You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:56 pm 

Wondering if anyone has had experience with BioEnergetic Intolerance Elimination. I attended a seminar last night to learn more about this. The leader, a Nutritional Consultant & Holistic Allergist, provides such services as Nutritional Assessment, Detoxification, Allergy Symptom Elimination, etc.

BIE -"When this non-invasive and painless procedure is complete, the body will no longer see the allergen or intolerance as a threat when exposed to it, therefore desists in producing any adverse reaction."

A "cure" for allergies!! This sounds too good to be true! :D

Please see website (testimonials are especially unbelievable!).

www.healingnutrition.ca

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to say, but what sounds too good to be true is too good to be true.

If curing allergy was this simple, we'd all be cured by now. Most allergists would tell you to stay away from such treatments.

Read the debunking of the treatments referred to:

Applied Kinesiology: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ts/ak.html

Iridology: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... ology.html

Post subject: BIE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm 
I have gotten minor allergies (sensitivity to wheat,salmon,quinoa,soy) removed through this treatment - and done indepth research because I was so skeptical - - my bie practitioner originally took the course because of her own skepticism and curiousity.

BIE is essentially the same as NAET and Bioset but with permanent results

I am a firm scientific mind - give me proof! well when my Brother in law's lifelong severe intolerance to dairy was permanently removed - I became curious . . and my husband and I flew out to get treatment as well - - - like his brother - he had his dairy allergy removed.

It works together with the ancient art of acupressure - and introducing electric currents through particular points while you are holding vials of the offending item - basically "rewiring" your bodies electric currents to accept and recognise the offending item.

I even had depression and anxiety removed - - you can call me a quack but I sure am happier now!!

I am now looking at taking the course to be a certified practioner . . .. . . . . to help my family and friends . . and possibly others!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Opilops,

I could perhaps understand the temptation to experiment if you're only talking about intolerance (even severe intolerance), but as one who has anaphylaxed 3 times due to allergies, I'm holding out for science and a lot better evidence of how exactly a potential allergic "cure" would work in the body.

And if had a child at risk of ana., I defintely would be even more cautious than I am with myself.

Science is actually making strides (finally). I'm heartened by Dr. Vadas's recent study on platelet-activating factor, and enzymes that may be used in a drug to risk anaphylaxis. We'll have a story on that in the Spring issue of Allergic Living. Meantime, you can see the bare bones of the research in this report: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... /20080104/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:49 pm 

Hi everyone,

I recently talked to someone whose spouse was treated using BIE therapy with fantastic success (he is now finally eating foods he has had to avoid since his childhood). Experiencing the success first hand, the parents are now in the process of treating their peanut allergic child (also ana.).

As parents/caregivers of ana. kids, we are vigilant and do whatever we can in our power to prevent our children from being exposed to allergens - or anything, for that matter - that would cause our children harm.

I doubt there is a parent out there who would try an allergy elimination treatment (allopathic or naturopathic) and then, once given a 'green light', immediately bathe their child in the offending allergen. It's fair to say that we'd continue our due diligence. I think all of us who deal with anaphylactic reactions have enough of a clue not to put ourselves or our loved ones at a premeditated risk, given that we even prepare for accidental ones.

How do you skeptics :wink: feel about this scenario? Someone goes through an alternative treatment. Once that practitioner has 'cleared' the allergy, the person meets with their allopathic allergist to redo tests (RAST, skin prick etc), compares values, and THEN proceeds (or not) with actual food challenges using the allergists' protocols? Just a thought ...

Personally, if BIE (or any other treatment) made it possible for my cutie to just be AROUND people/things who/that have been exposed to his allergens, to me, it would be a successful treatment. (I often daydream of what it would be like if he could finally be out in the community, with no fears of him having reactions from accidental falls, touching playground equipment, hugging other children, opening a door, pressing an elevator button etc. etc. etc. ... and I have faith that one day it will happen for him) :D

The worse thing that can happen is that you lose some money and life goes on as it has been. You stay positive and focus on the beautiful things in your life... until it's time to safely try a new method. :)

Post subject: BIE
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:53 pm 

I too was intrigued enough by this treatment that I had to give it a try. I suffer from seasonal allergies, and was fed up with popping antihistamines for 6 months out of every year. I went for my 1st treatment and some improvements were evident immediately. My sinuses, which had felt stuffed up for several days) started clearing up. Later that evening, I started showing typical seasonal allergy symptoms - as I was warned would happen. I had a fitful night but when I woke up the next morning my sinuses were clear. I could breathe with BOTH nostrils. I haven't had that feeling for the longest time! After almost 4 days, some of that stuffy feeling has returned. But I have not taken a single antihistamine. I will keep you posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:35 am 
Site Admin

I strongly suggest to readers that they use the internet to research allergies and how to manage them but to read all websites with a critical eye. Anyone can post anything with little repercussions. It is up to you to determine what is best for you. I would also suggest you check with your Dr before trying any treatments traditional or otherwise.

John Hopkins University has a great article on evaluating internet information:
http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp ... valuating/

Below is my personal opinion:

I have seasonal allergies. For 1 month I am constantly suffering from itchy, watery eyes, a drippy nose and an itchy mouth and tongue. I sneeze all of the time and while the allergy medication doesn't make me sleepy, I do feel like my head is in a fog.

As annoying as this may be, it is nothing compared to the severe food allergies that my daughter has. For her safety, life is a constant series of:
-researching companies GMP's (general manufacturing practices)
-reading labels
-calling companies to clarify
-ensuring no cross contamination
-ensuring auto-injectors are available and tracking expiry dates
-training care givers
-educating others
-conducting a constant risk analysis of daily activities and creating contingency plans

Due to her number of allergies it is not likely that she will out grow them and it is likely that she will develop more at any given time to some of the foods which we rely on now.

So, when I hear that there are new methods on the horizon that might just eliminate the risk of her experiencing anaphylaxis reactions do my ears prick up? You bet! There is nothing that I would want more than to remove life threatening risks, this is my secret wish on every falling star, penny toss and candle blow out.

Reprogramming her body at a cellular level through mild electrical impulses while she holds a glass vial containing an allergen? No, sorry...glad some people have been cured...personally, I’ll wait until the scientific community comes up with a way to stop the reaction at a cellular level by either inhibiting the bodies creation of IgE’s to a specific allergen, preventing the proteins from becoming attached to the IgE’s or preventing the mast cells exploding and releasing histamine into the body.

Until that time, I’ll stick to the tried and true epinephrine injections to manage reactions when all the careful planning doesn’t work.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:06 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:

Due to her number of allergies it is not likely that she will out grow them and it is likely that she will develop more at any given time to some of the foods which we rely on now.

Hi Susan,

After reading your post, I'm kind of panicking a little ... my son has too anaphylactic reactions to way too many foods. We have but a handful of safe foods that we eat and we have a very stress/anxiety free relationship with these foods. Did I understand your quote correctly ... is it likely that he will develop more allergies at any given time to some foods which we too rely on now? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Well I didn't mean to frighten you and each of us is different but for us, we have found that our daughter has developed more allergies in the past year and a half.

Last year she developed allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. More recently she developed allergies to most bean and peas. We were advised not to introduce any new beans/peas to her but to continue to offer those which she tolerates.
Luckily she still tolerates soy as well as green beans.

I read an article last month about those with peanut allergies developing soy allergies as they are both legumes. (I will find the article tomorrow)

I am not saying that this is 100% going to happen, but there is a chance. Perhaps likely was too strong. I watch carefully for any reaction. We still haven't introduced shellfish. I can't see the need to.

I am not optimistic that she will outgrow any allergies. It would be wonderful but as each year goes by the likelyhood is less and as I have said she seems to be developing more.

What is best for your son is to develop a relationship with a professional whom you feel confident and who has a good understanding of food allergies. Most allergists do not recommend restricting the diet any more than is necessary to avoid reactions. An already restricted diet is difficult enough to balance all the nutritional needs.

I will find the article tomorrow and post the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Admin

OK the article wasn't about specifically developing that allergy but did indicate that there is a risk of developing it.

Quote:
In some cases, people who are allergic to wheat, beans (legumes), milk or other foods can have an allergic reaction to soy.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/soy-al ... DSECTION=1

The point I was trying to make is that there is a lot of information out there that is confusing and not always accurate. We need to read with a critical eye and keep our focus on the goal.

My goal is to raise my daughter to be a happy, healthy individual who views obsticles as challenges and growth opportunities.

Allergies don't define her, but they have helped her to develop many qualities;
the ability to delay gratification
empathy for others
problem solving
planning
resistance to peer pressure
communication skills
just to name a few

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:37 am 
Hi

after having my own little munchkin last year, I focused and went after my dream job requirements, true healing and making a difference in many lives and BIE has given me that and more. I have my Holistic Allergist Certification and want to keep those interested in this process updated with my own experiences as a disbeliever turned into a BIE healer.

I am currently working on friends and Family, I have two anaphylactic clients (peanuts and shellfish) and an entire family of celiacs, a friend with Multiple Scelrosis, kids with multiple allergies, a severe onion allergy, seasonal/hay/pet and many more. And this is just my friends and family!!

so far my anaphylactic's have only had one treatment each (most need a maximum of four treatments) .

I wanted to make a quick mention that BIE was on the infamous Quackwatch (which none of us mind, this guy is great free advertising) but I cant find the article anymore.

all can say is do your own research, never fully give yourself (or your children) to anyone, research every piece of advice people give you! every drug they prescribe you and every therapy suggested.

one more thing, the institute requires all licensees of BIE to offer money back guarantees if you are unsatisfied. please take advantage of this. I have heard of no where else this is offered in the medical or holistic field.

I would also like to add that in Germany Iridologists are in hospitals, most useful when an unconscious patient is brought in, the iridologist can identify the source of the problem immediately. there are over 20,000 iridologists in the UK and Germany.

I also would like to add that during my internship, I worked on a nurse and a doctor, both of whom said they came in because their patients kept coming in and talking about their experiences.

Please, all I wish for everyone is to find a way to live as freely as possible. I know how debilitating allergies are and know that the worst thing out there is "false" hope and "too good to be true" but if you think that a process that is guaranteed is not worth trying, you should definately think about the money your sinking into drugs, and other reccomendations, and the "guarantees" that should be coming from these sources!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 am 

Hi ... we started NAET shortly after I heard about it here. Soon afterwards DS was off all asthma meds. for the first time since infancy. So far, even on our hottest, muggiest days this summer he has enjoyed a great relationship with the outdoors in complete bliss. People have noticed shiners disappearing and a radiance emerging from him that wasn't there before. We're beginning to see a shift in contact reactivity and are now very hopeful for a positive outcome. There is a specific protocol for treating anaphylactic allergies. It's very time consuming (in our case could take a year or so since we have so many that we're dealing with) and requires a lot of dedication. Most people expect miracles and give up too soon. Will keep you posted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

Iridology is a pile of bunk.

I know someone who was ripped off for thousands of dollars with a so-called practitioner of this "faith", which has no basis in evidence-based science.

Believe what you like, just please don't promote it here. We're set up for people to discuss allergic concerns, legitimate treatments, etc. If you want to discuss treatments such as iridology, take it to one of the multitude of sites where these views are encouraged.

I'm a complete believer in free speech. But I don't have time to spend on continuously debunking medical claims that can't be substantiated in science. And if Susan the moderator and I don't, that information might lead someone with life-threatening allergies down a dangerous path.

Thanks, Gwen
Site Admin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 pm 

Gwen, a nationally renowned allergist - "science-based" and "legitimate" - told me she didn't know any adults who are allergic to soy, meaning my kid wouldn't have that issue into adulthood. But - and please correct me if I'm wrong - you are still allergic to soy, aren't you? Suffice it to say there are good and bad practitioners in all fields - allopathic and naturopathic.

I understand your fears around people trying things you don't think they should. But those of us who try things you don't agree with aren't as stupid as you might think we are. If our vigilance has kept ourselves/our children alive this long, we wouldn't let an iridologist, for example, (or any other practitioner that you don't deem legitimate) harm us/our children. Most of us read labels 3x and we still do our own research when coming across products that claim to be free of our allergens. Most of us in the allergy community take little for granted when it comes to safety. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to take on the responsibility of "continuously debunking medical claims that can't be substantiated in science". IMHO, it would be beneficial for the forum if you trust people a little more and know that nobody will hold you responsible for anything we learn about on this forum or any other.

One of the reasons I read this forum is that I get a chance to learn about things that I otherwise wouldn't have a chance to learn about. Some things work for me and others don't. If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't have heard about NAET. As I find most mainstream research biased towards its funders, I prefer to hear anecdotes from 'real' people, told in their own words. In our case, our son's improved health is all the proof I need to keep moving forward with NAET, homeopathy and other naturopathic modalities we've tried, and trumps any mainstream 'evidence' that would otherwise negate these alternative routes toward health and healing. Mightn't work for everyone and that's ok.

Personally, I'd like to thank everyone who is open enough to share stories that are outside of the box. You've all helped me help my son heal. It would be a shame if people felt judged and stopped voicing opinions that the Site Admin or other 'powers that be' on the forum don't agree with.

I hope I'm not offending you, Gwen. Again, I understand you care enough about your readers to not have them exposed to things that you feel might harm them. However, this is such an important forum to so many of us and I'd hate for conversations to get squashed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Do what you wish - I'm not trying to change your opinion or argue with you.

But for others considering alternatives approaches to anaphylaxis or asthma, I recommend that you first read the Australian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology's review of alternative allergy therapies:
http://www.allergy.org.au/pospapers/unorthodox.htm

It does a nice job of explaining what 'evidence-based' actually means, and laying out the issues.

As for alternative treatments, I'm not against them across the board. Acupuncture is great, quite relieving. Is it mystical and are my pathways being opened? Hard to say, but it does help blood flow to an injured shoulder.

However, when it comes to anaphylaxis, not a shoulder, I'm sticking to the tried, true, boring evidence of the mainstream. My basic point is that if it's life-threatening, I want the findings of the doctors with the big degrees, from the good universities.