You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: egg allergy?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:04 am 

Hello. I'm a 21 year old male. I've eaten eggs all my life, but when I was about 18 I started getting a weird feeling in my throat when I ate from time to time. I thought I was just eating to fast or too much or something. This went on for at least a year, and it gradually got worse. I finally realized that I might be allergic to something, and decided it was probably eggs. Sure enough, I ate an egg and I felt that lump in my throat. I suppose I was experiencing a type of anaphylactic reaction, right? Not being able to breath and feeling my throat close off. I've stopped eating eggs since then and have not felt. The thing is I've never had any other symptoms other than the lump in the throat. No itchiness or redness. I still eat all other products that might contain egg, just not egg itself.

Is it weird for an egg allergy to develop at my age? And is it weird that I didn't have any other noticeable symptoms, and that I can eat all other foods as long as I don't eat egg itself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I finally realized that I might be allergic to something, and decided it was probably eggs. Sure enough, I ate an egg and I felt that lump in my throat. I suppose I was experiencing a type of anaphylactic reaction, right? Not being able to breath and feeling my throat close off.

I'm not sure what to say except...why haven't you seen an allergist if you suspect an allergy?

If you have an allergy, the allergist will confirm this through testing and give you information about what to avoid. If you are at risk of anaphylaxis reactions you will also be prescribed an auto-injector of epinephrine (Epi-Pen or Twinject). This medicine is to halt the reaction and reverse it's effects. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening reaction, it can have a quick onset or be dalayed by hours. The last reaction is not an indicator of how swiftly or how strong the next reaction will be. This is a judgement that an experienced allergist can make based on several pieces of information.

If you suspect that you have an allergy to eggs which has affected your airway in the past and you continue to eat foods which contain egg without seeking medical advice first...you are putting your health at risk.

I would ask you to concider what is holding you back from making that appointment.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Last edited by _Susan_ on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 am 

I agree with Susan, and to answer your question, yes, you can develop an allergy at any age.

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:43 am 
Site Admin

If you're getting breathing symptoms, throat swelling definitely get yourself to a doctor.
You usually have to wait for an allergist referral - so your GP may want to give you an auto-injector (EpiPen or Twinject) prescription until you can get in to the allergist for proper testing.)

Re your "can you develop as an adult" question, as the other two have said, it is possible. Most allergists will tell you it's uncommon to get egg allergy per se as an adult, usually it's something like seafood. But again, it can/does happen.

I speak from experience: I'm adult onset to shellfish, soy and peanut. Only the shellfish onset is common in adults. One tip, before you see the allergist, write down any foods and food ingredients you would have been exposed to before the reaction. e.g. you think it's egg, but there could be another protein involved. Can you say what the exact ingredients were in the meal you ate? Any idea what kind of oil was used.

It's helpful since the allergist will go on your reaction history as well as the allergy tests.