You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: carrying e-belts
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 pm 

My son was also four when he started carrying his own -never had a problem. He knows if he goes anywhere without us (school, playdates, birthday parties, etc.), he has to carry it - no negotiation. He also started wearing a medic-alert bracelet when he was 3 at preschool. I find if you wait too long (hearing this from other parents), they have a more difficult time adjusting to it.

My two cents :)

son - born 1998, allergy to peanut, nuts, sesame, shellfish and kiwi; a bunch of allergies to plants, animals, etc. and asthma
daughter - born 2003, no known allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:19 pm 

My son was 3.5 when he started wearing his. I realise this does seem very young, but he managed it very well. It actually really surprised my husband & I how easily he started wearing it - we were prepared for a fuss, but it never happened! We started him wearing it in the summer before school started, because we wanted to make sure he got used to it in our presence - not at school where the teachers would have that responsibility. By the time he arrived at school, he was completely comfortable wearing it, and the teachers felt better knowing he was wearing it. There were still 2 other Epipens at the school that could be readily accessed. At the principal's request, I began the school year with a short talk with all the children at the school about food allergies, followed by a video. All the children were aware of our son's Epibelt, and the fact that it is not a toy and should not be played with. In the 2.5 years our son has attended the school, there has never been a problem with the epipen and the Epibelt.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:30 am 
Site Admin

Our daughter had met an older girl at a FA Family Day event who was wearing an Epi-Pen belt. I think that she was impressed that she must have been impressed by this because she spoke about it that evening. I told her that as you get older you have more freedoms and that means you need to be more responsible. This is one way of being responsible.

She started by just wearing the belt to school (3 1/2) and now wears it whenever we go out. She sees it as a "big girl" thing.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:05 am 

My son has been wearing his Epi-pen since before 4 years old...at first we used the single ana-tote on an elastic band, but now we find that the E-belt is much more durable...and he likes the look of it.
It also hides easily under his shirts, the ana-tote was too bulky.

However, if my daughter had allergies, I do not think that she would have been wearing her Epi-pen at the same age. I think it depends upon the child's personality.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 pm 

Mountain Equipment Coop in Canada has a very inexpensive one , straight forward black , made of material similar to the multi tool pouches. I think it holds only 1 pen , fairly discrete.

http://search.mec.ca/?Ntt=epi+pen+&N=10

this link should show you the product.

RC Products EpiPen Case

'
Jen

Post subject: epipuppy
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 am 

Hi
My 8 yr old has worn her epi-pen since she started school. I think it is a necessity as they are frequently at the library or in the gym etc and I don't trust the teacher will remember to take it with her. In her classroom every year we have talked about food allergies, anaphylaxis and epi-pens. The kids are shown the epi-pen and the trainer and how it is used. They have never taken it out after that.
We started with cute kids fanny packs and she was ok with that. We also got the epi-puppy and that was ok. Now that she is 8 she uses the E-belt as it is less conspicuous. She also has sensitive skin but it doesn't seem to bother her much. It starts out outside her clothes and usually ends up under. She wears it in the house because she forgets to take it off so it couldn't be bothering her much.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:56 am 

When our son didn't want to carry his Epipen any longer, I designed a pattern for a pocket that we sew into the lower inseam of his jeans (at the cuff). He has been successfully carrying his Epipen that way for the past 10 years. He always has his Epipen with him. It is completely out of site and has never been in the way of his activites. It has been a huge relieve to us.