You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:51 pm 

Hi, I'm very new to all this - 9 month old with peanut, egg white allergy.

I was gonna make some choc. with my older child and went to Michaels to buy some melting choc. There is no warning with may contains or any warnings of anything for that matter. It's Wilton melting choc.

Would anyone here consider it safe? Since we can't purchase the chocolate from the bulk barn and it would seem that any company that is nut free that makes melting chocolate is in the states. Not sure what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

See this post about links to CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) regarding labelling regulations.

If you scroll down to the section Precautionary Statements you will see what is allowed and why. I believe that at this time it is still voluntary.

Personally, I like to know what the policy is for each company regarding may contains.

I contact the company either by telephone or e-mail. I advise which allergens we are avoiding, why (life threatening allergy), inquire if other items run on the same production line are made using these allergens and if yes, how is the equipment cleaned and would a precautionary statement be issued. I also ask if the allergens are used the facility and if there wiould be a precautionary statement issued.

Once I have this information, I can make a decision.

By the way, we are avoiding these same allergens and then some. I use:
1 cup President's Choice Too Good To Be True Chocolate Chips
1 tbsp vegetable shortening
Melt in microwave and blend.

We also purchase dried nougat from the Bulk Barn (It's prepackaged). We have been following the directions but substituting margarine for butter and soy milk for milk. We have tried using Jello for flavouring but next time will try Kool-aid as the Jello crystals are too crunchy :P . I'll bet you could use instant coffee for mocha chocolates.
Shpe the nougat into a log and cut into pieces, freeze and drop into melted chocolate to coat. Cool on waxed paper.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:34 pm 

Not anymore do I consider it safe if I don't see it listed. The Companies try and hide things like enhanced color and flavor (additives). And even if you email them, they'll deny they've changed the ingredients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:10 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
See this post about links to CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) regarding labelling regulations.

Susan - what post did you mean?

Did you mean this link?

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rgee.shtml

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, oops! :oops: I guess I was a little rushed that day.

I can understand not fully trusting companies. Some are very good though and really try to answer questions accurately. Other companies such as store brands get their products from another company and may not be able to fully answer your questions. It's up to each of us to read labels and ask questions until we can make an informed decision.

In the end nothing can be guarunteed, 100% absolutley safe. That is why we never eat anything unless we have our Epi-Pen. Nothing is 100% in life.

I can't imagine anyone purposefully lying about an ingredient. I understand that recalls are very expensive and no company would want to go through that.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:21 pm 

I too would call the company, ask what their policy is with regards to labelling, and then take it from there. I would not assume anything unless I had first talked to the company.

For example, with Kellogg's I have talked to them a number of times and know that:
- They label for the top 9 allergens, and also put a may contain statement if they feel that there is a risk that a particular product may contain one of the top 9 allergens (i.e. because of cross-contamination).
- It may be that the allergen is on the production line but they feel that they are cleaning the line enough to ensure that the allergen does not get in the product I am calling about. So there will be no mention in the label about the allergen.
- Basically, if the allergen is not on the label, it's because they feel sure that it is not in the product.

So because I have called Kellogg's a number of times and always gotten the same response, I do trust their labelling.

But other companies have other policies, and so I feel I have to check.

K.