You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:40 pm 

It is breaking my heart, but ds has really started abusing his nails recently. It's to the point of drawing blood, and one finger barely has a nail... when I saw that today, I had to leave the room to shed a few tears. Why is he doing this so much?

I had noticed him doing this previously, but it just seemed to be when he sucked his thumb (he sort of hooked his hands together and flicked one nail). Somehow it has gotten much worse.

When we asked the pediatrician last week about what we see as ds's generally anxious personality, the ped. just said let's see how he does once he hits preschool in the Fall. If we wait that long, he'll have no nails left...

I could go on about this, but just want to know if anyone else's child does this, and/or if anyone has suggestions on how to help him.

Thanks in advance,
Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like an anxious activity. The problem is the hang nails encourage mre picking and it becomes a habit.

If you have a safe vitamin e oil or even some polysporin type of product that you can massage into the cuticle before bed, this will help soften the cuticle and the rubbing is a change from the picking (they'll be too slippery to pick :wink: )

Good luck stopping the habit!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:58 pm 

Marla - I just saw this - my oldest has a similar problem (biting) and I agree that it is heartbreaking. He nibbles at his nails so much that half the pink is gone... He just cannot seem to stop when the white (at the top) is gone - he continues. I also find it very distressing. We tried a hypnotherapist and it seemed to work for a short while, but then he started up again.

I agree that it is likely part anxiety and part habit that is difficult to break. I know he seems to do it when watching tv (i.e. relatively relaxed) so I think it is not 100% anxiety. I am sort of in a wait-and-see mode right now. I used to ask him to stop so often that I'm sure I was contributing to his stress, partly. It's hard to know what is okay to leave (wait and see) and what you should jump on. And not a lot of people seem to find that it is a big deal, which I find strange!!

I guess I should investigate the anxiety books that Pam has mentioned elsewhere on the forum....

I don't have a lot of suggestions to offer, but I wanted you to know what you and your little guy are not alone.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:16 pm 

Hi Marla

Sorry to hear your little boy is bitting his nails so short, this must be painful for him. I am sure they are so short before he even knows it. Though I can only help you by telling you that I use to bite my nails to the bleeding point until I was a teen. I was told not to bite but nothing else, I think if I could have had my hands busy it would have helped. My nails would be bitten while I watched TV I never even knew I was doing it until it was too late. If you have seen those squishy balls that may keep his hands busy, kind of like contained putty. (I saw one the other day in a therapy/massage type store). There may also be some great kind of toys that keep the hands busy?? Now I was older when I stopped bitting my nails but the one thing I did was chew gum, you can't bite nails and gum at the same time!

Good luck I hope you find what works for you :)