You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:50 am 

That is one reason I avoided Sparks and Brownies. With many food celebrations and camping trips I just realized that it would be a lot of work for us to join. With our daughter's asthma and environmental allergies, she might not be able to join the camping trips. I went all through the guiding program as a child but it is not really an option for our daughter.

We have chosen activities which require much less accommodation for allergies. This year we joined skating and music for young children. Her piano lessons actually require the participation of the parent so I can hang out with her and my presence is not an issue. All of the other mothers/fathers are there also. It is an excellent piano program. This summer we are going to join swimming and soccer. Both activities do not revolve around food. Sometimes snacks are brought for the team but she just brings her own snacks and I bring wipes for the rest of the team to clean their hands.

Good luck with the fly up.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I tried to research this prior to her joining and I was told that they have a lot of experience and that it wouldn't be a problem but...that has not been our experience.

Hubby took dtr to Sparks and left the fanny pack with her medications behind. Leader took the fanny pack home and waited for us to call. When it was noticed she said it was too late to pop by and pick it up (8:30 pm). Did I mention she's a nurse?

Last year, when camp weekend was offered and I called up it wass revealed that her allergens would be served at each meal. As the children eat communally, I did not feel that the risk was low enough to send her.

My intention was to expose her to group activities in a safe setting where she could develop some independance and become a little less clingy but if I have to become a group leader to ensure her safety...it defeats my purposes.

My time is valuable, between working full time, the forum here and the school Parent Council I have nothing else to give.

Next year I think we'll try something else. I have all summer to obsess.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Parenting
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 pm 

I am the mother of a 4 year old daughter who is allergic to peanuts and almonds.

My husband and I thought we were comfortable with the whole allergy thing...until we had to deal with an accidental exposure through baked goods. Her first reaction had been at 21 months of age, and we had successfully managed to avoid another one until 7 weeks ago.

It was a scary experience and while everything turned out to be okay, it taught us a number of lessons. We are now more comfortable knowing what to do and how to react to such a situation if it occurs again. We learned that we weren't as prepared as we need ed to be to handle such an emergency. We now know to review how to use the epipen regularly, and to make sure we are all clear on when to use it. Unfortunately, we also learned that the paramedics and ER doctors did not treat our daughter in the manner that the allergists recommend, and we felt we had to defend our actions (calling 911) to the paramedics.

After the reaction, my husband and I were left to re-evaluate how to make sure that we are careful that our daughter is safe, and make her aware of her allergies and the dangers, without her being too scared or overly pre-occupied with her allergy. One of the biggest challenges was making sure she still trusted us to keep her safe...since it was someone close to her who offered her something to eat that turned out not to be safe. She is definitely more aware of the fact that we are always reading labels before we give her food, and is less likley to whine and complain if we are out in public and refuse to buy ice cream or treats from concession booths. She is learning...and the hospital visit seemed to have an effect on her in that she understands that if she eats something that isn't safe..she could end up having to go back.

One of the steps that I took to alleviate my own concerns and boost my confidence dealing with this was to join Anaphylaxis Canada and the Ottawa Anaphylaxis Support Group. Since I have joined these two oragnaizations, I have gotten a wealth of material and anecdotes to read through that help put my situation into perspective. In the greater scheme of things, I would rather deal with a peanut/nut allergy than an egg or milk allergy.

The information on this site has also been invaluable and I am so glad to have found it. The whole peanut allergy thing has turned out to be a much bigger thing to deal with recently, because at the age of 4, we are now having to deal with school registrations, soccer snacks, birthday parties etc.

Anyway..I just wanted to say thanks...and as I encounter situations that I have to deal with for the first time, I am happy to know I can come here for suggestions and advice from people who deal with the same concerns and issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Melanie-Thanks for sharing your experience. It is hard when a reaction has occured but if you think of how many times since her diagnosis, that she has safely eaten I think you have done an amazing job!

This was a wake up call for your family and yes, it is not always bad when children realize that this is a serious condition.

As for the para-medics/doctors, you really do need to advocate for your child and sometimes that means demanding that your child get the attention they deserve. You have been given instructions from your allergist. That is your treatment plan. If you can get a copy of your allergy action plan this might be helpful to keep this with the Epi-Pens.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb