You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hall of Fame: Pita Break
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:16 pm 

OK - now that I am over my tears I want to give credit where it is due.

A girlfriend from Ottawa had emailed me to mention the "may contain sesame" warning newly adorning Pita Break's pitas. :shock: This is our only store bought bread product with our allergen mix (if you know of any that have no risk for egg, sesame, dairy, soy & peanut let me know!)

I immediately called them and spoke to 3 people including one of the founding brothers. They have pre-labelled the packages as they will be introducing an additional line compromising their ability to ensure no contamination. They have also set up a situation where I am going to be alerted once the risk is real (when the line is about to become operational) and are going to let me pre-order pita to freeze in advance.

I am DEVASTATED at losing this daily (and yummy) staple of our daughter's but am so impressed by their sensitivity and customer service. If it is a safe product for you, I'd encourage you to buy from them. I'd also encourage the "sesame challenged" people to log a call with them - I understand that they are hoping to move to a new facility in the future (possibly within a year) and I would love them to hear our voice and take any reasonable steps to plan to provide a safe product again in the future...[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:44 pm 

We love Pita Break too. Although we do not deal with sesame there is a sesame allergic child in DD's class so I have been sending it as a snack. Thanks for the heads up.