You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 pm 

My extended family is trying to put together a brunch buffet and my son has a peanut and treenut allergy.

We routinely have been going to the Rideau Carleton raceway and NOT bringing my son with us.Usually i end up going myself as my wife does not feel comfortable with the restaurant due to the comments made by the head chef (he didnt really seem to care).

I want to suggest somewhere else but my research on the web is growing thin.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a gorup of 20 people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:00 pm 

i know that the Hertiage inn in carelton place does a huuuugeee sunday buffet i'm not sure what exactly is on it, but the owner is pretty reasonable if you want to give them a look and see (i know their desserts have nuts) here is their website;

http://www.thecarletonheritageinn.ca/contact.aro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:47 am 

Our support group has an informal list of restaurants with comments (good and bad). If you want to send me your email address by PM I will email it to you.

Not sure if any of the restos have buffets, but you might find something of interest.

I know that Milestone's is quite allergy aware, and have heard particularly good things about one at Pinecrest. Apparently they have a weekend brunch (not sure that it's a buffet though):

http://www.milestonesrestaurants.com/pinecrest.html

Of course, if you are willing to travel, there is the Chateau Montebello, which has been trained by the AQAA (Quebec Food Allergy Assocation) with regards to allergy awareness and food preparation... but that's a bit of a hike.

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:21 pm 

Thanks for the reply Karen and I got your email.
Great starting point and it looks like Milestones is a favoreite spot. I'll keep that in mind when I want to go out with my family.
I'll post back here once we ahve made a decision and with our final thougts on where we chose to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:20 pm 

I also really like Tucker's Marketplace. There's lots of choice, and every time I go the kitchen manager, Blake, will come out and explain all the options to me. If anything I'm interested in comes anywhere near something else I'm allergic to, he'll go in the back and make me a fresh plate. He remembers me when I come in, and even took the time to wish me a happy birthday when I mentioned it was coming up! Very nice people there.

Just fantastic service, I'd highly recommend it. I've been there with 10 people, and they have a massive Sunday brunch, very popular. Also, free meal on your birthday! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:03 pm 

Thank you again Lin.
The parking is a concern for my extended family of suburb dwellers. They are scaredy-cats of the downtown core, while I love it.
I will use it as a last resort if the other place falls through. I look forward to trying that spot with my family though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:15 pm 

Brunch comlpete.

We went to the Pepper Garden on Montreal Road near Aviation Pkwy.

It went well, they accomodated our group of 20 people and 2 small children, one of which was my son with the peanut/nut allergy.

everything was good except they could not guarantee the buns/coissants and the desert table.
nothing happend to my son but we overlooked one thing that we wont overlook again, and that was at the dessert table the cakes were in a ring aroung the fruit platter with tongs.
my wife was careful to grab fruit from the center of the pile, but the overlook happened when we used the tongs, we should have ither asked for new clean tongs or used our forks.

all-in-all it was good for the buffet, a good selection of food, though not tons to choose from. this is good since it is sometimes hard to decide what to have when there is too much choice. hehe

would i go back? yes. and I would recommend.
We were a bit in doubt when we spoke to the chef (who i think was not the standard dinner chef) and his accent was a bit thick so it was difficult to understand what he was saying sometimes.

I would rate this a 7/10 for nut-free-friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear that everything went well. Thanks for the report.

Good point about the cakes around the fruit and the tongs.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb