You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:43 pm 

I looked at CALGON's self tanning lotion. Sure enough listed in the ingredients was peanut oil.

H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:32 pm 

you're welcome, Storm :) Who knows--maybe collectively our comments might have an impact.

Post subject: Bar Soap with Peanut Oil
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:39 pm 

Hi Shelly. I am told by my Pharmacist(who I have known for over 35 years) to avoid "Pears Glycerin Soap". He said it contains peanut oil. I found this out around 1994. He puts 'red stickers' on all products that contain peanut oil, in order that the cashier is aware to ask the consumer purchasing the product if they or a family member is allergic to 'Peanuts' and or 'Tree Nuts'.

I also know that there is an 'Ear Drop' formulation that also contains 'Peanut Oil', It was a lot of years ago that it was prescribed to me and he resharches every prescription for me, just to be safe that I do not ingest any peanuts or tree nuts. I rely very heavily on him to keep me safe. Unfortunately, I have no clue to the name. I only know that it was prescribed to me for itchy ears. I will call tomorrow and try and find out the proper name of the drops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:16 pm 

I agree, Lisa. It is important to lend our voices, as every drop in the bucket makes a difference. I not only complain to companies with unclear labelling, I also take the time to commend the companies and restaurants that are fine examples of allergy awareness. I think it's important to let them know that their efforts are appreciated and hopefully it will encourage them to keep catering to this segment of the population.

Monty, thanks for the info on Pears Glycerin soap. You are very lucky to have a pharmacist who is so allergy aware and looks out for allergic individuals. The red stickers are a great idea.

Thanks also to Halya27.

Post subject: Hayla27
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:56 pm 

Did label on Calgon Self Tanning Lotion list as "arachidic acid" or simply 'peanut oil'. I have never seen the word 'peanut oil' on any cosmetic/body product. Yet I often see the name 'arachidic acid'. on many products out there.

Cuddos to you and Thank You.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:40 am 

Thanks for the info everyone. I did e-mail Proctor and Gamble and they are referring my e-mail to their Canadian division so we'll see what happens. I agree that it is VERY important to recognize initiatives of allergy-aware companies and I have made it a point to do so, as well. My understanding is that one voice that speaks up is equivalent to many more that feel the same way but have not taken the time to vocalize their opinion. It makes a difference, even if you feel you are only one voice. The same principle applies to government, so I encourage everyone to take the time and voice their opinion, good or bad.

I am now more aware of all of the products I use in the house. We recently took a small road trip and I requested that the hotel room was specially cleaned. This is the first time since finding out the extent of my son's allergy that we have travelled. It was almost terrifying! We only drove to Fredericton from P.E.I. and I found myself on the highway wondering how far away from a hospital I was. We requested a microwave for our hotel room and I guess we have decided to purchase portable burners and our own microwave for the next time so we can cook on the road. We do not eat at restaurants anymore.

Travelling has been a big part of our lifestyle up until now. Some people spend money on new cars or other things. We travel. My son has been to Europe a few times already. Now I am wondering, I don't think I will ever take him again. The risk to him is huge if he has a reaction over the Atlantic in a plane. What would we do?

Those of you who have children or who are older with this type of allergy, do you travel at all? Is it worth the risk? Or am I over-reacting?

I consider myself to be a realist, but when it comes to my son, I am not willing to take risks.

Sorry for the long post but I have a question. When we arrived in Fredericton, and I think checked into the hotel, my son started sneezing and had a runny nose. It lasted overnight and we suspected it was a reaction of some sort. He also developed a fever so I thought maybe it wasn't an allergic reaction. I treated him with Benadryl and Children's Tylenol. He is fine now and got better before we checked out.

My question is this? The next time this happens, runny nose and sneezing, is it okay to just treat him with Benadryl. Is it possible that anaphylaxis can start this way? I will question his doctor. We go in a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this. He has been tested for environmental allergies and the results are negative. Can peanut do this? If a reaction like this occurs again, should I take it to be possibly life-threatening right away? This may be a heavy question for this type of forum but I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

shelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:28 pm 

Shelly,

i've heard that peanut allergies and environmental allergies often go together.....have you had your son tested recently? if not, you might want to have him tested again in light of the sneezing, etc. hotel rooms are havens for dust mites and molds. i'm not sure whether that could be the start of an anaphylactic reaction---it isn't for me. once, though, during an oral challenge, my nasal passages got really blocked up. i mentioned this to my allergist, and he said it was not likely that this would be a symptom of an allergic reaction in an adult. (he might have been implying that children *do* react that way...but i'm just inferring this.) he nevertheless checked my blood pressure just to be sure.....this might mean that there is a slight *chance* that a stuffy nose might be a symptom of a serious allergic reaction. (by the way, i wasn't allergic to the food. i do have all kinds of environmental allergies) i would guess that that sort of reaction to foods is rare....but i don't really know.

i've never heard of portable burners---sounds like a really great idea. what type did you get and where?

i travel occasionally to visit relatives and friends. if they are good with the cross contamination issue and get the allergy situation, i will sometimes eat the food they prepare. i once, however, brought my own pans and cutting board, etc. (anything that doesn't go in the dishwashter) and cooked and cleaned up after myself. i got the idea from someone on this message board. i'm a bit wary of planes....but i'm not going to avoid them entirely in future. i'm hoping though that they will ban nuts for the duration of the flight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 pm 

monty - the ear drops, which are an ear wax remover, is called Ceruminex. Personally, I refused to purchase it when it was prescribed for my son (though it's available OTC) because it says not to use with a perferated ear drum. My son had a severe ear infection, and tubes in his ears. A hole is put in the ear drum to place the tube. It was years later that I discovered this stuff had peanut oil.

Shelly, I am NOT a doctor, or a nurse, or any type of expert. Just a person living with a few allergies.

Sneezing and a runny nose, I would not use an epi-pen. I would use it for - breathing difficulties. It should also be used if two or more body systems are involved. I'm not sure I'd use it for that though. (For example, if I had hives and stomach cramping I know I SHOULD use it, but I probably wouldn't.)

Sneezing and runny nose are not *normal* peanut reactions, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be caused by it. Personally, I don't find very much about food allergies *normal*.

As for travelling - I stopped for a long time. I wouldn't go outside my city. Then, my dad invited me to PEI for two weeks - so I went. It was very nerve racking driving there from Toronto - adding in the fact that I get car sick. :oops: We actually plotted our drive to make sure we spent meal times and overnight near hospitals.

Then, we get there, and my dad had rented us a cottage in Lower Bedeque - which is further from the hospital then I wanted to be. We have been driving to PEI almost every year since, even though my son (7) has developed an insect allergy and has had two serious reactions plus some minor ones while on vacation. (We now stay near Union Corner which is probably further from the hospital.)

I don't do other travelling, but that's because I don't want to - not because of my allergies.

Also, you mentioned that your son has been tested for environmental allergies and the results are negative. However, he's negative for what he was tested for. He might be allergic to something that is not common in your area, and therefore he wasn't tested for it.

Post subject: Monty & Storm
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:40 pm 

I read the label in the store so I dont recall the specifics. I do remember the peanut oil was in brackets after the ingredient. Obviously it needed clarification somehow

I havent been as ****** about reading body/face product ingredients as I am with food products. Im glad I did in this case!!

Next time Im in the drug store Ill check it out again and post the ingredient name here.

H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:36 am 

I don't think it's **** to read all ingredients on everything you put in your mouth or on your skin. I think it's intelligent and wise. I certainly do it. You don't want an allergic reaction because you were too sloppy to read the labels. I applaude your attention to details.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:07 pm 

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:17 pm 

Lisa, we don't have a portable burner yet. We are thinking of looking around in case we decide to travel some more, by car for now. We probably won't think about any travel until next summer and then it will be local. Years ago they used to call them 'hot plates'. I just assumed that they are still available somewhere. Maybe you can't even get them anymore. I am going to go looking at Canadian Tire and other places like that. We got a portable camping stove from there to have just in case the power goes out in the winter. We haven't had to use it yet but I was thinking something like that would be a handy thing to have when you are travelling. Restaurants are definately out for us, at least for the forseeable future.
I have read Allergic Living magazine from cover to cover. I am going to subscribe. The theme throughout is that you should not let allergies stop you from doing what you want to do. However, I am left wondering whether eating out at a restaurant or travelling, as much as I love to do it, and have done it in the past, is worth risking my son's life.
He has not had an accidental exposure since his original diagnosis, over a year ago. Thank you, God. I think part of the reason for that is luck, but also super vigilance. What message are we supposed to take from these articles, and how do you all feel about it? I would be interested to hear what you have to say.
Is there a research thread in this forum? I am trying to find out as much as I can on what is happening. I had been reading about TNX-901 and kept waiting to hear an update on it. Last week I found out the whole story about it being scrapped. I was devastated. It gave me real hope for my son, so now I am trying to find out if there is any information or any timelines being published for release of something else which might also be beneficial. Is anyone knowledgeable about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:51 pm 

Thanks, Shelly. I've heard of hot plates before although I've never seen one in action--I'm sure I'll be able to locate them in Canadian Tire when I need to travel (usually I just visit family and friends, but when the time comes for me to apply for a job, I'll need to travel).

I also hesitate to eat in restaurants. There's a discussion on that article on 'taking control' here:
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304

A lot of people on this site seem to have had bad experiences eating out. I generally make it a rule not to eat out but sometimes I cave in and order a half chicken dinner at Swiss Chalet---without the bun (wheat allergy) or baked potato (potato allergy) or salad (oral allergy syndrome + major issues with most salad dressings). Oh yeah, and I can't have the sauce either (corn starch). So basically I just eat the chicken and have something to drink. One guy I went out with a couple of times seemed pleased about the fact that it didn't cost that much to take me out to dinner :lol:

As I think I mentioned elsewhere in the site, I have had severe reactions when my parents took me out to eat when I was a kid. Mylene had some good points on eating out since she used to work in the food industry (can't remember where this discussion was..it was a while ago).

Anaphylaxis Canada has some good tips for dining out safely. I've never actually tried going to a restaurant and asking all the detailed questions they suggest about food preparation and storage (i.e. "do kitchen staff wash their hands or change glovers prior to handling food for an allergic customer?" "is the food prepared and stored in a separate area of the kitchen away from the allergen?" is the meal prepared on site or are some of the ingredients from a supplier?) but if I did decide to eat out I would go with their suggestions.

The closest we have to a research thread is 'allergies in the news'....I'd certainly be interested in hearing about any research that you've found out about. I haven't heard of TNX-901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:57 am 

Lisa, here's a link to the scrapping of TNX-901 research.

http://www.faastcincy.org/basic/tnx_901.htm

Disclaimer: I do not know when this information was posted to the site, and I am not familiar with faast. I am linking only in answer to a specific question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:25 pm 

Thanks! At least they think that it is possible to create such a drug...I will look forward to the day when life-threatening peanut allergies are a thing of the past. Although I hope that this wouldn't detract attention from the question of why our immune systems have become so overreactive. At AllergyExpo, I heard that it isn't just allergies that are on the rise but all autoimmune diseases, and they don't really know why yet.