You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:26 am 
Site Admin

I know that I shouldn't shop when I'm tired but if I waited until I was well rested I would never set foot in a store :roll:

Normally, my husband does the shopping and we both insist on reading every label 3x's.
Once when we make the decision to purchase the item, once when we put in the pantry and once when we open the item. We do this for every single package regardless of how often we have purchased it in the past. Formulations change and substitutions are made when ingredients are not available.

I was running on 6 hours of sleep yesterday, which may have been why I thought grocery shopping sounded like a good idea.

I like to find new items while my husband tends to stick to the tried and true. I picked up a package of Dare Chocolate Chip cookies thinking these would be good for sending to daycare if they were safe. They are Dare after all. That brand has always been very good about labelling and look, it states very clearly Contains: wheat and soy (no dairy) right below the ingredients and right above the statement about the facility being peanut/ nut free.

Once home I proudly showed my husband the box. Luckily, he noticed that one of the ingredients listed was butter oil. A quick phone call confirmed that yes, this product does contain dairy and yes, they have changed the packaging to reflect this in the future.

So it just goes to show, you can gloss over an ingredient and you can't always go by the "contains" information below the ingredients list.

Dare is, in my mind, a very responsible company who prides themselves in the trust and loyalty they have established in the allergy community. If an oversight can be made here, it can be made anywhere.

I attended an evening at our local support group last year where Dr. Shelley Jordan (PhD, CPsych) spoke about anxiety levels in individuals with food allergies. She advised us not to tell our children that a food was "safe" because if it turned out to not be, then we could not be trusted and nothing cold be considered safe.

She advised us to say something along the lines of "I have read the ingredients, called the company etc and I believe that it is alright to eat this."

But most of all, while we do the best that we can in determining what is fit to eat and what is not. In the end, No Epi = No eating.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:31 pm 

It is interesting that the product in question was those Dare chocolate chip cookies because I picked up one of those boxes not too long ago and was very confused. I have been avoiding dairy for a little while and the "butter oil" got me a bit upset. I asked myself what the point was of putting the "Contains: soy and wheat" if they didn't put other main allergens. It also surprised me that it was Dare because they have been a favorite in my house for a long time.
We read the labels 3 times as well and have adopted a "when in doubt, go without" attitude because as frustrating as it is to find something that looks really good to eat and then not be sure whether it's ok or not, it's not worth taking risks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:18 pm 

Because we have to read the label on all products it takes much longer for those of us with allergies to go grocery shopping. I to have come home after shopping to find I have purchased products I cannot have (must have read too quickly, an old favorite that has changed or I really wanted the item). I always double check the label again before anything goes in my mouth, I think this is a good practice as I have slipped up many of times only to catch it at home.

I have even done this while out for lunch (shopping with friends). I got tired and thought the fries with my lunch would be just fine no questions asked. Good thing my non-allergic friend was looking out for me. In BIG bold letters behind the till FRENCH FRIES NOW COOKED IN PEANUT OIL!!! Where was my head at, I let my guard down I guess thats when reactions happen, I was just fine and I also chose to eat from somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:03 am 

Yes, I read the labels three times as well... sometimes a fourth. I always read the label when choosing an item, when putting it in the pantry and when opening it up to serve it. I also sometimes read the labels while taking the groceries out of the cart at the check-out.

Dare has recently changed their Oatmeal cookies recipe... they now contain dairy. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 pm 

I read the label with a magnifying glass and my daughter reads it and then I read it again. Before I consume it i read it yet another time. :shock: I manage to miss an allergen a few times still.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Momofhalfadozen wrote-
Quote:
I read the label with a magnifying glass

Yes! I hate when they use really small case or white ink on a shiny foil package. What is the point putting it on if we can't read it?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:03 pm 

Hi there.. very good idea about looking at the label content 3 times. Unfortunately, I only view it carefully once, which one time it back fired on our family. I overlooked an ingredient and one of my family member had to go to Urgent Care. All was well though. Since then i have viewed the labels more than once before using the item.