You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:02 am 

One day a couple of years ago my copy of AAIA's newsletter arrived and in a little blurb from the editor it stated that the Government was taking away the disability amount for people with anaphylaxis and celiac's disease.

For two years, (2001, 2002), people with anaphylaxis to foods and people with celiac's disease were eligible for the $, and then the government changed the laws so they couldn't. However, I applied for the disability amount for the 2 years and we got a VERY sizable amount back.

It was really easy to do. I went on the Revenue Canada website and downloded the disability tax credit form. I wnet to my DR. and got them to fill in the part where they have to give a description/diagnosis (none of the other boxes apply). I wrote a letter asking them to adjust our taxes, with any other documentation I could find (allergist reports, etc.)

About 2 months later we received the adjustment. I know two other families who also applied and got reimbursed.

I think the deadline for adjustments is 5 years so get on it!!

Pam

PS - the person would have had to have been diagnosed with anaphylaxis prior to 2001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:33 pm 

it's not THAT easy to do for everyone... If had phone call back and forth for about 6 months!!!! And that was not even going back in the years, it was doing it one the right year... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:09 am 

I now know 5 families who have received this tax break.

I think that there is a 5 year deadline, so 2006 would be the last year that you could claim for 2001.

I don't mean to be crass and talk about $, but the amount of money is about equal to 2 months full time employment for me, so it was worth the hoops I jumped throught, and it was not hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:57 am 

I agree Pamela. We also qualified, and it wasn't that hard... To be honest, the worst part for me was figuring out where to deliver the forms!!

And it was a decent chunk of cash, so if you think you might qualify, you should check it out before it's too late.

K.

Post subject: Tax 2007
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:27 pm 

I noticed they have a tax allowable medical expense for Gluten-free products

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/individual ... tml#gluten

Gluten-free products - the incremental cost associated with the purchase of gluten-free products, as compared to the cost of comparable non-gluten-free products. A medical practitioner must certify in writing that the person requires gluten-free food due to celiac disease

Has anyone submitted expenses for dairy / nut allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:50 pm 

We have not. I think our accountant would have told us if it were something that we could benefit from. But maybe I will ask...!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 pm 

I spoke to a few acct. this week - it only applies to celiac disease

Maybe the ANAPHYLAXIS CANADA can help us push this to the next level and in the future be treated the same way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

I spoke to a lawyer years ago who used to work at CRA. He said that rules came into place because of a specific interest group. Other groups for whom the rules might apply would have toperition for a change to be included.

I think I tried to get interest in this years ago but gave up when no one expressed interest.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... light=#262

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 pm 

Earlier this week I went to my MP's office to speak to them about this issue. I was told to make changes we would need to start a petition to lobby for changes. I believe we would have strong case. Any suggestions or interest in pursuing this?

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject: government and law
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:25 pm 

I would definitely have interest in persuing this, perhaps Anaphylaxis Canada or AAIA could assist and maybe Allergic Living could possibly help by publisizing such petition as well.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:12 am 

Luvmykids,
Perhaps we could check with Gwen to see if this is something somenone is already working on. I will send her an email, and let you know what she has to say.

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:42 pm 

Just an update. I sent Gwen an email via Allergic Living but have not heard back. I have also contacted the Federal Finance Dept without much luck. I will next try contacting AAIA and see if they are working on this.
Stephanie

Post subject: government and law
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 am 

I've emailed Allergic Living today to see if they would consider helping to advocate the disability amount be reinstated as in 2001-2002.

Anything would help.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat