You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:48 pm 

Urist makes this stuff called "emulsifying ointment" that is like vaseline but it is water soluble, and that helped us a lot - you can order it from your pharmacist. You melt a large spoonful in a cup of water in the microwave and then add it to bath water and soak for 15 minutes. It really moisturizes and acts like a seal on the skin and it has no additives. Makes a real mess out of the bath, but it was worth it for us.

Going to a Chinese Dr. really helped too. He gave me a cream that cured me ialmost immediately. Now I only get occasional flare.

Post subject: Re: Eczema
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 am 

monty wrote:
I was hoping someone else out there would be able to recommend a reliable product to 'curb' eczema. Tryed many presc. products , nothing seems to work quite well. One product that does seem to work , I am cautioned that it causes 'Thinning of the skin', urns out to be correct.

monty -- mygirlsyd recommends an Aveeno product -- see the following link for the discussion. http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:23 am 

Thanks Pamela Lee - I'll see if we have an equivalent down here, but i'm sure my pharmacist will know. I think its the fact that it is so dry down here that makes it so bad - I'm really hoping that it will get a little better when we move to a slightly damper climate.

Monty - So far none of the prescipted products have done anything except maybe make it a little worse. I know that it is probably not the best thing to do, but i find masssaging baby oil into the really dry areas helps quite a bit, but it needs to be rubbed in quite a bit and fairly often to keep the skin hydrated to any decent level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:35 am 

Jules Grimm wrote:
I was wondering if its possible for Eczema to be restricted to one portion of the body. THe reason is that my boyfriend shaves his head at regular intervals and on his scalp are large circles of very dry skin which is very worrying. I thought it was dandruff at first, but it seems far to hectic to just be that and he is convinced that it is Eczema.

Is there anything that someone can suggest that could help to alleviate this?

Jules,
In response to your earlier message, i often get eczema flare-ups after I shave, expecially if I do it quickly. Even when I use an electronic razor! So I think it's possible that your bf may have it on his head, he should get it checked out.
Since we're in a sharing mood, I have had eczema since I was a baby (I'm 21 now) and my parents used to have to wrap my arms and legs in saran wrap after putting on my cream so that it wouldn't rub off in the night. I wonder if that technique is still used? My parents performed this wrapping ritual until i was about 3 or 4 (I vaguely remember it). My eczema flares up every now and then. It seems to get worse when I'm out in the heat in my elbows and behind my knees. Also, right now I have rashes under my nose and just under my bottom lip on my chin from licking my lips because it's so dry here!
I use Carmax for my lips and it works really well because it has the same texture as vaseline so it doesn't absord right away. But I need to kick my lip-licking habit stat!

Oh! and for those out there looking for a good soap, I've found that Dove is amazing! Oil of Olay isn't bad but I get a bit of ichiness with it. Stay away from Ivory though, I get itchy everywhere after using it!
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:54 pm 

I know this reply comes a few years later but perhaps someone is still looking for alternatives. I'm on a roll here for telling people about a product called Renew that helped us with eczema. See the link at:
http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f ... 2=10&l3=35

This stuff is great. If you're interested in trying this, pm me your address and I'll send you a trila size free.