Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Can't figure it out :(
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:28 pm 

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can identify with my problem.

My tongue and throat gets "sore" after eating, and pretty much anything now. It started over 2 weeks ago when I ate some very strong cheese that "bit" my tongue so-to-speak and ever since then I'm sensitive to most foods. I get a sore throat and the upper back of the roof of my mouth feels dry and rough although the Dr. checked me out and said I "LOOK" o.k.

He ruled out virus and infection and thrush and anything obvious.

He thought it wasn't an "allergy" but more-so a hyper-sensitivity brought on by ???

Prior to this I haven't been able to eat any raw fruits, raw vegetables and anything vinegar or acidy.

I've been eating very bland and boring foods like beans and rice and am getting digestive problems because of the lack of balance in my diet.

I seem to be sensitive or ?allergic? to almost everything!!!!!!!

I'm on a waiting list for an allergist.....4 months!!!!!!! so I'm on my own to figure this all out!

Any ideas would sure be appreciated!

Thanks,
xo Chrys. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:13 pm 

I did that and ended up I was allergic to rice. I would suggest you cut grains and nuts. Maybe a peice of chicken r meat with clerey and a apple. I know that sounds harsh but it worked for me to only intake organic and nothing canned and nothing processed.

Oh just reread your post. I started taking Spirolina and my stomach calmed down. Its a food supliment.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Have a look at this article - http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=37
about one woman's discovery of having Oral Allergy Syndrome. Has anyone spoken to you about that possibility?

Hers is an extreme level of OAS, most people with the condition don't anaphylax, but they almost always talk about having itchiness in and around the mouth.

Also, re diet - Dr. Janice Joneja (dieittian and immunologist) has done some great work on allergy diets. Check out her books at Amazon.com or .ca

But don't go too far with self-diagnosis. You'll want an allergist's testing / point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:15 am 

Let me start with the obligatory... I am not a doctor and this is only my opinion, based on my experience. :D

What you're describing sounds like oral hives, which are an allergic reaction. Mine started with a prescription NSAID and when I kept taking Ibuprofen, I continued to have a raw tongue and roof of my mouth, until I realized I had become allergic to that, too. Now, I have food allergies that do the same thing.

You should see a good allergist, specifically for food allergies, and at least find out if that's part of the problem. Review any and all medications you may be taking, including natural supplements, too. There is no test for allergy to medication, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Post subject: Eosinophilic Esophagitis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 am 

My problem isn't quite the same as yours, but I thought it might be related in some way. I have what is called, "Eosinophilic Esophagitis," which is characterized by a difficulty in swallowing. It feels as if my esophagus is closing up and the food is getting stuck at the base of my throat. If I try to lay down while that is going on, it feels as if everything is backing up. It is very uncomfortable, and I had no idea what was going on. I used to have Kaiser (an HMO), which is next to useless for this type of thing. They told me it was "globus hystericus," which is that "lump in the throat" sensation you get when you're about to cry. In other words, it's all in my head. Then, after my husband started working at a different company, and we got REAL insurance, I decided to try again. My doctor referred me to a GI doctor, who did an endoscopy and found that my esophagus had ridges on it where it should have been completely smooth. So he took a couple of biopsies and discovered a high eosinophil count, which is apparently a response to some sort of allergens. That doctor then referred me to an allergist, and it was determined that I was sensitive to 17 different foods. However, even after I had eliminated those foods, I still had the dysphagia. So I eliminated the Melaleuca vitamiins I had been taking, and voila! No more dysphagia!

I also recall that when my oldest son was a child, his tongue would get very sore after eating pineapple. As long as he stayed away from pineapple, he was okay. Of course, we had Kaiser back then, so they were no help at all in that instance, either.