You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy Testing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:21 pm 

Do you have your child tested annually for dairy and/or egg allergy? We have had our daughter tested every year since she was a baby in the hopes that she will outgrow these allergies. I am wondering if it would be better to wait a couple of years as she is 6 and absolutely detests having the scratch test done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:05 pm 

Our 3.5 yr old son's allergist has opted to test our son every year for allergy to egg. Our son has multiple food allergies, therefore, testing for the other foods is conducted on an alternating schedule. List A foods are tested in 2004, List B foods are tested in 2005, and so on. Egg is the only food tested every year in hopes that he will have outgrown this allergy (he still regsiters in the 4+++ for allergy to egg, so it could be awhile (if ever) that he outgrows it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:55 am 
Site Admin

I asked our Allergist what was the point. I had heard that they don't concider a negative reaction (not allergic) to be true unti the child was 5. That may have been old information if it was ever true at all. (Boy, you realy do have to check your facts) He tod me that he woud redo the test a few times followed by the blood test (RAST?). If all of that showed no allergy we could start to talk about a food challenge in a hospital setting. I don't know if we would go ahead with the challenge at this young age. Part of me wants her to make the choice (after reading about faied challenges) and she is just too young to make those types of choices.
Did I even answer tha question?
Lol, I've got to stop and have more coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:04 am 

Our allergist only skin-tested once, when my son was 3. He has conducted a RAST the past 3 years, and each year it has been >100 for milk. He used to do RAST for tree nuts as well, but for some reason he didn't this year (he's very allergic to tree nuts as well).

After the most recent RAST, he told us there was no point in us coming back until my son was about 12. He's only 5 now. He said he'd never seen a child with this kind of RAST to milk, and that it was unlikely he would outgrow it. So, we are just to continue on as we are now - strict avoidance of all dairy, and minimize (eliminate) eating at restaurants or eating food that we haven't prepared for him ourselves. He had an anaphylactic reaction in June after having a few bites of a hot-dog at Spruce Meadows (equestrian facility). We had checked the ingredients, so we'll never know what was the contaminant.