You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Halloween
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:07 am 

We Just found out my 5 year old son is class 3 allergy to peanuts, all nuts and seeds. I was wondering what we should do about Halloween. Let him go trick or treating and then just buy some of our own candy that we know thats save......or just skip it all together..I don't want him to miss out...

10 month old daughter: unknown

Husband: Penicillin,

Myself: Tree, grass, weeds, fur, feathers, Lactose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 am 

He won't miss out if you do this - Let him dress up, and do everything EXCEPT collect candy. Just buy him some of his own. :)

Hope that helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:31 am 

When I was younger I always went trick or treating but we had a little ritual afterwards that entailed spreading everything out on the floor and seperating what I could and couldn't eat. There are a lot of candy companies that are peanut free...WAY more than when I was little. Whatever I couldn't eat I gave away to my best friend and her family to share and the rest was mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:34 am 

I didn't do that, because of cross-contamination and such. I found it better to buy my own, that way I got whatever I wanted, and I could check the labelling first, instead of just, "Ohhhh, I hope some house has those ____!" Then again, I was never big on candy, or pop. O.o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:00 am 

True, cross contamination was always a concern. For the most part, everything was always in its seperate packaging and nothing was torn open, otherwise it would be out of the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:06 am 

Of course. :)
Otherwise it would be like taking sticks of gum from a pile of peanuts!

I think the amount in unsafe candy should decrease, as the allergy is becoming more common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:11 am 

My daughter is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She is three years old and last halloween was the first time we took her out trick or treating. She had a fantastic time, collected candy and when she came home we replaced what she had collected with safe candy we had purchased. She was more than happy to eat the candy and chips we had provided for her. My husband and I put the candy she had collected in an area she could not reach and we ate it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

You might be interested in some of the other Halloween threads:
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2862
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2695
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1587

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:38 am 

My allergic son (almost 6) dressed up and went trick-or-treating with his older siblings. He made sure to tell almost everyone along the way about his allergies. Nobody would give him peanuts after he told them he was allergic.I had bought some candy to replace the "allergy candy". When we got home I went through everything. If there's no ingredients list it doesn't get consumed. It's as simple as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:09 pm 

I'm anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts, and I went trick or treating every year when I was a kid. When I got home, my parents went through everything in my bag and only let me have what I could eat. Anything else they gave out to other kids who came to the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:40 am 

We let DS go trick or treating and, as already suggested, we simply remove any unsafe treats from his bag. He's still young (3 y/o), but when he's older we'll swap him safe treats for his unsafe treats, and give away the unsafe treats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Admin

For the past few years we have trick or treated with close friends. Afterwards the youngsters would sort through their loot and dd would trade unsafe for safe. What was left over was offered up to the Great Pumpkin for a present. I have a special pumpkin gift bag that he leave the present in. (She leaves a mixing bowl of candy and in the morning It's empty and the gift bag and toy is sitting beside it)

This year, plans have changed and we're trick or treating in our own neighbourhood for the first time. I suggested that we come home early and drop off the loot. Daddy could hand out the unsafe candy and she was mortified. "No, Mommy! I need that for the Great Pumpkin!" Looks like I might get some chocolate bars this year after all. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 am 

Like many of the replies here...we also let our peanut allergic child go "trick or treating" on Halloween. We also always sort her treats out before she is allowed to eat anything. We keep the stuff we know she can eat, and give the children in the neighbourhood the stuff that she cannot eat, and the stuff we don't want her to eat! We don't like our children to eat very much candy...so we tend to give that away too...we keep some chips and chocolate bars (smarties especially).

She enjoys dressing up and going door-to-door. The treats are really just an added bonus for her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

It is very cute to see how empowering it can be to face your fears, even if the fear is a spooky house!

My daughter has declined candy from those who offer peanuts in the shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:30 pm 

There was a short story about this on CTV tonight.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/

I can't see how to direct link to the story -- and I'm not sure if it will still be on the site tomorrow.