You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

This question was posed to me today at work. I am now the resident "allergy expert". I told her that I would ask here.
Her husband is quite allergic to cats and gets an asthmatic type reaction. Her son really wants a ferret. Apparently, ferrets are related to skunks so...is a ferret a suitable pet for a cat allergic person?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:24 am 

http://www.ferrets.org/Ferrets_As_Pets.htm

They are a weasel. They should be okay for a cat allergy sufferer provided the person is NOT allergic to ferrets. perhaps they could have an allergy test for ferrets before adopting one? Maybe they could take a hair sample to an allergist...I'm sure no test exists for ferrets.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:02 pm 

how old is this person's son? because ferrets are really hard to properly care for! my uncle had one when he was in his mid twenties, and it was a lot of work, he had to clean it almost every day, clean out it's ears, eyes, and as much as they are cute they always let off a smell similar to urine (and this one was VERY well taken care of) imagine what one that isn't taken care of properly would smell like

food for thought even it is allergy friendly is it a good choice as a pet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:44 pm 

No ferrets here, but the kiddos, allergic to cats, were fine with a hamster. My DD was slightly allergic to it, but if she washed her hand after handling it, she was fine and didn't need any medication (in fact she didn't even need a single kleenex!)

However, Dad, who's not allergic to cats, couldn't handle the hamster!

Honestly, animal allergies are not related. You can't tell if you're going to be allergic to one animal just because you're allergic to another one.

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

The boy who wants the ferret is 15 and impatient. The reluctant father is probaby about 45-50 and it is he who has the cat allergy. He tried to go to the pet store to try handeling a ferret but they were all asleep at the time. Regardless he started to react to the cats in the store.
I suggested that the son handle a ferret and the father wear the son's t-shirt afterward.
I will pass on all comments. Thanks guys!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:13 pm 

realize the previous post is a bit old but if anyone's interested, we have Skinny Pigs....hairless Guinea Pigs. :D Cutest things! Way more personality than hamsters who sleep all day....they are also very social as they like to be held to keep warm - may nibble your fingers but usually give you kisses (lick your fingers) instead. Skinny Pigs may have a bit of hair on their ankles and/or noses. I react a bit to that if they rub on my chin but its mild...am allergic to cats. Our first piggy, Gus was a cutey - used to follow us around the living room floor - loved to chew (got my cell phone cord and husband's slippers :? ) but unfortunately died of an infection at 2yrs old. :cry: Our new babies (yes, we got two so they'd keep each other company) are Toby and Harris. Toby, I'm sure, is an ADHD Piggy if I ever saw one!!! can't sit still on your lap...can't stay quiet either when being held - but likes to sit on my shoulder....nuzzles my face if I'm ignoring him...has separation issues with his brother Harris....has to know where he is and what he's doing! Harris is the quiet one....loves to curl up in a blanket on your lap....wishes Toby would get lost!!! or at least stay out of his face....very comical to watch them together...great pets....but you need a vet who deals with rodents.