You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:15 am 

Hi all -

As you know, the Canadian food labelling legislation that was supposed to be passed into law ages ago has stalled.

Five major Canadian organizations are working together to promote a letter-writing campaign to try to encourage the powers that be to get moving on this very important legislation.

The organizations are:
- Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Anaphylaxis Canada
- Canadian Celiac Association
- Allergy/Asthma Information Association
- Association québécoise des allergies alimentaires

Below are two letters that two of the organizations have sent to their membership asking for their support and efforts in this matter. The other organizations are sending out similar letters. Each includes a sample letter that you can use.

I have been asked to post them here as well to ask YOU to help! We already know how powerful we can be when we put our mind to it - so let's go for it!

The more voices that the Minister of Health hears, the better, and that especially include the voices of your children! I am going to write a letter from the OASG as well as from my family, not to mention The Epi-Men!

My oldest son is 8 and we are just starting to educate him on how to read labels. Imagine how much easier it would be for all of us if we were sure that the allergens were always clearly labelled!

Anaphylaxis Canada letter (2 pages):

PDF: http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/Downloads ... ing-ac.pdf

Canadian Celiac Association letter (2 pages):

PDF: http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/Downloads ... ng-CCA.pdf

Please take the time to write, and make sure you have your children send something too.

Thanks,

Karen & Gwen

Edited to clarify which organizations are involved in this campaign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Dietitian Rosie Schwartz has written an excellent article on the food labelling issue in today's National Post (Arts & Life section).

She's bang on about how slow this legislation has been in coming. Remember to write a letter (see above) if you haven't already. Those of us avoiding "natural flavours" and "hydrolyzed protein" would really thank you for your time.

The article starts:

Quote:
'Natural' can be fatal
Ottawa should force food companies to list allergens in their ingredients
Rosie Schwartz, National Post
Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Imagine not being allergic to apples but then having a serving of applesauce and experiencing a severe allergic reaction. That's what happened to Natalie Gordon, a Winnipeg researcher in human genetics, last December. The allergic reaction required a variety of treatments: high-dose steroids for 10 days and inhaled steroids, bronchodilators and antihistamines for six weeks. She missed four days of work and was ill right through the holiday season.

The rub is that Gordon isn't even allergic to apples. She has a life-threatening allergy to cherries. Just a small trace of cherry can prompt an anaphylactic reaction. The ingredients label listed "natural flavour," but unbeknown to Gordon, that included cherry.

See the rest at: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news ... 69b7d2a82a

Send your comments to Rosie's editor at:
prussell@nationalpost.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:41 pm 

Here is an excellent link to find the name and contact info of your member of Parliament. Just enter your postal code.

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compila ... x?Menu=HOC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:01 pm 

I will be sending my letters this week. I also had my son write one. I thought I was going to have to convince him to take the time to do it, as his friends were waiting for him to play outside. But when I explained why I wanted him to write a letter, he did it immediately. Even he can see how important labelling is.

I've typed out the allergy letter so if anyone wants a copy in Word, send me your email address in a private message and I'll email it to you. It will save you some time. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:16 am 

Storm wrote:
I've typed out the allergy letter so if anyone wants a copy in Word, send me your email address in a private message and I'll email it to you. It will save you some time. :D

Actually, Karen had a better idea... to post the letter here and then you can just cut and paste the text into whatever word processor you use. Thanks for the suggestion, Karen! :)

Here is the text:

*************************************************************************************

Your name
Address

Date

The Honourable Tony Clement
Minister of Health
Minister’s Office – Health Canada
Brooke Claxton Building, Tunney’s Pasture
Postal Locator: 0906C
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K9

Dear Mr. Clement,

I am writing to urge you to pass The Proposed Regulatory Amendments to Enhance the Labelling of Priority Allergens in Foods.

My child has a food allergy which is potentially life-threatening. I understand that Health Canada’s proposed amendments to Canada’s Food and Drug Regulations are designed to make allergen labeling on foods clearer and more complete.

There is no cure for food allergy. My child’s safety depends on the safety of the food he eats. We must choose our food very carefully, and rely on the government to ensure that the foods we buy in the grocery store list all of the priority allergens accurately on the labels.

This proposed legislation has been in development for more than seven years. It is time to make these amendments into the law. Please do not allow this to be delayed any longer.

Sincerely,

Your name

c.c. Mr. Morris Rosenberg, Deputy Minister of Health
(Your Member of Parliament)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Thanks and good letter, Storm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:05 pm 

Thanks Gwen. I didn't compose the letter...I just retyped the letter in the pdf file above. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

That's my retention skills at work. :roll:

I also believe in credit even when it's not due.

Excellent typing, Storm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:28 pm 

We sent our letters last week, and so did ds's maternal grandparents. They have already heard back from their local MP, Bill Blaikie. It did not appear to be a form letter, so that was nice.

We have yet to hear back on ours, but I was happy to hear that at least one of the letters has been read!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:58 pm 

It's very good/benefit for those who have food allergen. My son is going to 11, he has severe peanut/nut allergy, so I will strony suppor this and I will send letter too. Thank you for all your effort. Also I would say thank you to the lady who has provide a copy of the letter in the web, it save much of my time. Thanks.......!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Just re-raising - in case newer members didn't know about this letter campaign.

Keep 'em coming. You only have to read posts in this thread to realize how much we need this legislation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

And again. I remain hopeful that with enough letters, we can get on the political radar and get these regs through - finally!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:02 am 

The AQAA (Quebec) sent us a ready-made letter that we basically just had to sign and post. Easy enough, so I'm hoping a lot of people sent it in! I put mine in the mail the next day, customizing it a little so it's more personal. Anything I can do to make this labelling stuff easier to understand!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:26 am 

Storm wrote:
I will be sending my letters this week. I also had my son write one. I thought I was going to have to convince him to take the time to do it, as his friends were waiting for him to play outside. But when I explained why I wanted him to write a letter, he did it immediately. Even he can see how important labelling is.

Good news! We sent a copy of our letters to Anaphylaxis Canada and they contacted me a few months ago for authorization to publish my son's letter in the Kids' Newsletter. I've just found out it's now in circulation and my son's photo and letter are published. However, I'm in the UK and the people back home don't have access to a scanner to email it to me. So if I could ask someone here A HUGE FAVOUR and please scan the page where my son's handwritten letter appears and email it to me as a pdf or jpeg? I would be eternally grateful as I am very eager to see it! If anyone has access to the newsletter and can scan it for me, please send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.

My son is so pleased about this and I'm a proud mama! :D He asked me if his letter was going to change things... I told him every little bit helps and it's important to have a voice.

UPDATE: I now have a copy of the newsletter.

Last edited by Storm on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 am 
Site Admin

That's great!
Every little bit does help and it also helps him to see that he is capable of helping to bring about change.
I think that this is important to help our children feel confident and alleviate anxiety.
You have empowered him and you should be proud!
I don't get the newsletter, but I'm sure that someone will get a copy to you.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb