You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:06 pm 

Hi..I'm new to this forum. I have a 22 month old son with multiple food allergies, asthma, MRSA and ezcema. His food allergies include peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, coconuts as of now. We also found out the hard way that he's allergic to pet fur when he respiratory arrested after watching my moms dog for a few days.

Anyhow...this past week he had a severe allergic reaction to a lick of Hummus which contained chickpeas and sesame tahini. I'm assuming the reaction was to one of these since there was no other ingredients that was new (may be both ingredients). I'm taking him for more allergy testing in 2 weeks and was wondering what others with sesame have found to be allergic to. I can bring in any food to be tested but was wondering what else is in the same family as sesame that I can have him tested for. I also plan on bringing kiwi, sunflower seeds and of course the hummus he ate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated or a link to a site that would point me in the right direction too. :)
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Admin

i'm sure others with sesame allergies will post. Maenwhile, I will just point out the pamphlet put out by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... sese.shtml

Quote:
Other names for sesame seeds
Benne/benne seed/benniseed
Gingelly/gingelly oil
Seeds
Sesamol/sesamolina
Sesamum indicum
Sim sim
Tahina
Tahini
Til
Vegetable oil

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am 

The last I heard, Sesame isn't in a family -- it's a stand alone food. For reasons I've never understood, many people with sesame allergy are also allergic to peanuts and/or nuts. Some are also allergic to other seeds, but these are separate allergies, not families.

fyi - chickpeas are related to peanuts and soy.

It is becoming a more common allergy, and it is more often a severe (anaphylactic) allergy. I react very severely even to trace amounts of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:45 pm 

Are you in the USA or Canada? If Canada then the above link is *great*. It's great if you are in the USA but sesame doesn't have to be declared on labels here and can be listed as 'spice' or 'natural flavor', etc. Basically any time I see something on a label such as 'flavoring' or 'spice' or 'natural flavor', etc that doens'st clearly say what it contains I must call the company to check if it has sesame. And sesame isn't as well known here and my son has had serious reactions to foods that didn't list any sesame or warnings on them but were made on shared equip with sesame and not cleaned in between so I try to call every company anyway to ask about the chances of cross contamination.

Check out other posts below. There is good info here.

Post subject: sesame allergy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:03 pm 

Beware of bread crumbs and food made with bread crumbs such as:
Hamburgers, chicken nuggets, or fish sticks, particularly at a restaurant or at someone's house.

People who do not live with this allergy do not reaize that bread crumbs often contain sesame and can be a hidden danger.

My daugher is fine with wheat crumbs which are usullly used in packaged products.

Hope this helps.

Rosie
Daughter allergic to: Peanuts, Nuts, Sesame and Pumpkin seeds
Myself: allergic to fish and seafood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm 

Very good point, Rosie. When we need bread crumbs (which isn't very often), we save our own breadcrumbs from our homemade bread, or we will use crushed Cornflakes.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses