Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mustard and Heinz Katcup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:30 am 

Hi,

Just popping in, my DD 2.5 yrs is ANA to Mustard, and we are now living in the USA. I can tell you that Heize Katcup is safe, as well as KFC Org. Chicken (in CDN) in the US Extra Crispy is safe (done in a different fryer). For sliced meats - Pillars is great - they sent me a massive list of foods we can have/not have.

You guys might want to wonder over to www.kidswithfoodallergies.org - they have a very active mustard allergic section.

BUT its an American site, so some of the products are not good for us. Oh, and I found a safe hot dog to.. I have that listed.. I will pop back in a few days to see if anyone wants it.

Taylor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:36 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Taylor!

As you say, your lists are for USA but they show that there are foods out there and give us a point in the right direction.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:37 am 

a yes, but I still have my Canada Lists! I alwaysed updated them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Great! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:51 pm 

Hi
I found it interesting to see that there are other people out there having trouble with mustard. I always thought my son's mustard allergy was very strange.

He has been severely allergic to dairy, eggs and peanuts(never an oral challenge only assuming because of testing) since he was under 1. When he was under 3 he also had trouble with mustard and kiwi. He would get hives, even from small amounts in BBQ sauces. Just after his 3rd birthday he tested as only a mild positive and we challenged him. He had no reaction.
He has now been eating things with mustard and kiwi for 6 years, although he hates the taste of plain mustard.

We've had our son tested yearly for all his allergies and sadly nothing else has been outgrown. I've been cautious about him eating seeds but he's been fine with all sesame, pumpkin, sunflower. Who knows what the future holds. For certain we know he is still allergic to dairy and eggs and so that is where most of our focus stays.

Best of luck
Elaine
Son, 9, Milk egg nut allergies and asthma
Daughter, 4, no allergies

4 Year old girl - No food allergies, no asthma, reacts strongly to some bug bites

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am 

Just yesterday my daughter (21 months) reacted strongly to mustard on a skin test... We (and the allergist) think this is what triggered her 2nd ana reaction back in February (1st was to dairy)...One more thing on the list! :(

It's really weird because she's had ham which was cooked in a pressure cooker with some mustard and did fine, but that one time she had straight mustard on roastbeef and reacted... ???

Now we just avoid it completely...

I'm also trying to avoid other seeds, except for sunflower oil, which she's been fine with for a while... Anything else I should avoid (aside from anything that says 'seasonings', 'spices' or 'flavor'?

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm 

Hello group!

After a lifetime of tummy-and-more issues and a year of Fibromyalgia-like-pain, I've been diagnosed with food allergies. If it were only tree nuts, I could live with that. Here in the US, manufacturers are great about listing nut allergens in their products. Mustard is an entirely different matter.

I am so frustrated by not knowing what to look for, in the foods I buy. I was looking for anything that said "Mustard." A friend mentioned that Rapeseed is related to mustard along with other plants. Well, what other plants? I searched for hours online trying to find one webpage that could give me that answer. Finally, MSN Encarta had it and boy was I surprised to see things like Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, and Cauliflower on the list!

I had one bite of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, today, and started having a reaction within an hour (I tend to get oral hives that start on my tongue). I looked at the peanut butter and it's made with Rapeseed Oil! AAAGH! I downed some Benadryl. Then I read that Canola Oil is made with Rapeseed Oil. AAAGH again! That's the only oil we have in our kitchen!

I have not eaten in a restaurant, since being diagnosed with these allergies. They came on quite suddenly, after I reacted to a prescription NSAID I took for my muscle/joint pain. After that, I was suddenly allergic to Ibuprofen, after 20 years. Now this. I'm also trying to eat a low-salicylate diet, thinking the salicylates in the meds and in food might be related and might be what's making me sick.

So, that's my story. I'm just here to learn and vent and to share what I know. I carry an Epi-Pen with me, just in case my next reaction is much more than oral hives.

Thanks for being here.

Joyce in CO
a/ki/a RadioBabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Mustard allergy becoming a priority allergen in Canada.

Posted under Allergies in the News: http://tinyurl.com/ktzzax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:48 pm 

Wow, that's great news! I had no idea there were that many Canadians suffering from mustard allergy - enough to make it to the priority allergen list! This will certainly make life easier in trying to determine if "spice" includes mustard. It is very challenging dealing with non-priority allergens, so I am pleased to see this will be taking effect. I wonder how long it will take to phase in this change?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:28 pm 

Helen wrote:
Hi Julie,
One of my sisters has a mustard seed allergy. I don't think this is a good idea, but she usually puts a microscopic dot of mustard on each end of her hotdog--that's as much as she can tolerate. She uses so little mustard I don't even know how she can taste it! She's anaphylactic to nuts, fish, shellfish, and egg and has a host of other allergies as well as eczema and asthma. One of her rather severe allergies is to dill weed, which I believe (but don't quote me on this because I'm not sure if this is true) is related to mustard seed (?) As well, she has a serious sesame allergy. She had eaten sesame seeds in small quantities on buns before, but reacted to sesame snaps.

I know this for a fact, as I'm allergic, and am posting this despite the age of this thread because it might prove useful to others.

Dill is actually apart of the Parsley family. Mustard Seed is part of a huge family, called the Mustard family. This family includes Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Canola (rapeseed), Cauliflower, Celery Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Collard, Colza Shoots, Kale, Kohlrabi, Kraut, Horseradish, Mustard, Mustard Greens, Radish, Rutabaga, Turnips, Watercress. I can't eat any of these things. :rofl:

I did find one person who can't have mustard seeds, but can tolerate a tiny amount of cumin or corriander seeds, even though that person is allergic to most seeds (all vegetables must be deseeded, can't have fruit, and other spices have to be green herbs.)

I hope this proves helpful to you and to others, this late stage in the game.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 pm 

I'm bumping the mustard seed allergy topic as I'm now seeing mustard appearing on labels. When I first heard that Health Canada had deemed mustard to be a priority allergen, we had heard it would take a couple of years to phase in the requirement for labeling. Well, it's been about 2 years, and sure enough, I'm starting to see mustard on the odd label. This will be very helpful for those dealing with mustard allergy.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 am 

RadioBabe wrote:
Hello group!

I have not eaten in a restaurant, since being diagnosed with these allergies. They came on quite suddenly, after I reacted to a prescription NSAID I took for my muscle/joint pain. After that, I was suddenly allergic to Ibuprofen, after 20 years. Now this. I'm also trying to eat a low-salicylate diet, thinking the salicylates in the meds and in food might be related and might be what's making me sick.

So, that's my story. I'm just here to learn and vent and to share what I know. I carry an Epi-Pen with me, just in case my next reaction is much more than oral hives.

Thanks for being here.[/size]

I seriously believe that you are allergic to the entire Mustard and Cabbage family like I am. I don't react to canola oil yet, but I avoid it anyways as I don't know when it will turn anaphylactic as I react to just the smell of Horseradish and wasabi. Radish I have to injest. Mustard always made me feel off.

Just in case someone needs this info, this is the entire Mustard Family list:
Mustard: Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Canola (rapeseed), Cauliflower, Celery Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Collard, Colza Shoots, Kale, Kohlrabi, Kraut, Horseradish, Mustard, Mustard Greens, Radish, Rutabaga, Turnips, Watercress.

Because of all the things I react too, I have to make everything from scratch. :happydance :P I've found that Canolo Oil is in everything. I think I did find a Margarine that is Canola oil free.
"Bestlife" INGREDIENTS:

WATER, NATURAL OIL BLEND (SOYBEAN AND PALM FRUIT OILS), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% SALT, PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONOGLYCERIDES OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, SORBITAN ESTER OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, DL-a-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), BETA CAROTENE COLOR, VITAMIN D3, LACTIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA TO PROTECT FRESHNESS.

With Olive Oil: INGREDIENTS:

WATER, NATURAL OIL BLEND (SOYBEAN AND PALM FRUIT AND EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OILS), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% SALT, PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONOGLYCERIDES OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, SORBITAN ESTER OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, DL-a-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), BETA CAROTENE COLOR, VITAMIN D3, LACTIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA TO PROTECT FRESHNESS

Their Spray DOES contain Sweet cream Buttermilk, but no Canola Oil.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 am 

By the way, psyllium is apart of the Plaintain family, which also includes Banana. I can't have these either.