You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chickpeas?
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:24 pm 

Our allergist has suggested we avoid chickpeas as they're closely related to peanuts. Anyone else been given the same advice?

Our daughter went off humus (which used to be her favourite food) around the same time her peanut allergy sufraced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:20 pm 

Jeff, Our son's allergist has suggested that our son avoid ALL beans and legumes. Here's our son's history with relation to this: At 6 months of age, our son reacted (hives) to green peas. Sure enough, at 12 months of age, our son had a positive test (skin test) to green pea (aside: as well as sesame seed, sunflower seed, salmon & egg). Our son's allergist indicated that the reaction to green pea could be an indicator that he could be allergic to peanut. At 2 years of age, our son tested positive to peanut (we had never fed our son peanut, but he must have come across it somehow). Has your child ever had a reaction to chick peas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:03 pm 

Are people who are severely allergic to peanuts supposed to avoid string beans as well? I'm asking because while I don't eat any legumes (I've reacted to peas, soy, lima beans, baked beans and have never tried anything else) I do eat green and yellow wax beans. I have reacted slightly to green beans (just a bit of itchiness in my throat), but I don't react all the time so I eat them anyways. On my last allergy test I tested positive for string beans. Haven't discussed the results yet with the allergist--he's testing me for just a few things at a time and I imagine we'll have this discussion after all the tests are through...which might not be for a while judging by how booked he usually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:11 am 

Julie

she has never reacted to chickpeas but did suddenly decide she didn't like them (at 18 mos old) which is probably a good indicator. She's 5 now and is *not* interested in trying hummus again and we avoid chickpeas. Baked beans on the otherhand she loves and has never had an issue.

Mostly was just curious.

Lisa, our allergist only spoke of chickpeas but we have a friend who's children are allergic to basically any legume. Sorry I don't have specifics.
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:26 pm 

Thanks--I didn't realize before that green beans were legumes! Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 pm 

my PA son reacts more strongly to chick peas than to peanuts. No one had to tell us to avoid chich peas!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:33 am 

I am allergic to lots of the legumes. I always throughed up from lima beans as a child. I become allergic to peanuts, licoroice, green beans,kidney beans, even told to not have soy. I used to eat the green beans but take the seed( do not know what is really called) out and put it on the side of the plate and eat the out side.
I was also told if it makes your throat itchy(me it was bannas) and the Allergiest told me not to eat them anymore. Mind you my Uncle had the same reaction, so we though it was normal. It was the 1960's or 70's.
I have looked for dried peas and they always say may contain trace elements of peanuts. I like home made pea soup, so I do not buy them. Maybe I will get some and be able dry them at home and have some soup in the winter. I bought a dehydater last summer as I grow my own herbs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:42 pm 

my allergist and to now dont react to them. I had lupini beans yesterday and fresh green beans 3 nights ago and no reaction (thank God!) My ana reaction is solely with peanuts.
H.

Post subject: legumes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:03 pm 

When my son had his anaphalactic rx I asked our pediatrician if he could still have lentil/chickpea soup - he looked at me as if I grew two heads - of course he can why not? It would be really good for him. When I said to him because they are legumes he seemed a little embarrased but still said to give it a try. Isaac (then 1 yr, now 4) doesn't seem interested in it anymore, and like most of the postings when they don't like it - I don't push it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:48 am 

Hi,

My sons used to love green peas. I would give them the frozen ones to pick on as I was making dinner. All of a sudden My older son no longer wanted to eat them and I couldn't figure out why.

My MIL would make a lentil soup that my girls loved so I fed it to the boys once. They loved it as well. When I fed it to them the second time they took one mouthful and refused to eat any more a minute later they were both full of hives.

We were once on a school picnic and one of the moms brought chick peas and my little one loved them. a minute later he was full of hives.

When I finally put it all together :idea: peanuts= legumes I felt like a real idiot. :oops: Duh!
When I mentioned it to the allergist he told me he couldn't test for them unless he had the fresh product I figured the hives were test enough and I now avoid them.
Which is really sad because they loved going to my dads and raiding his garden of fresh peas and broad beans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:37 pm 

Sil - what do you mean your allergist couldn't test for them?

Our allergist did a scratch test on dd for chickpeas, string beans & peas. Chickpeas came back positive, the other 2 were negative. She's also allergic to Peanut, was allergic to Soy but it's more of a sensativity now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:39 pm 

The allergist said he could not test for them because he did not have the product there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:51 pm 

I would imagine that not all allergists keep all the serums on hand. Our son has been tested for green pea & soy, but we were asked to bring in kidney beans and white beans for testing as they did not have the serum for these. A call to the allergist's office prior to the appt could prepare you for any "fresh" foods you might have to bring in. Some of the fresh foods might require a little prep on your part... I had to boil the white beans prior to bringing them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:28 pm 

Julie,

Quote:
I would imagine that not all allergists keep all the serums on hand. Our son has been tested for green pea & soy, but we were asked to bring in kidney beans and white beans for testing as they did not have the serum for these. A call to the allergist's office prior to the appt could prepare you for any "fresh" foods you might have to bring in. Some of the fresh foods might require a little prep on your part... I had to boil the white beans prior to bringing them in.

Your right. I was just unaware of the need to bring the chick peas in etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:39 am 

Quote:
Our allergist has suggested we avoid chickpeas as they're closely related to peanuts. Anyone else been given the same advice?

I've been given the same advice, that is, to avoid legumes and lentils. I've never had humus, as I was diagnosed way too far back to remember food before the peanut allergy. My mom and sister eat humus all the time, though, and I don't have a problem being around it.

As for other bean-y type stuff... I eat kidney beans all the time (chili con carne) and frozen peas once in a while (stuff like Chicken Pot Pie). Fresh green beans make my mouth itch, but canned green beans are fine. Tofu makes my mouth itch, and I assume soy beans would too, but I eat soy sauce all the time, and random food always has soybean oil in it. Baked beans, refried beans, black beans... All fine.

I remember my old allergist saying something about how sometimes processing breaks down the stuff in food that you can be allergic too, which makes sense considering the trends I listed above.

On a slightly related note,
I had some sushi today actually that had what looked like some form of bean sprouts in it... It made my mouth itch, so I didn't eat any more. Which kind of sucked, because it was listed on the menu as Smoked Salmon Roll, not Smoked Salmon and Bean Sprout Roll. And the salmon in the roll was really good.