You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:00 pm 

I had a skin test for common airborne allergens in my area 10 days ago. Hypodermic injections of allergens were applied to my upper arm. Most of those spots have disappeared, but a few have remained. One spot is still swollen and deep maroon. Another spot itches, even though it is difficult to see. I have put Lanacane and 1% hydrocortisone on my arm a few times, besides washing it every day. The nurse is on vacation, so I sent a photo of the sites to the PA, who said she did not believe there was anything to worry about.

I'm not worried that my arm is going to fall off, but what does it mean when I continue to react to test sites a few weeks after the test? I'm supposed to begin immune therapy, which means, I suppose, that I would go through this every week. That test messed me up all week. I felt weird for days. What is this therapy going to do to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

It seems odd that you are still reacting so long after the test. Is this a skin prick test?
Could the test site have developed an infection? Could you have developed a sensativity to an ingredient in the Lanacane?
Quote:
Are there any unwanted side effects?
On very rare occasions Lanacane can result in a skin reaction called sensitivity. This could become apparent by reddening of the skin, minor swelling, blistering, or through an intensification of the itch. In the unlikely event that you experience these symptoms, stop using Lanacane and consult your doctor for advice.

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/m ... _cream.htm

If the Dr is not overly concerned perhaps you could just bathe and cover the area.

I hope you start to feel better soon. I would suggest discussing your concerns regarding future treatments with your Dr.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:24 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
It seems odd that you are still reacting so long after the test. Is this a skin prick test?

The skin prick test was on my forearm. Those sites have virtually disappeared. Additionally, I was administered a sub-cutaneous injection with hypodermic needles on my upper arm. Out of a dozen or so injections, I still have 4 visible. One of them looks like a small strawberry mark.

_Susan_ wrote:
Could the test site have developed an infection? Could you have developed a sensativity to an ingredient in the Lanacane?

It doesn't look like an infection, and the Physician's Assistant agrees with that. I'm not reacting to Lanacane on the other places where I have spread it, so I don't think I am reacting to it on these spots.

Thanks for replying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm not reacting to Lanacane on the other places where I have spread it, so I don't think I am reacting to it on these spots.

Well, at least that's a good thing! :)

Post subject: LANACANE WARNING !
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm 

LANACANE WARNING !

TO ALL THOSE ABOUT TO USE LANACANE - EXTRA STRENGTH IN MY CASE
ALLERGIC REACTION

Approximately 1 week ago, today. I applied Lanacane for a bothersome itch. All hell broke loose within the hour. The symptoms were both nasty and quite unbearable at times to say the least.

Also, had to get medical attention within 24 hours.

This list includes the symtoms I encountered as a result of using this damn medication. Sorry, but it was a bad experience.

I thought that people should know how severe of an allergic reaction you can expect.

Blistering all over my body, ESPECIALLY, on hands and any region that came in contact with Lanacane
Bloody fluid discharge
Burning & stinging
Scratching beyond belief, all over body
Developed hives & swelling
Will loose a few fingernails due to CONTACT DERMATITIS, directly, related to the use of Lanacane.
Nausea
Many waking hours due to excruciating discomfort
Did I mention pain

As a result to the allergic reaction. I developed chills and sweating first few days due to secondary infection from blisters and scratching.

I am, now, on day 7 still using steroids for itching, swelling, hives and contact dermatitis that continues to dominate my life as a result of Lanacane...NIGHTMARE !

Wanted to pass on my experience to others.
SO THAT THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO SUFFER, NEEDLESSLY, BECAUSE OF THIS PRODUCT BEING ON THE MARKET.. ONE SERVERE ALLERGIC REACTION IS ONE TOO MANY IN MY BOOKS.

Lots of tears later, :cry:
Pippy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

I hope your feeling better soon, Pippy!

Post subject: LANACANE UPDATE
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:21 am 

Hi! Susan:

Thank-You... I hope that I am feeling better soon, as well.. It has been a very slow process..(now 8 days) I had a very restless night, again, last evening... Bumps all over and very intense scratching. Continuing to use Ice Packs on my hands for CONTACT DERMATITIS. I am hoping that this nightmare will be over soon ! :(

Lots of Tears Later, :cry:
Pippy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:31 am 

Was this one of the spots that reacted during the initial intradermal test? I noticed, especially with my son's last reaction" that contact reactions can persist for several weeks. After he ate and reacted to peanut butter, he had this contact spot by his mouth with hives for like 6 weeks! I had to keep hydrocortisone on it because it kept turning to eczema....but it would clear up (the redness and hiviness of it) with benadryl...I don't know if these are related, but it may be some sort of subdermal persistant reaction...have antihistamines helped?

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg