You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sunscreen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 am 

My son has very sensitive skin and in the past i've had a difficult time finding a sunscreen that he doesn't make him break out into hives. I've tried Ombrelle (the worst) and Aveeno baby (not bad - no break out on his arms, face but break out on his back - so I've bought one of those UV shirts for him to wear on the beach). Does anyone recommend any? Someone told me about a natural sunscreen found at Costco but after investigating I found that it contains salicylates which is a product derived from many fruits and nuts. So that one is out too.

I'd love to hear what sunscreens others are using.

Thanks,
boys' mom

5 year old - ana to egg, dairy, peaches, peanut, nut
9 year old - ana to peanuts, nuts, egg in pure form

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:04 am 
Site Admin

I don't have much to offer except to try to plan outdoor activites before 11am and after 4pm when the sun is not as strong.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 am 

I use baby Coppertone Spectra. My daughter's skin is very sensitive, and she's prone to lots of eczema, but she doesn't react to that one. I've also tried Ombrelle, and some Aveeno products, but she had rashes with them. The only downside to that sunscreen is that it contains zinc oxyde and leave a white film... but I don't mind...it works!!!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 pm 

I used to use Spectra for my daughter as well, but I have been unable to find it in any store this year. I have looked at Shoppers, Loblaws. I have not tried Walmart. I am in Ottawa, have you been able to find it in the stores this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 pm 

I think I have to agree with Susan; limit outdoor activity at peak sunshine hours.

We've been lucky with Ombrelle although any others we've tried cause my son's eczema to flare up badly.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:27 pm 

I recently bought a new sunscreen at the health food store here in Montreal so maybe you can check a health food store near you. The company name is Alba Botanica and their website is www.albabotanica.com. They have several different types of sunscreens, including one for kids which is waterproof and several unscented kinds as well. The website has a glossary of all the ingredients they use so you can find out specifically if there is anything in there that might not be good. Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 pm 

We use alba sunscreen as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:13 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Sunscreen for skin problems or allergies. People who have sensitive skin or skin conditions like rosacea may also benefit from using sunscreens designed for children. Go for titanium dioxide or zinc oxide instead of chemicals like para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), dioxybenzone, oxybenzone, or sulisobenzone. If you have skin irritation or allergies, avoid sunscreens with alcohol, fragrances, or preservatives.

According to WebMD
http://women.webmd.com/features/whats-b ... day_060508

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm 

darn that alba stuff looked promising but i need SPF 45, i'll stick with my ombrelle kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:50 pm 

We have religiously used Kinesys for Kids (even before we had kids!) for at least 10 years. We love it because it is so easy to put on that you don't dread re-applying, and my husband hates to put cream on his hairy legs. :) It is a fragrance-free 30 SPF spray and goes on like an oil, so you have time to spread it really well and then 2 minutes later it is perfectly dry - absolutely no greasy feel. You can get it at Costco - it actually lists the following allergy information on the package:
Quote:
No oil, alcohol, PABA, parabens, perservatives, nanoparticles, nuts, nut-oils, gluten, dairy, egg, soya, sulphites or colourant were added to this product.
However, it does say that it contains salicylates - but given the above statement, I would guess they are not salicylates derived from nuts.

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 pm 

Sunscreen reactions are such a common problem with allergy-prone individuals. We've had terrible luck with sunscreen... our son seemed to react to all of the ones we tried (which was many!), however, this year I found one which he seems to be tolerating better than others: Neutrogena Sensitive Skin . It's in a small white bottle (118 ml) with blue writing and a blue cap. Here is a little more information provided on the bottle:

Neutrogena
Sensitive Skin
Physical Block
SPF 30
Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Lotion
no irritating chemical sunscreens

on the back:
- gentle oil free formula
- hypo-allergenic (this does not always mean allergen-free!)
- fragrance free
- PABA-free
- Non-comedogenic

Medicinal ingredient: titanium dioxide (9.1%)

So far, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin has been good for our son, but I'm thinking of trying out the one mentioned from Costco as well - it sounds quite promising!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:00 pm 

I was just on the phone with Neutrogena, and the lady read to me the list of ingredients in their Sensitive Skin sunscreen, and it was free of any oils or natural products aside from glycerin and paraben. She also confirmed that it is completely dairy free and peanut free, and she'll call me back for other allergens, as they do not keep the information on hand... One of the thing I like about this one is that it is a physical sunscreen, so no harsh chemicals that could flare up the excema.

I also called Coppertone and they discontinued their 'Spectra' line, but will re-introduce it next year! :roll:

I think I'll get some of that Kinesys stuff at Costco. Is it a physical or chemical sunscreen?

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 pm 

We use California baby. Their products are available at some health food stores or order online. Personally, my dad is a long haul truck driver and goes into the U.S. often and stops in at a health food store in wisconsin that he can easily park at. Geez, the things us allergy moms have to do sometimes to get our favorite products :roll: .Their products are AWESOME. We use their sunscreen, shampoo/body wash, conditioner, bubble bath, and bug blend sunscreen. http://californiababy.com/super-sensitive.html

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 pm 

We use Coppertone Oil-free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:46 pm 

I've just started using Aubrey Organics Natural Sun SPF25 for my son. He hasn't had any rashes or hives from it, thank goodness. We got it from the health food store.