Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:

We use Nuvel - it's a Quebec product. It does actually have a Kosher(Dairy) symbol on it, but I called the company and was assured that there is no dairy on the product line. They actually seemed confused about why the folks who advise them on the Kosher symbol wanted it on there...

K.

My daughter anaphylaxed last night :(, and we're still in 'detective' mode trying to figure what could've caused it since it happened at home... We've narrowed it down to a couple possibilites, one of them being Nuvel Margarine, which she had for the first time. (Everything else, she had before, but we're still looking at some remote cross-contamination possibilities.) Anyways, I called the Nuvel Rep today, and they told me that Nuvel Lactose Free was processed on the same line as products that contain dairy, but they have a 'thorough cleaning process'... FYI! I guess I'll stick to cooking with oil and using Tenderflake for baking until I feel comfortable trying a new margarine!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm 

I'm very sorry that this has happened.

If you still have the Nuvel (and any of the other suspected foods) with you, you should get it tested for her allergens. I would call MAPAQ (that is who I had to deal with when my son reacted to soy milk and we suspected dairy):

http://www.mapaq.gouv.qc.ca/Fr/Consommation/nousjoindre

I do not know exactly who you are supposed to talk to - I used to have that info but cannot find it right now. I would call the general number - 1 888 222-MAPA (6272) - explain the situation, and ask them who you should be contacting to get the foods tested.

When we had our experience, they had someone at our house the very next day. They took it very seriously and I was very impressed.

Most provinces have to deal with the CFIA, but in Quebec, it's MAPAQ.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, I hope your llittle girl is OK.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:34 pm 

I just want to clarify the Fleischmann's margarine issue. I just got off the phone with a Unilever representative who told me this:

The 2lb tubs of Fleischmann's Lactose Free Margarine, and Unsalted (which is also Lactose Free) have been discontinued.

However, the TWIN PACKS of Lactose Free and Unsalted(also lactose free) have NOT been discontinued. PHEW!!!

FYI...For those of you who may have stocked up on the twin packs of Lactose free, like I did... I was informed the shelf-life of this product is 8 months!!!! :D :D :D

Spring

My 11 yr old daughter---- allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts and treenuts ---also has asthma, eczema (out grown)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:48 am 

My 6 year old daughter really enjoyed the Canola Harvest Lactose Free margarine, seemed to be the only margarine she could eat with mashed potatoes. Canola Harvest has been discontinued but I know they did this a couple of years ago due to low sales and I think enough people complained. So I think it is important that we all band together for our dairy allergy children, family, and friends to request Canola Harvest to reconsider this decision. It is important for us to have a choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:51 am 

I agree - we LOVED the Canola Harvest dairy free brand. I was so excited when they brought it back on the market awhile ago - and very sad to see it leave!!

The whole Fleischmann's thing just gives me a headache! :roll: Good news if the twin tubs are available again - I just don't know how to go about getting them here in SK! Our Safeway stores have told me they cannot order this product anymore...I wished I could have it delivered right to my door! hee hee

I just purchased a bread maker, so no I am in need of a nice margarine again. Think I'll give the Becel RSF a try. Not great for cooking I've heard, but good on a fresh piece of bread!

Thanks everyone for your posts - I really enjoy reading about many of the experiences and frustrations we seem to share!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:27 pm 

I am not sure if this is a province by province issue. I am still able to get Fliechman at my regular stores in Edmonton.
Stephanie