You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 am 

Hi, everyone...

I've just found, through a friend, this potato based beverage, English Bay Dairy-Free . They claim it to be free of:
* lactose
* fat
* protein
* preservatives
* soy
* rice
* gluten
* MSG

But my question is...does it contain corn?....I don't like the "natural flavour". I've reacted to that before...I think...Here is the lists of ingredients for their Original and chocolate flavour:

INGREDIENTS:

ORIGINAL: Filtered water, maltodextrin (from potatoes), contains 2% or less of: fructose, potato starch, natural flavors (no MSG), calcium carbonate, carrageenin, salt, potassium citrate, tricalcium phosphate, titanium dioxide color (an inert mineral), lactic acid (plant-derived).
Not to be used as infant formula.

CHOCOLATE: Filtered water, fructose, maltodextrin (from potatoes), contains 2% or less of: Dutch process cocoa, potato starch, titanium dioxide color (an inert mineral), calcium carbonate, natural flavors (no MSG), carrageenin, salt, potassium citrate, tricalcium phosphate.
Not to be used as infant formula.

And their web site... http://www.englishbaydairyfree.com/default.aspx

Thanks for your help....If I could just find something for baking....I don't mind the not drinking....

Loumana

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:57 am 

I would not be able to use this product. The following ingredients can be and usually are made from corn:

fructose
natural flavours
potassium citrate
lactic acid (almost always made from corn)

Here is a list of corn derivatives. I have a personal rule that I do not eat anything with more than 2 (safe) ingredients listed. Any more than that is just too risky.

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... e-list.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:55 am 

Thanks Eldi..figured it was again too good to be true....I did suddenly had a hunch that "natural flavour" must have something to do with corn....

Oh well....back to drinking and baking/cooking exclusively with Pear nectar....

I'll print your list right away...

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:34 pm 

Some of the corn allergics on another forum are using hemp seed milk for things like baking. Apparently it doesn't taste too good plain, but it works fine for baking. Here is a site that explains how you can make it and I think you can buy it ready made as well. I'm not sure how it would fit into your list of allergens, but I thought I would let you know anyway.

What kind of pear nectar are you using? I didn't know there was one that didn't contain some form of corn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:35 pm 

OOOoooops...I forgot to add the link. Here it is:

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/recipes/ ... .asp?id=52

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 pm 

It's called RESTOY...just noticed the glucose sirup as last of 4 ingredients....Don't tell me...I have to give that up too....So it's just water for me from now on? unless I buy a juicer that I can't afford?.....

IMy allergies are definetively worse than a prison....at least there you can have Bread ans water....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:50 pm 

SOrry, it's ROSTOY http://www.gruporostoy.es/en/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 pm 

I would never survive on bread and water in prison...lol I have to make special bread for myself. Please do be careful with bread...there is corn in most bread (i.e. yeast, enrichments, dough conditioners, preservatives, etc.) I make buckwheat waffles and freeze them for my bread. I doubt the prison kitchen would go to that much trouble...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:07 pm 

I've given up on bread (even the homemade one...) a long time ago Eldi...yeast, guar gum, xanthan gum....there all necessary to make bread and I React to all...It was a bad joke..." at least they have bread and water" as in...All I can have is water....

with the gluten, soy, corn and rice allergies...the closest eadible thing to bread I've been able to make were homemade muffins out of Buckwheat, quinoa and arrowroot flour....but they taste nasty baked with water instead of milk or juice....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:26 pm 

LOL...gotcha on the water...yeah...that's all I would be able to have as well...sigh

Have you tried organic or unenriched goat's milk? I can't do dairy either, but I do great with unenriched goat's milk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:33 pm 

I've tried goat's milk...don't know it it was unenriched goat's milk....What brand is yours?....I still needed some "Lactaid" as it did give me symptoms of my lactose intolerance...or was it corn all along?....I found out last august that Lactaid tablets, as all other tablets, aspirins, antihistimines etc....all contain corn....

I just don't know anymore....

I'll try and look for unenriched goat milk at my IGA or METRO tonight depending on what the weather is like when I get off work....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:47 pm 

Yes, any milk, even goat's milk that is enriched will most likely have corn oil in it (as well as a few other corn derivatives). I'm in Sask and I have found some safe, unenriched goat's milk that comes from Salmon Arm, BC. I'm sure you should be able to find some pure goat's milk somewhere. It's worth a try...