You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:42 am 

When I was looking at their "nutty flax" and "cinnamon crunch granola" cereal the other week I noticed that there was a discrepancy between the ingredients list on the labelling printed for export to Canada and the actual ingredients list as can be found by peeling off the label or checking on the company's website. http://www.enjoylifenb.com

Turns out they just slapped on the label on the "nutty flax" cereal that they use for "nutty rice." :x I doubt anyone who is anaphylactic to flax would buy a cereal called "nutty flax" but the cereal is nut free so there is a chance that someone would think they had purchased a nut-free, flax-free cereal that tastes like nutty flax.

The cinnamon crunch granola cereal contains undeclared gum arabic, rosemary, and some vitamins.

The store at which I found the cereal took the cereal off their shelves and contacted the company. I also contacted the company to complain, but I never did hear back. (I emailed them first on August 5.) I don't know whether they are doing anything about this so I'm going into 'allergy activist mode'---I contacted the food inspection agency.

I am quite disappointed--after all, the whole point of the company is they are supposed to provide safe food for allergic consumers! The fact that they messed up not once but twice and that their consumer relations department seems to need some pointers on dealing with the public (not answering emails about legitimate complaints is *not* a good idea) makes me wonder about the company. To put in a good word for them, though, they do make really good cereal. And the granola is super healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Good for you! Let us know how it develops.
I e-mailed the Canadian Food Inspection Agency when I noticed that the Presidents Choice Chocolate Chips listed "an emulsifer". I e-mailed the company and they didn't respond so I e-mailed CFIA asking if this was specific enough.
The next time I looked "soy lecithin" was listed instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:05 pm 

It's good to know that we can make a difference. And maybe President's Choice not only changed the labelling on that product but changed the labelling on other products too. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:39 pm 

I bought a box of Nutty Flax anyway. No sticker slapped over for Canadian sale though.

At the top is says "Made in a nut-free facility", then under the ingredients it says "Made in a facility that also manufactures products containing soy and gluten. Siirct manufacturing and sanitation practices are employed to prevent cross contamination."

It is safe for me because of the Nut-free information. :D
We have risked it on my granddaughter because soy has to build up in her system before it is a problem. :roll:

But I am still interested in knowing.

Annette

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:23 pm 

Re Enjoy Life - despite Lisa's one experience, I really like this company. Have had their products in the States and sampled some at Allergy Expo.

The cookies - free of all major allergens - were delicious, especially the chocolate. Can't say the same of some of the other cookies I sampled (as she ate her way thru the Expo).

The woman at the booth said they'd be coming into Canada in a big way this fall. Personally, i can't wait. And as for companies that are aiming products at the allergic, I'm all for them. :) stella

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:13 am 

I haven't gotten back on what happened with my complaint because I simply do not know. I got an email asking for my phone number....then later I got an email asking me for more information about the product. I haven't heard anything else. By now, I'm sure most of the cereal is off of the shelves. It's a good thing that the problem wasn't something like dairy or nuts that a lot of people are allergic to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:48 pm 

I forgot to get back to everyone on what happened with my complaint. I'm unhappy with the way in which the Food Inspection Agency dealt with this issue so I will post a full account of our correspondence.

On Wed, Aug 31st I received the following message from the Food Inspection Agency:

Hi ----,

I am from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and I will be following up on
your issue regarding the Nutty Flax Cereal Bar.

I was hoping you could fill me in with some more details.
Where did you purchase these items (Address and Date)?
If you are able to fax me a copy of the labels @ 416-665-5069?
If you cannot fax me the label, I was hoping you could tell me more details
about the product. UPC, Lot Code, Product Code?

My message seems to have gotten a bit mixed up--the problem was with the Nutty Flax cereal as well as a couple of other cereals (and not with a cereal bar.)
I was wondering why it took so long for them to respond, as I had received a response to my original message some time before that:

Subject: [ISO-8859-1] Re: WEB RESPONSE / RÉPONSE DU WEB[ISO-8859-1]
ID:2005/8-660:mislabelling of 2 products for[ISO-8859-1] export to Canada

Thank you for your recent inquiry which you sent to our website. Your request
has been forwarded to the Labelling Section, who will provide you with a
response in the near future.

And shortly after that (Aug 17), I had received the following message:

We have received the information on mislabeling of your product. I would need
your address and telephone number to get a food inspector in your area call you
back. The report has been written and as soon as I hear from you we will have the
inspector call you back withing 24 to 48 hours.
Hope to hear from you soon.

(I emailed them back, but maybe they decided not to attempt to phone me since I was going to be in 3 different places over the next several weeks. In any case, no one ever attempted to contact me until they sent the message posted above on Aug 31st.)

In any case, on Aug 31st I sent them all the information I had and gave them my contact information again in case they had any further questions, but I never heard back, not even to acknowledge the receipt of my email.

I eventuall sent the following message:

I would appreciate hearing back about what has been done about the
labelling problem with Enjoy Life Foods Products.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
------------

To which I received the following reply (Mon., Sept 19th):

Unfortunately, I cannot discuss the issue with you any further. All I can say
is that the issue has been entered into our database and will be dealt with
accordingly by an appropriate inspector.

I don't quite understand what is so top secret about the issue. The problem with labelling was clear----the cereal was not labelled in accordance with our labelling laws. Not only did the product (Nutty Flax Cereal) contain undeclared flax but it also contained undeclared sorghum. (I should note that there was another problem with the labelling of a couple of other cereals made by Enjoy Life Foods--gum arabic was omitted from the list as were a few other ingredients--but I can't remember now what they were.) While allergies to sorghum aren't all that common, I've heard that some people who are allergic to corn cannot eat sorghum as the two plants are related. I am disappointed with how long it took the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to respond to my complaint. I would hope that they would respond more quickly if the issue were a common allergy like milk and peanuts. But that doesn't make it any better for people who are anaphylactic to flax or sorghum.

In spite of all this, I am still buying products by Enjoy Life Foods as it is so hard for me to find products that I can actually eat, and I do like their cereal! While I would recommend boycotting any other company that was so negligent in their labelling practises, I can't recommend doing so for this company as they are one of the few companies out there that make innovative foods for people with the most common multiple food allergies.

I sure hope that my experience in dealing with the Food Inspection Agency was the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa, first you shoud be very proud of yourself for not 'letting it go'. Second, would you contact Anaphylaxis Canada? I'm sure they woud be interested. Third, in any company there are those who excel, those who merely get by and those who drop the ball.
Sometimes we need to keep yelling but chnage the phrase ever so slightly until we are understood and someone takes action.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:39 pm 

Hi Susan, Thanks :) Contacting Anaphylaxis Canada would be a good idea--I will do that.