You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 pm 

OK so I ate about an egg and a half (jumbo!) and no symptoms. They said to "keep an eye on it" the next two days - possible reactions.

They also said I should not be concerned. I wasn't until they said to watch myself for two days!

I just feel nervous and am looking for any positive advice to get through the next two days.

(my skin *several times* and blood test ruled negative and this was at my insistence to have an egg challenge)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations on your challenge!

I think it's natural to be nervous, after all, this has been a very real threat for some time.

I suspect that reactions 2 days later are very rare but they need to warn you. Carry your auto-injector with you and don't hesitate to use it if you suspect symptoms are occuring but other than that you can "watch yourself " in terror in your own home or while out enjoying yourself...I'd opt for that latter.

Just think by this time the day after tomorrow, your world will be that much bigger.
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 am 

Thank you.

In february, after I found out my TEENAGER had a breast lump (egg sized oddly) it was a trying month. We found out she was fine and it was a cyst but I was already emotionally fried (an egg word LOL) at that point. I own a yoga studio and at the same time as finding out she was OK, I had to throw out an ADULT student who was incredibly rude (a woman) and I mean, foul language and over the top rudeness - refusing to wear a BRA to yoga etc....
So the day after I threw her out she was emailing and calling me and I was just trying to have peace..I made a nice eggs benedict dinner and sat down to eat, and as soon as I "relaxed" and started eating, I felt warm, my hands got flushed as did my chest....I took benedryl and was very "shaken up".... it never progressed and I was tested for all the offenders barring MSG (ew, like that could have been it) and Cayanne pepper. Everything else was negative and tested.

But since that date, since Egg was the most obvious, I did stay away from egg.

I went to two allergists and both said they felt it was a stress histamine reaction where flushing could occur.

There was no other symptom other than the flushing and AFTER that every time I got upset, I did the same thing - flushed.

I will tell you it could have been in my head; the lump she had was egg sized and my allergists wife - a nurse with seven adult children of whom three were high allergy kids - said that it is possible my brain sort of crosswired the offender and it was how I was dealing with her situation - and that as soon as it was over, I was not so stressed as to "stay healthy" (ie, after a wedding the bride often gets a cold...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

It's amazing how th human mind works. Stress can wreak havock on the body.

At least you have an outlet with your yoga studio to work out some of the stress but seeing as it's your business, it may not be as relaxing a place for you as it is for your students.

I'm glad to hear that your daughter is going to be OK. There is nothing worse than thinking something has happened to your child.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb