You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:30 pm 

Are any of the Wilton Food Colouring and/or their icing tubes/gels safe to be consumed by someone with peanut/tree nut/sesame seed allergies? Has anyone used these and experienced a reaction? Right now I am decorating with mainly white icing ....boring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:46 pm 

It seems like there are a lot of bakers on this board...I'm just a novice. Can anyone kindly reply to my post? Thank you!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Sorry Sanrio! I hadn't responded because I don't use the Wilton products. I would suggest you make a phone call to Wilton and ask them directly.

I use the decorator icing recipe that Saskmommyof2 gave http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... hday+cakes

I have made boring cupcakes, I have mixed colours and made a mermaid on a cupcake (I used zip lock sandwich bags and cut the corner out to make a squeeze bag. I have made doll cakes (bake your cake in a bowl, invert, decorate and stick a clean doll in the top). I even made a large rectangular cake, iced it blue, cut fish shapes out of fruit leather type candy, used Skittles for bubbles and those wavy candles from the dollar store to create an underwater theme cake. Some moms swear that the sprinkles are enough to make cupcakes special enough and sprinckles come in all manner f colours and shapes.

If you find the product is free of your particular allergens, please post that information.
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:32 am 

I use Betty Crocker icing. I trust their labelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 pm 

I would also recommend calling Wilton - they have info available on all their products however for us, it was unsuitable from a dairy, egg and sesame perspective.
Good luck!
Using the standard ClubHouse 4 pack of food colourings can give you a surprising array of colours... Just takes patience experimenting, but I was sold after getting a reasonable skin tone to do a Cinderella cake