to me that hasn't passed through the organic hepa filter. I am a rare one that has to use this, but many have told me it won't be long and I will have company....................this thought makes me very sad as my machine, though portable, limits how long and where I can go just by the side effects from wearing it too long. Enough for now, I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in about the "scent free zones".-quacker10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:38 am 

I don't understand how scent free places ( especially hospitals ) can continue to allow smokers to work there, go outside for a cigarette and come back in. They stink!!! I do not have environmental allergies, but I feel for those who do.

When my youngest daughter was born (2 1/2 years ago ), the hospital was scent free. My daughter was really mucousy, and breathing heavy. She was examined and put on a monitor for the first 24 hours. The nurse looking after her in the newborn nursery, STUNK!!! She stunk like cigarettes and purfume. It was awful. I was quite upset that a smoker would be allowed to work in the nursery! As well, I think she used purfume to cover up the small of the cigarettes.

I was really upset. Luckily my daughter improved and I got her out of there. I just thought that it was an awful situation. These little newborns who are having problems were forced to breath in cigarette smoke and purfume. It makes me mad just to remember it.

Since my daughters now both have food allergies, I try to be as considerate as possible towards the allergies of others. I do not let my kids run around eating in public, and I always wash their hands after eating. We eat a lot of soy, some people are allergic to soy, just as my kids are to milk, nuts etc. . I don't like it when people spread my kids allergens around, so I wouldn't do it to anyone else. I also do not wear purfume, and use as many unscented products as possible. I know that it bothers some people, so I don't want to contribute to what is bothering them.

I really try to live "treat others as you would like to be treated" and model that attitude for my girls. Hopefully it helps them to be good people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:49 am 

I agree cigettate smoke is really stinky! It just sticks to the people, then that residue is left and they would handle a infant.
Why are all the smoking places just right outside the buildings enterance?
Kelly