You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:16 pm 

Be very careful what sort of treats you give to your Dog.

MILK BONE big red box with a variety of 4 flavors, one is clearly marked 'Peanut Butter'. Dont let any one give your Dog a treat unless you question first. Read your Dog Food label and be careful for ingredient called 'peanut meal'. I have seen that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 am 

Because a dog can be allergic to peanut? Is that what you are pointing at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:18 am 

Thank s Monty;
I do not know for sure what Monty is saying. My understanding from having a dog years ago. Is that " you pet the dogs fur "and you can have a reaction to what it is eating. Some people react to the dogs dander.Also dogs are mammals and they can have allergies and other disorders that all mammals can have.

We did have dog until she passed on around 9 years old, had a stroke, but she was a great companion for me . We went for daily 1 hour walks in the area where I am to.

We had to make sure the food was okay for me and I did not have a reaction. I did all of her training and feeding etc and did not want to handle food I was allergic to like peanut butter in milk bone cookies. We also had a strict rule that no one feed her treats unless we checked out first, this was also due to people in the area we were to at one time poisioning dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:34 pm 

I'm carefull about cats as they eat fish (I don't let any of them come close to me as they lick themselves a little too much and because they eat fish, they would be full of fish on their fur :? )... I would exptect that if a dog eats peanuts and then licks you (they all do it!), then it would put you in contact with peanuts even if you don't feed the dog or touch its food... something to think about for those not allergic to the actual pet ;)

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:29 am 

Ahh!!! Of course. Gotcha! Never having owened a pet, because I'm allergic to cats and certain dogs, I never really though about it. But it makes a lot of sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:52 pm 

I'm allergic to every pet that exists (my worst is the fishes in the aqauriums... :oops: ), but I hate everyone else's pets... Once I wondered why I reacted so bad to petting most cats if it wasn't that high on my tests... I just didn't think of the food!!!! I could pet one of my friend's cat more than others because the cat didn't like fish :wink: .

Post subject: pet allergies
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:12 pm 

So what is the latest? My son tested positive to dogs at age 2 and on the recommendation of the allergist, we gave our dog away. Since then his reactions have gotten worse (from no reaction when we had the dog to now his face blows up when he contacts some dogs). Ironically 3 years after testing positive, his latest skin test says he's not allergic - 2 weeks after his negative skin test we were visiting people with a dog and sure enough - 2 days of benedryl later he finally looked normal again. The allergist say it could be 'breed specific'? I do actually believe the cat skin test as he doesn't have a problem being around cats (however, I now wonder if the first test was false positive and we had our cat put down because of it!!) At any rate does anyone have any experience with this 'breed specific' allergy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:23 pm 

I've never met a dog I wasn't allergic to, but I do tend to be more allergic to some types of dogs than others. My one aunt's 'hypoallergenic' (there's no such thing of course....but my aunt is convinced that hers is....some dogs have 'hair' rather than 'fur' and apparently some people can tolerate them better) really bothers me.....more than another aunt's yellow labs. When I was young I think my skin reaction was negative....now it is positive...but I've always been allergic in spite of the tests.

Post subject: pets
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:40 pm 

Mylene got it right. Sorry I was not more specific when I posted that subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:25 pm 

Actually a dog can be allergic to peanuts. A lot of studies done about allergies (particularily Xolair ) are done on dogs and mice allergic to peanuts.

I used to have a dog who occassionally would lick her skin to the point of sores. I know now that this can be a sign that they have hives and are having an allergic reaction. I wonder now if she was reacting to food we had given her ( we did feed her table scraps ). Also if your dog licks their feet a lot and chews at their paws, they may be having an allergic reaction.

Definitely allergies are NOT limited to humans.

We got rid of the dog when my oldest daughter was one. I thought she was allergic because when the dog licked her she would get really red. Looking back, maybe the dogs food had peanut in it.

My youngest daughter also became very red where she was licked by a dog. I assumed that she was also allergic to dogs...but dog food is full of chicken and beef, two of her allergens and maybe milk and eggs as well ( I guess milk bone would imply milk). Maybe it is not dogs after all.

Post subject: Dog food
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:49 pm 

My daughter had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter for the first time a few weeks ago. So we then went around the house to pitch anything that said "Contains" and "may contain". Our dog is on Hill's Prescription Diet food because she has bladder problems. On a whim, I emailed the company and got a reply telling me that the dry food (which we buy for her) is manufactured in a plant that handles peanut hulls. The canned version of the same food is manufactured in a different plant and is therefore safe, so we switched to the canned food. Who knew? The dog might have caused a reaction if she would have licked my daughter! So, yes, you have to be very careful around animals, especially other animals you don't know because you don't know what they are being fed!

I know there's a booth at our local farmer's market in the summer that sells homemade dog treats and I remember one of them being peanut butter flavoured! And people sometimes put peanut butter in this dog toy (I forget what it's called). Dogs love it because it's deep in the toy and they keep busy trying to get at it. So, you never know if you're going to come across a dog on the street that might have had peanut butter, or a cat who had tuna.

Food for thought, no pun intended!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:17 pm 

... and a dog who had fish :? ... one of my friend noticed a couple of minutes before I showed up at her house that the prescription food she had for her puppy was fish-based... she met me in the driveway so that I didn't come into the house...

Post subject: Re: Dog food
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:21 pm 

Nicole wrote:
And people sometimes put peanut butter in this dog toy (I forget what it's called). Dogs love it because it's deep in the toy and they keep busy trying to get at it.

Nicole -- it's called a Kong -- my inlaws got this toy for their dogs years ago (before my son was born) and they used to put peanut butter in the cavity of it to have the dogs licking at it for hours.... http://www.dogtoys.com/small25oz70g.html

Post subject: Kong
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:35 pm 

That's it! Thanks ethansmom!

Post subject: MILK BONE DOG TREATS
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:12 pm 

There is a box sold that has 4 varietys. One of those varietys is 'PEANUT BUTTER'. For those who are very ana. sensitive this could be a problem, if their dog ingested the peanut butter one and then gives kisses etc. as our dogs love to do. I have also noticed on certain brands of Dog Treats one of the ingredients is 'Peanut Meal' . Always read the label. I am allergic to nuts and peanuts but not soy, so I put 'soy nut butter' in my dogs 'KONG Toys', they do not no the difference and they love it.