You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Make-up/cosmetics
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:40 pm 

I recently found out that the make-up I use (Mary Kay) contains peanut/treenut oil/derivates... they didn't tell me which ones, but said they will mail information to me. Now I am looking for a new brand of make-up... does anyone have any suggestions? I called Revlon and they said their foundation does not contain peanut/treenut oil... I hope they knew what they were talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:22 pm 

I use M.A.C Cosmetics, they have their ingredients on almost all their products, as well as a binder of ingredients. The Body Shop has a binder as well, but i know their eyeliner has almond oil, so i have completly steered clear of there. For Foundation i have also used True Match, i think it is by Loreal, it has all the ingredients on the label, and there are so many shades to choose from. Hope this was helpful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:16 pm 
Everyday Minerals is excellent. So cost-efficient and clean and real!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:15 pm 

Thank you so much for the replies... they are both really helpful!! I tried to get info from CoverGirl and they requested a doctor's note, which I thought was really weird... why can't they answer a simple question (I just asked if their products contain peanuts, treenuts, or sesame)? I was starting to wonder if I'll never be able to wear make-up again!!

I used to wear M.A.C. Looks like that is still a good option! I also looked at the website for Everyday Minerals. It's great that they offer samples... it's pretty difficult to choose the right shade of foundation online. My samples are on the way, and I'm really looking forward to receiving them!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Faith on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:18 pm 
Faith - I was very pleasantly surprised with my Everyday Minerals. I am not one to order off the internet very often, but I heard great things about them and wanted to try something a little less chemical filled! I am still finishing up some other makeup, but I plan on getting everything from them hereafter. I did realize it's a little touch and go - so the samples are great. One of my colours was completely off, but I mean, it was free, and I can mix it with others anyway.

Their brushes are VERY well priced and lovely, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 pm 

I know what you mean... before I realized they had samples, I was wondering how I was going to be able to choose the right shade! Thanks again for the suggestion... I think this is something I'm really going to like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:19 pm 

It's funny - I've never liked wearing makeup, as I find it really irritating. I always figured that everyone felt that way but just dealt with it.

Now (in my 40s!) I am realizing that perhaps I am very sensitive to whatever is in makeup products... Funny that it took me so long to figure that out.

I sometimes think that I should make more of an effort, but I am really not in the habit of wearing makeup now, so I suspect that I never will bother.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:49 pm 

I am aware of a line of make-up that is green and clean....by Nicole Miller....the fashion designer. Don't think they use any nut oils in theirs but I could find out if anyone's interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 am 

Faith wrote:
they requested a doctor's note, which I thought was really weird... why can't they answer a simple question (I just asked if their products contain peanuts, treenuts, or sesame)? !

It's because of the perfumes. The companies that make them guard the secret of ingredients. Without a doctor's note they suspect a competitor is trying to find out their secret ingredient. The make-up company probably does not have a list of ingredients in the perfume and they have to send the request to the perfume company.

I haven't worn make-up in over 15 years. Now I need some. Two weddings to attend, and I'd like to look nice as I'll actually be in the pictures.

I started my search with Clinique as they consider themselves hypo-allergenic. Apparently that means they put the make up --- number of people who had no reaction. But, do those people have any allergies? I suspect not. I sent them an e-mail and they said if I send a request about specific product (including colour) they can check if it has my allergen. That seems to be an awful lot of work for the *pleasure* of giving them my money. :roll:

I am currently waiting for a response from Physician's Formula. They have no perfumes, so I'm hopeful.

Then, I just need to find some safe lipstick......