You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: benadryl ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 pm 

In my first post to the board, I mentioned that we have used Benadryl in the past for my son's reactions (which have been either hives around the mouth, or redness & puffiness around the mouth). The benadryl has always seemed to work. My allergist's guidelines basically have been to give the epi if there's a problem with breathing or cardio, or if 2 body systems are invovled (ie. hives plus something else).

I notice on another post (having made use of the search function!) that gwentheeditor posted this link https://www.epipen.ca/EN/signandsymptoms.html which brings you to the epipen site to see a presentation. There, the doctor basically says not to bother with benadryl at all - even if the reaction is only hives, progress straight to the epipen.

I guess I am nervous of using the epipen, etc. and it seems extreme if the symptoms don't appear to be that bad ... BUT my son's life is first and foremost ... after seeing this I would be much more likley to just give him the epi and go from there. At our next apt I'll have to ask the allergist about this advice, if hers has changed or not and why. I will also need to change the plan of approach filed with my son's daycare, etc.

:( This is one of those times when I can't but be grateful for the knowledge you have shared, and yet I have tears in my eyes and fear gripping my heart ...

Andie

Post subject: Using the epipen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:12 am 

Hi,
I know it is hard to think of actually using it. I felt the same way. Unfortunately, we had to discover Lauren had lots of other allergies the hard way and have had to give it to her several times. The allergist never told us to use Benadryl but didn't explain very well what to do. We were watching for breathing issues before giving the epi-pen. The ER doctors made it clear that that could be too late - give it to her at the first signs of anaphylaxis. Subsequently Lauren actually ate a peanut - long story - and had a huge reaction - I understood much better then how fast and how extreme it could be.
Remember that we all find it hard.
Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 pm 

A website that you can share with your allergist is Allergy Safe Communities, in particular the Key Recommendations. The first two are very important:

Quote:
1. Epinephrine is the first line medication that should be used in the emergency management of a person having a potentially life-threatening allergic reaction.

2. Antihistamines and asthma medications must not be used as first line treatment for an anaphylactic reaction.

The information and most of the resources on the Allergy Safe Communities website are taken from Anaphylaxis in Schools & Other Settings, the national anaphylaxis guidelines that were developed by the Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (CSACI) in collaboration with patient allergy associations and allied healthcare professionals.

Both the paper version of the guidelines and the website are excellent resources. Your allergist should have heard of them, but in case she hasn't, it's worth mentioning.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:54 pm 

Thanks for sharing your points, Karen & Kim. I am always trying to walk the line between doing what must be done to keep us as safe as possible, yet not going totally overboard and obsessive and living in a bubble. (I tend to be pretty obsessive so it would be easy for me to fall into the latter category).

I am definitely going to review w/ my allergist when next we see her (in June), but until then I am leaning towards using these more stringent guidelines. The key now is to convince my hubby ... we haven't had any really scary reactions (thank goodness, and I hope we never do). I understnad that past history can't be used to predict what the next reaction might look like, in any way - signs, severity, etc. So I do "get" that hives, our usual symptom, still indicates a full-body reaction that could get serious fast. My husband is more not wanting to go overboard about it. So, I'll have to get to work on him, and change the guidelines I"ve given at my son's daycare.

I was thinking of trying the paper cup demo - I'm sure I read about it here somewhere - to show my son what the epi would be like if he has to receive it. Do you think this would be a good idea or would it make him more scared to tell me if he's feeling funny? It's just, I'd think it would be pretty terrifying to not know what to expect if it must be administered in a crisis. On the other hand, we may not need to administer it until he is better able to understand (he's 3.5 yo now). I want to prepare him but not to scare him.

I've been talking to him lately about how we manage risk ... we look both ways before we cross a street, we wear seatbelts in the car, etc. I haven't really drawn the parallel to his food allergy yet but I know the moment will come - hopefully I can present it as, this is just another thing that could potentially be dangerous, and here's how we keep you safe & you keep yourself safe.

Any thoughts?

Andie