You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:42 pm 

It is difficult to find Toilet Paper that doesn't have Corn on it.

I use Angel Soft and it seems to be OK.

However, when I travel if I don't bring my own Toilet Paper I usually end up with hives and cuts in that private area from the Corn.

Lesson known: Bring my own toilet paper.

How many others have this problem with Toilet Paper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:25 pm 

*raises hand*

There are some that are less troublesome than others... But regardless of the brand I can't use the starting point or the end point of a roll. DAMN GLUE! Here I am taking the roll off with a few wraps still in place and setting it to the side so the rest of the family can finish it up. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:36 pm 

i going to start taking my own after the other day in the bathroom at Meijers I had a problem with thier TP.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:23 pm 

[color=indigo][color=red][/color][/color]
So bittersweet [/[i]i]to find out I am not alone...
my bum is extremely bothered mostly by CHARMIN (which is the only t.p. my mother-in-law buys)and I am also allergic to PUFFS tissues and BOUNTY paper towels---all are loaded with corn starch and made by the same company. (My corn allergies affect my bottom even if I just touch something--it is very strange but nonetheless, true.) I never liked Charmin anyways because it is incredibly dusty. I seem to do okay with regular SCOTT-- also, the simpler paper has less chemicals like Formalin (related to formaldehyde) in it. I always stay away from the beginning and end of the rolls though because of the glue.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:21 pm 

Are you sure Bounty has Corn? I have used Bounty for years with no problems.

Usually I get a skin reaction right away to Corn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:59 pm 

Bounty is a Confirmed Corn Free from the company according to one of the lists I use:

http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/

To save you from wondering about the code after each item:
Legend:
CC – Company confirms or claims product to be corn-free.
CC 10/06 – Date last confirmed with company.
? – Items thought to be corn-free. Successfully eaten by at least one person, but more confirmation is needed.
Untested – Company Confirmed corn-free, but no one has tested it to my knowledge.
Reported Reactions – Reactions have been reported, but may or may not be corn related. Use with caution.
KFP = Kosher For Passover
GFCF = Gluten-Free/Casein-Free
GF = Gluten-free (Gluten status is not always up-to-date on this list. Please check the gluten-free version of this list for more up-to-date gluten-free & corn-free products)

Quote:
Paper Products:
Bounty Paper Towels CC 11/06
Brawny paper towels (watch glue on 1st & last sheets) CC 9/07
Sparkle Paper Towels (gluten on first and last sheets)
Kirkland (Costco) Paper Towels CC 10/06

Angel Soft Bathroom Tissue
Kirkland (Costco) Facial Tissues CC 10/06
Scott’s Brand Tissues (regular only)

Alway’s Sanitary Napkins and tampons.

Huggies Extra Sensitive Wipes CC 9/06 (reaction reported, unknown source of reaction)
Tushies Baby Wipes (glycerin possible corn)
Pamper’s Diapers CC 8/06

Personal opinions here:
-Huggies is hit and miss for me. It has to be one particular style only but they were better than most and they are a Kimberly Clark Product.
-Always is a NO GO for me - Not a good place to be. In fact I may have to mention that to the people doing this list. I think it is the processing plant or the new materials they are using. I have solidly gone to the Diva Cup.
-Kirkland Facial Tissue - So far so good.

And I am out on a limb right now testing Cashmere. So far so good but I am a wipe with a clean cloth and water or a wipie kind of girl so I may have to brave it and test it without for a couple days to find out.

If you did go to the list and scroll to the bottom and start clicking into the places it links to... Don't be surprised to find my name a couple times. I'm on this whole corn thing like mad. And anyone out shopping for fabrics might want to check that information there too... :(

SIDE NOTE - Avoiding Glue - Not just on the first and last sheets usually if you are sensitive enough try taking the top 2 layers off and setting them aside for someone else on all things with glue. I am having a much better time of it now that I have taking it down another later. Mind you I should say that the start of the Cashmere roll seems to have less glue than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 pm 

Always pads are still working for me, although by day 6 I start to have problems.

Other pads the pain is immediate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:34 pm 

CosmicChaos wrote:
Always pads are still working for me, although by day 6 I start to have problems.

Other pads the pain is immediate.

It worked for me till about 9-10 months ago... Then no matter what I wore it was like having TSS mildly... If that makes sense. It was scary so I went looking and decided to try the Diva Cup. If anyone goes that route... And needs pointers or tips on a few things lemmie know. They have a learning curve but once oyu are use to them it makes a huge difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:41 am 
Site Admin

I have often wondered about the Diva Cup...maybe I should think more on this, hmmm.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:55 am 

Honest to goodness... It's made a huge change for me. MASSIVE... Positively the best choice I have made for myself in a while...

But it takes a bit of practise... and the cup contents can be bemusing. Once you have the hang of it you are good though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:09 pm 

Approx. 1 1/2 yrs ago I contacted Proctor and Gamble regarding cornstarch in their paper products. At first the cust. service guy on the phone was very arrogant ---insisting I must be nuts to think they would put cornstarch in t.p., etc. but then after putting me on hold (after I insisted he find out for sure) and sure enough they do (he was very apologetic)---so I see that a lot---just because someone answers the phone doesn't mean they have the answers--at least the correct ones. Puffs and Charmin definitely do--I thought Bounty did, but, I have never bought them, I never liked them, but, I definitely know what they look like and steer clear of them now --perhaps in vain- still don't know for sure yet.
I tried to find out from their website, but to no avail.
Furthermore, they do not post their phone number as far as I could see (you can email them, which I did not) but I did find this on their site:

Question
Is Bounty kosher?

Answer
Ingredients with starch derivatives are widely used in the manufacturing process of many paper products and may possibly be found in various stages of our paper-making process. If you're concerned about the starch content, we suggest you use Bounty paper towels for non-food related tasks (such as window cleaning or wiping up spills). For additional information, contact your rabbi.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I am SORRY if I posted a misinformation about the status of Bounty being corn free, if that is indeed incorrect---does anyone here use them without reactions???????
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I use the Huggies sensitive wipes, they seem to be okay--not perfect, but okay, but no major reactions.

I also cannot use styrofoam cups (not that I want to use them, but I am sure I had reactions and now I totally stay away from them)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:29 pm 

Okay, I see Cosmic Chaos uses BOUNTY without reactions, so I got back on the Bounty website and emailed them --so I will let you know. Does anyone else use them without reactions????

I use Brawny paper towels and they seem fine for me.

Always pads and liners seem okay, but not totally sure, but I have :always" used that brand.

When using a public restroom, I often react to the hand soaps. The bubblegum pink colored stuff is the worst!!! But I usually react to most of them (citric acid I think)
But since I am a bit germophobic, I never touch door or faucet handles without t.p. or paper towels, so the last thing I want to do is get out my own soap--plus I am not that into carrying purses, esp bulky ones. I just got back from a trip where I was constantly washing my hands in public places and I just can't go through that again. Does anyone else have this problem??? How do you handle it????

I just found individual packets of hand sanitizing wipes at Whole Foods they are called "CLEAN WELL" they are made mostly from Thyme oil--and no alcohol.
www.cleanwelltoday.com
I only bought 2, and didn't try them yet.
I was also looking at getting the Desert Essence Tea tree towellettes--anyone ever try them?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:23 pm 

I use bounty with no issue when I use them. We mostly buy paper towel for my little one but I think I am going to switch completely again because the trial run for them was better. And I know others who use it. Regularly. But if you are using Brawny and avoiding the glue then no worries... Why switch? They are both Confirmed Corn Free from the company.

As for it being Kosher - no clue.

I am with you on Styrofoam cups. I think they are likely rinsed or dusted with something. ICK! Not a happy place for me.

Always are ALSO on the safe list. Though for me I can not use them. They could be used over the rest but I am so glad to not go there that I like my Diva Cup.

I carry my own soap. I cut my bar soap into tiny slivers... I take one out, use it, and toss the rest. I cut them REALLY small so it can be done as a single use. I keep them in a tiny ziplock bag (yes ziplock... not a knock off because they cause me issue). Just use a very sharp knife, and cut cleanly.

I've not tired the wipes or towelettes. And I am considering taking a small ziplock with paper towels to dry with because I won't use the bathroom ones. I wipe my wet hands on myself first. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:04 pm 

I don't know if this will help in the soap use dept. I have seen these little soap pkg.s that you can buy at camping stores. I have never bought them but they look like soap slivers in a very, very small case. I have no info on what they are made of I only remember them being made for single use and they are compact. I would wonder if camping stores would have other possible alternatives for tissue as well? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 pm 

paige H wrote:
I don't know if this will help in the soap use dept. I have seen these little soap pkg.s that you can buy at camping stores. I have never bought them but they look like soap slivers in a very, very small case. I have no info on what they are made of I only remember them being made for single use and they are compact. I would wonder if camping stores would have other possible alternatives for tissue as well? :)

Were these the ones? http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/55

IN NO WAY DO I ADVOCATE THE USE OF THESE - THERE IS NO INGREDIENTS LISTED ON THE SITE!

I am purely asking if these are the ones you were thinking of... but I don't want anyone to use them without looking into them...